PDA

View Full Version : Can you knit when it's real hot?

Woodi
07-27-2010, 06:49 PM
We've had unusually hot weather lately, nearly 90F, or 30 to 32C. We don't have A/C so my fingers get too sticky to hold yarn. But I so ache to knit!
Maybe I'll bring a project to an A/C'd mall and knit there....

borealowl
07-27-2010, 07:39 PM
I find it hard to knit in those temps and even in 70s here in Alaska. Cotton is a little easier to knit with than wool when it is hot. That is a good time to spend looking at pattern books and reading.

bambi
07-27-2010, 08:05 PM
I still try to knit or I get really behind on my projects.

Ok, can I just tell you Alaskans and Canadians that it is 100* here in Savannah with 98% humidity, making our heat index 115* today. I would kill for your "hot" weather right now! I am from Chicago so I'm not handling this all very well. :hot:

vaudiss
07-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Even those of us in the deep south can't get used to this heat....I'n moving and as I got in the car w/ this afternoons load of boxes it was still 102. The car was in the shade adn it was 630 in the evening....UUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGG

suzeeq
07-27-2010, 11:21 PM
Heh well, in Wyoming we have almost no humidity, 9%, but over 90 is still hot. Heck, even over 85 is hot - the altitude makes the sun more intense.

Shandeh
07-27-2010, 11:26 PM
I hate summer here in Charlotte, NC. Just unbearably hot. When I open the door to go outside, it feels like I'm walking into an oven! I usually stay inside most of the time during the summer, and wait for Fall.

I have been knitting a LOT in my craft room this summer. We keep the Central AC running, and ceiling fans are going all over the house as well.

When I leave the house to teach piano lessons, I quickly get in the hot car, and turn on the AC as high as it will go until the car cools down. No knitting outside, of course.

Becky Morgan
07-27-2010, 11:47 PM
Libraries are usually air-conditioned too!:)
Try small stuff, cotton, and lace. I have stiff hands these days and keep looking at my toothpick needles and crochet thread, wondering whether that would be easier now.
Try slippers, headbands, wrist warmers (at this rate we'll need wrist COOLERS)...although I've been trying to knit a pair of slippers for a friend and realize I've been avoiding them because they're big soft bulky yarn that looks too warm!

Jan in CA
07-27-2010, 11:55 PM
I don't have a/c and living in southern CA can get hot even near the beach. A couple weeks ago it got over 100..eek. Fortunately I don't sweat so that's not an issue, but even in a dry heat over 90 is hot so I usually avoid those days or wait till it's cooling in the evening.

hyperactive
07-28-2010, 03:30 AM
Hi!
Here in Germany we had a heat spell that went for 4 weeks, pretty much all over 30-something, up to 36 and 38 C
For Germany, that is hot.
Well, the worst was, that the night temps stayed well over 20 for most of that time, so things got pretty tough.

I still did knit. Of course.

But I only did cotton, thin strings, lace... No big projects, nothing to majorly lie on my lap... And I wash my hands well with soap in between to make my hands less sticky.

Now it cooled off and we have a blessing week of rain. Still knitting! But maybe I can finally finish that Norwegian vest I made a while ago. It needs some non-pattern knitting or crochet on the top because the neck opening is very wide and does not hold form well because yarn is too light, it's the "One Pounder" stuff from the US. Thick but light. And synthetic. That was a project I did not want to touch at all.

Just hang in there with your knitting. You just need multiple projects on your needles and then you switch according to your mood and the weather!

cftwo
07-28-2010, 08:39 AM
We've had some pretty warm weather here this summer, too, and I've actually made some progress with some UFOs. The tank in Berroco Comfort DK was nice, but the sweater in Cascade 220 is a bit warmer in my lap. I did learn one summer that summer is NOT the time to make an afghan. :)

margz3
07-28-2010, 09:50 AM
We've had temps well into the 90's and lots of humidity here in MA for most of the summer (BIG change from last year, when we had about 4 days of summer!) I haven't done much knitting at all :sad: Just little things like coasters (which have come in very handy as any drink you pour immediately starts to sweat!). I am SO behind! I'm working on 3 baby blankets.....2 of the recipients just had their babies, ugh! Well, with these temps, at least I know that they aren't in need of the blankets right now!

hyperactive
07-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Well, with these temps, at least I know that they aren't in need of the blankets right now!
that is really true!
MA usually is not SO bad - from all the time I spent there... (quite some time in the last few years). But summers can be strangely different, I guess!

