PDA

View Full Version : Droid X

ArtLady1981
08-13-2010, 07:01 AM
I visited the Verizon store this week and tried the new DROID X phone. I logged onto both Ravelry and Knitting Help...and the phone works with both sites. Yay! I was able to respond to messages, type posts, etc. My current phone (the Samsung Saga) only works with Ravelry, not KH.

I'll be upgrading to the DROID X (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5369) soon! (but what an awful name, :ick: blech! too close to the word 'roids'! what genius came up with the name "droid"?)

N0obKnitter
08-13-2010, 12:57 PM
I think it's a derivative of "android" :)

Ronda
08-14-2010, 11:08 AM
I have a Droid Eris, and I really don't like it. Too many problems. It acts just like my PC! I've heard the newer Android phones are better, though. I am not thrilled with the idea of being stuck with this phone for 2 years.

ArtLady1981
08-14-2010, 03:44 PM
I've put the Droid X in my shopping cart twice now, and just can't bring myself to the "check out"! I've read good things about it, but you MUST purchase an extra battery for it, cuz it drinks up the juice like mad! If you are away from a power source, you'll have a dead phone on your hands. There is an extended battery in 'accessories' that wasn't there on Monday...so I'm guessing Verizon and Motorola will be making more improvements as time passes. That's kinda what I'm waiting to see. Also, the Flash 10 hasn't been released for it either.

letah75
08-14-2010, 11:15 PM
I have an X and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. The battery is actually pretty good. If you get a free task killer it helps with the battery life. Most smart phones eat battery, but the X is actually one of the better smartphones for battery.

I do sooooo much on this phone. There are some nice knitting apps for Droid too.

etoilechaude
08-15-2010, 12:51 AM
I've read good things about it, but you MUST purchase an extra battery for it, cuz it drinks up the juice like mad!

To be honest, ALL smartphones are going to drain batteries like crazy. My partner and I ordered extra batteries for our Droids and we also got docking stations that charge the phone and battery at the same time. We ordered from Amazon and saved a ton of $$$ (if you want I can look up what we ordered....)

I recently read an article about smartphones and battery usage and it really made sense... basically, they inproved phones to do amazing things, but they didn't improve batteries, so you have to change your charging schedule. I also ordered some extra USB cords and universal USB chargers from another company (also WAY WAY WAY cheaper than Verizon etc) and I plug my phone in every chance I get.

I used to run out of battery by mid-day, but now that I know what I "need" to have running and kill things that aren't going to be used, I only have to charge it overnight. Not quite as cool as only charging my LG phone every 4 days, but I get a LOT more use out of my Droid!!!!!

Hope that helps :o)

(BTW my extra battery has only been used one since I got it... )

ArtLady1981
08-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Based upon your feedback, letah75 & etoilechaude, I just submitted my order for the new Droid X! Thanks so much for your help!

I'm very excited to get my hands on a smartphone that will work with both KH and Ravelry. They are the only two knitting forums that I participate in, or even look at, for that matter! I think the Droid X will even work more efficiently with Ravelry than my current smartphone (the Samsung Saga). And up til Droid X, my Samsung Saga doesn't cooperate with KH at all. I'm dead in the water.

I did purchase an "extended battery", so I will have two. I purchased two additional wall chargers for pure convenience, and of course, a car charger. Thanks Evan, for the heads up about saving money on accessories for the Droid X on Amazon. I'll take a look over there for additional accessories. I got what I considered the bare minimum when I ordered the phone.

I'm hoping that websites like Flickr will be displayed more accurately, too! At the moment, I don't have a Facebook page. Had to tank it due to hacking issues. But I hope to re-enter the Facebook World sometime in the future. I have A LOT of family on Facebook, and at the moment, they are using Facebook to have drama, and I certainly don't miss or need drama. Had enough of it just raisin' my own 5 kids.

One of my daughters (who also tanked her Facebook page last year) said: "Facebook reminds me of a huge social event where everyone has stayed too long and drank too much alcohol."

Kind of humorous, but kinda true. :pout:

lelvsdgs
08-17-2010, 10:23 PM
I think it's a derivative of "android" :)
Totally off topic but I just spent a few minutes trying to get the little "bug" off my screen! Awesome!!!:oops:

Michaele
08-19-2010, 03:57 PM
I think the iPhone is better than the Droid.

Hahaha, just kidding. Both phones are pretty cool.

OffJumpsJack
08-19-2010, 10:46 PM
I'll be upgrading to the DROID X (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5369) soon! (but what an awful name, :ick: blech! too close to the word 'roids'! what genius came up with the name "droid"?)

as in Industrial Light and Magic the special effects company created by George Lucas and based at Skywalker Ranch. He made Luke Skywalker a space hero and most of us know his two 'droid' companions C-3PO and R2-D2. ;)

Feel the power of the force.

Come to the dark side, we have cookies.

ArtLady1981
08-23-2010, 01:41 PM
as in Industrial Light and Magic the special effects company created by George Lucas and based at Skywalker Ranch. He made Luke Skywalker a space hero and most of us know his two 'droid' companions C-3PO and R2-D2. ;)

Feel the power of the force.

Come to the dark side, we have cookies.

Oh that's a great refresher! Who could forget C-3PO and R2-D2!?

I feel better about saying "I have a :pout: Droid"!

And at least it's not just "Droid"...it's "Droid X"!

I'll have a cookie now! Where are they? :happydance:

dreamsherl
08-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Hi Artlady,

I have a DROID and I haven't had any problems with it. I only have to charge it overnight. I hope that you will enjoy your new phone.

ArtLady1981
08-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Oh thanks Dreamsherl! My phone isn't due to be shipped until Aug 31! I can hardly wait. I'm so tired of my current smartphone, the Samsung Saga. It has served the purpose, but I need to move on!

I ordered an extra battery, because I end up in the mountains where electric outlets are not always available to me...just when my husband has the big generator running to charge the marine batteries on the trailer. He hates to run the generator unless absolutely necessary. It disturbs 'the peace' up there! So I always quickly get plugged in when the generator is up and runnin'!

I can plug into his truck's cigarette lighter thing, but sometimes he takes his truck over to the other side of the mountain, to work on his log house. He uses the truck with triple pulleys and such, to haul his trees and logs around. Etc.

So, there I am, back at base camp, with 4 dogs, and a dead phone. Not a pretty picture.
I hate being phoneless, besides the fact that it's dangerous in cougar/bear country.
I absolutely need to be able to contact John, so I can't drain my battery for 'fun stuff', such as KH and Ravelry!

The extra 'extended' battery should serve me well for 'off the grid' trips to the high mountains!

I almost bought 2 extras! :teehee: I still might!

Jan in CA
08-26-2010, 09:43 PM
I'll probably end up with an iPhone eventually since I'm used to the iTouch. I can see where an extra battery would be very handy in some situations. :thumbsup:

OffJumpsJack
08-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Oh that's a great refresher! Who could forget C-3PO and R2-D2!?

I feel better about saying "I have a :pout: Droid"!

And at least it's not just "Droid"...it's "Droid X"!

I'll have a cookie now! Where are they? :happydance:

I have discovered a never ending supply of cookies. I have a special device that collects them for me...

It is called a browser and the are received from most Internet servers. ;)

But I think there are virtual cookies in the lounge. Well there should be some there. :)

About the extra phone battery: If your John is handy with wire and solder and electronic components I could show him plans to make a small, portable solar panel from "seconds" found on the Net. Well if I could find the site again. (wanders off searching and mumbling to self). :think: :??

SheWolfDanielle
08-28-2010, 06:37 PM
I have a BlackBerry Storm. I know it works fine on knittinghelp, but I don't think I've ever tested it on Ravelry.

It's pretty good about its battery, too. If I'm not using it a ton it'll actually last a couple days without charging. Mind you, I'm VERY careful to shut down any programs I'm not currently using.

I have Skype on it, and that's almost always on. I find that the three things that REALLY kill the battery (which I use) are the camera, msn messenger, and actually being ON the phone for much more than a few minutes. Of course, I rarely talk on the phone, but when I do I'll be on for an hour or more with the person.

So yeah, I've been pretty happy with it. From what I hear, though, you shouldn't get a blackberry with the little ball-mouse thing. The ball tends to get junk under it and just generally screws up easily.

sheldon
08-31-2010, 09:14 AM
I'll probably end up with an iPhone eventually since I'm used to the iTouch. I can see where an extra battery would be very handy in some situations. :thumbsup:

The iPhone doesn't have swappable batteries. ;( But fortunately its battery life is pretty decent. I can go a few days without charging under normal use.

Jan in CA
08-31-2010, 11:13 AM
The iPhone doesn't have swappable batteries. ;( But fortunately its battery life is pretty decent. I can go a few days without charging under normal use.