Sunshine's Mom
07-28-2010, 11:50 AM
It's hot here in NY too, but I find that a nice sip of cold beer between rounds or rows while knitting helps to keep everything in perspective. It will be winter before we know it and I'll be wishing for this heat then!

mspwrz
07-28-2010, 01:48 PM
I guess you get used to it although it does seem like a mild summer here in Texas. We have yet to have an official 100 temp. in our area. The heat index has been above that though. I have knit a lot this summer both indoors under AC and out. As a teacher I enjoy having the extra time to knit the summer brings.

etoilechaude
07-28-2010, 01:51 PM
I don't really mind knitting in the heat... my neighbor and I usually lay out at the pool and knit - we get weird looks, but I see no reason not to! :)

mspwrz
07-28-2010, 02:10 PM
I knit just about everywhere, DH is on vacation this week and we went to McDonalds for breakfast and conversation with some of his friends. He talked, I knit. Yesterday I worked on a shawl and today I am learning to knit socks for the first time. I have made lots of friends by knitting out loud. They think it is cool.

hyperactive
07-28-2010, 03:03 PM
I don't really mind knitting in the heat... my neighbor and I usually lay out at the pool and knit - we get weird looks, but I see no reason not to! :)

:happydance: sounds great.

I will take knitting on my camping vacation (car and tent) to Sweden and will knit on lake shores if it's up to me

Woodi
07-28-2010, 06:39 PM
haha, I like the "knitting out loud" phrase. by that you mean 'knitting in public', right? Sounded funny haha.

I cannot imagine knitting by the pool, wouldn't be able to manage it. I picture wet, soggy yarn, bare toes stubbed on needles, feet tangled in yarn.....but that's just me, hehe. Can't always keep my stuff together.

mspwrz
07-28-2010, 10:51 PM
Yes I mean knitting in public. Sometimes we tend to be timid about our participation in the fiber arts. I happen to think many people would be far better off if they would allow themselves to experience the calming effects of knitting.

ArtLady1981
07-29-2010, 12:58 AM
I can knit in any weather...0 degrees to 100 degrees.
As long as I can find some shade, or plug in a fan...I'm good!

I use Pampers Baby Wipes to keep my hands clean and silky smooth. The bit of aloe in the wipes is perfect for knitter hands. But they don't leave any residue on your hands. I really love them.

Before Pampers Baby Wipes, I kept a wet terry cloth in a ziploc bag in my knitting bag, and cleaned my hands regularly. Even plain water helps remove sticky icky from your hands.

borealowl
07-29-2010, 01:18 AM
Glad I am not in Savannah. Have been thinking of moving south again although I like cool summers. I am starting to get tired of the extreme cold in winter though since I live in the Interior. One January (a few years back) it never got above -60 degrees. Planes couldn't even fly. That doesn't happen real often and winters are warming. Last winter we hardly had any forty below. I've been working on a log cabin blanket that is way too hot for my lap. Went to some smaller fingerless mitts today.

hyperactive
07-29-2010, 08:24 AM
I really like the idea with the baby wipes. sounds good.

knit4mykids
10-26-2010, 12:12 PM
I live in East Texas and we have just gone through a brutal summer. However, it is NEVER too hot to knit!!!:roflhard:

Daylilydayzed
10-27-2010, 10:09 AM
I knitted string market bags this summer while I was inside . the heat and humidity really get to me ever since I collasped on my crossing from heat exhaustin. I always have a big insulated mug of ice tea near me to sip on when it is 95 degrees with a humidity level of 85 %. It feels like an oven outside when I go out. I take ice water in a zip lock baggie with chunks of ice in the water. I have two wascloths in the bag with the ice and water. I use one to roll up and drape around my neck to help keep me cool and the other washcloth is used to wipe my face and arms with ice water to cool me down. Being a school crossing guard I am out in all kinds of weather. I am just glad that it is not where snow falls.

AIR
10-28-2010, 12:12 PM
When it is hot, I use regular sanitizer... it helps for quite a long time...;)