I meant that for Dollyce, but I'd never thought about the fact that I can't change batteries in my iPod or the iPhone. I think if I were in Dollyce's situation with an iPod or iPhone I'd get a battery jacket. Something like this -
http://www.mophie.com/product-p/1110_jpa-t2-gry.htm

OffJumpsJack
08-31-2010, 12:45 PM

I meant that for Dollyce, but I'd never thought about the fact that I can't change batteries in my iPod or the iPhone. I think if I were in Dollyce's situation with an iPod or iPhone I'd get a battery jacket. Something like this -
http://www.mophie.com/product-p/1110_jpa-t2-gry.htm

Well, there goes my idea of simply getting a deep-cycle marine battery and soldering up a control circuit for a plug-in DC adapter to recharge a phone and an AC adapter for recharging a laptop. :sad:

Jan in CA
08-31-2010, 01:05 PM
Well, there goes my idea of simply getting a deep-cycle marine battery and soldering up a control circuit for a plug-in DC adapter to recharge a phone and an AC adapter for recharging a laptop. :sad:

I think maybe the marine battery might be a little heavy to carry around in my purse. I think maybe the battery jacket might be easier. :roflhard:

OffJumpsJack
08-31-2010, 05:12 PM
I think maybe the marine battery might be a little heavy to carry around in my purse. I think maybe the battery jacket might be easier. :roflhard:

Blonde much? :doh:

Probably forgot what I said about a portable solar panel (http://www.mdpub.com/SolarPanel/index.html) (15 watts) that I mentioned to Dollyce. I found the link and the marine battery was for off-grid power storage and recharge for phone and laptop.

Come to think of it, Dollyce, if you are handy with electronic components and solder you could build your own solar panel for your laptop and phone power need when you go off grid.

On the same site are plans for a larger 60 watt solar panel and also for a wind turbine.

I was just doing more research and it looks like the charge controller design is flawed and could let a wind turbine over-spin and melt down the motor windings. Well, it isn't knitting so might as well just stop talking about it. :shrug:

Solar panels could be useful when off grid. They are very quite.

ArtLady1981
09-01-2010, 10:27 AM
I am typing this on my new Droid X! Wow! I cannot tell.you how much FASTER the web pages load up! It's like when we graduated from dial-up to high-speed internet! Well I guess that's what my SAGA (Samsung) was: dial-up, but I was grateful to have internet access OF ANY KIND these past two years when we were off-the-grid at 4300 elev on Nighthawk Summit!

ArtLady1981
09-03-2010, 03:29 AM
Having a blast with my new DROID X. It's certainly user-friendly. I "paired" my Jawbone earbud with the DROID without looking in the manual! Yay!

The battery life sucks, but I have lots of wall plugs for it, 3 in fact. I plug it in every time it hits 40-50%. It juices right back up in no time. One nice feature, you can open a page that tells you ALL the features that are sucking up your juice, and gives the percentages.

I am STUNNED how fast internet pages load up! Did I say that already? It's makes forum participation so much quicker!

Wanna know what my biggest HURDLE was, and forced me to dial 611 for Verizon HELP!?

I couldn't figure out how to answer the phone!

Here's why: After a minute, the screen goes dark (battery saver) and it 'locks' itself. Easy to unlock on normal circumstances.

But when a call comes in, the screen lights up, and there is a green phone (handset symbol) on the left, and a red phone handset on the right. I poke the green phone handset, but nothin' happens. I'm scrambling around, trying to figure out how to unlock the d&@#! phone...too late...the call is gone.

Here's how to answer the phone: press your finger on the green phone, and swipe it to the right. Doh. It unlocks the phone and answers it all at the same darn time. :doh:

If you swipe the red phone to the left, it mutes the call. Sigh.

One thing I am LOVING: Verizon technicians know their stuff, backwards and forwards. I had a few intricate questions, and they knew the answers right away! Yay for that! The Verizon technicians aren't dummies.

sgtpam
09-05-2010, 10:37 AM
I've been hoping for an update from you...I've had my verizon USB modem for my laptop for over 2 years and it's ready for the 2-year upgrade, so is my phone. I was hoping to get rid of the USB modem and just have my cell phone with internet that would also let my laptop connect. Trying to save the $$ and upgrade at the same time;)

Have you used it to connect your laptop yet...or just used the internet on the phone?

And do you really need the extra battery? I was reading that you can use it at the same time it's plugged in and charging.:??

ArtLady1981
09-05-2010, 12:05 PM
I've tethered it to my laptop to transfer photos! Real nifty. Don't have to take a lot of great photos all over again! But I haven't used it to grab an internet signal in order to use my laptop itself. There's no need to. I have an unlimited data package for my DroidX, so it is my high-speed internet! I must tell you, it is so easy to type on the virtual keyboard. When you turn it sideways the keyboard is wider and I'm less likely to hit the wrong key! Besides that, it corrects a lot of spelling boo-boos automatically, and you're prolly aware that these keyboards give options to finish a word!

Anyway, you could totally convert to the DroidX for phone, email, and internet. I dunno about the security of online bill-paying, banking and shopping. I personally would never conduct any of those 3 tasks using a cell phone, nor my laptop at a remote location. I don't know all there is to know about free WiFi at remote locations, nor the use of an internet 'key' that plugs in to your laptop USB port for internet access. I know that (2 years ago) when I was weighing my options, Verizon offered 'the let's (forget what it's called) for$ 59 per month. Ouch. So I just went with the unlimited data package and called it good enough! And it's served my needs well. BUT NOW, with the DroidX hi-speed internet and full functionality (to my needs)....WOW! It's great!

I've called Verizon twice for help, and like I said, the techs aren't dummies. YAY! I have a good PDF manual on my laptop, it is also in my phone, and if you GOOGLE the word DROID X you find lots of info, too.

YES, I plug in my phone and use it at the same time. No problem. If I really wanted to fully charge it from, let's say, 30%, I would leave it be.

I'm using it now! It was faster to check email than firing up the laptop!

Happy to share any further info!

sgtpam
09-05-2010, 06:05 PM
They say you can tether it to your laptop to use the internet on your laptop; if so, I thought I could get rid of the internet card (verizon) that I've got now.

I think the think I'm stuck on is that I really like a bigger screen, so, I don't know if I can give up my laptop (with internet access). I was hoping to be able to tether (I'd forgotten the word) the DroidX to my laptop when I was home. I never use any "hotspot" or wi-fi out in public either, though I'm sure I'll use the internet on the Droid if/when I get it.

What I'm not understanding is, if I tether to my laptop, is that the same as using the phone to pay bills/do banking? :??

ArtLady1981
09-05-2010, 08:38 PM
VERIZON will be able to answer security questions for you. They know their stuff. As I tried to think about it logically, the only conclusion I could come up with is: tethering you DROID to your laptop converts your laptop to "the viewing screen" for the DROID, seeing how it is the DROID that's pulling in the internet signal. If a cell phone is insecure for banking, shopping...then it wouldn't miraculously transform to "secure" with a laptop as the viewing screen. I might be ALL WRONG in my thinking.

When we're in our home, utilizing the wireless router within our home...remember, it is LOCKED and FIREWALLED against intruders & hackers. But I don't think our DROID is able to become LOCKED& FIREWALLED, is it?

It's a very interesting subject. We should try to find out. I would like to know for sure. I saw Verizon's TV ads that showed people, out and about, sitting on a park bench, with their DROID & their laptop working together...I think 'tethered'. So the DROID is pulling the signal, the laptop is the visual tool.

Let me know what you find out, and I'll try to get thru to them, too. I sat 'on hold' so long last night I gave up and hung up!

Jan in CA
09-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Check this out, Dollyce!
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1299495#post1299495

OffJumpsJack
09-07-2010, 12:48 PM
VERIZON will be able to answer security questions for you. They know their stuff. As I tried to think about it logically, the only conclusion I could come up with is: tethering you DROID to your laptop converts your laptop to "the viewing screen" for the DROID, seeing how it is the DROID that's pulling in the internet signal. If a cell phone is insecure for banking, shopping...then it wouldn't miraculously transform to "secure" with a laptop as the viewing screen. I might be ALL WRONG in my thinking.

Actually that is just the opposite of what happens. Teathering simply makes the droid-x a high-speed, dial-up modem for your laptop. Viewing on any smart phone requires apps instead of the browser to let you see the "world wide web" sites that use http and www in the link. The web use HTML and other protocols to provide text, formatting, links, color, and in-line images to give a fuller multi-media interface via a browser. The phone uses a different app and web coding, both are not as mature nor as secured as the browsers available on laptops. Firewall software and intruder detection software already exist on the laptop from large and well know brands like McAfee, Norton, and others. Smart phones have not yet needed these apps, but security experts fear they are needed. Provided you have internet security software already on your laptop you are good to go with your on-line commerce.

Data rates will be different as the full HTML web is transmitted to your laptop instead of any short-cut savings the droid apps provided. That subject is addressed by Jan in CA in her other thread she linked.

ArtLady1981
09-07-2010, 11:45 PM
Thanks for taking time to input! :thumbsup:

sgtpam
09-08-2010, 07:38 PM
I've been checking the last few weeks and finally went in Monday to look at the DroidX. I got a salesman who made sense and was able to answer all of my questions (which were more intelligent than they would have been without some of the input here:hug: ). Then, he showed me the newest addition. It doesn't come out until tomorrw, but he was given one in advance of its release date to test/play with. It comes out tomorrow and he's going to try to hold one for me. Don't be too jealous.:mrgreen: ..it's called the "Fascinate".......I know you hated the name "Droid"....:roflhard:

The other thing he told me was that the data package on the phone is completely independent of what you use when you tether it to your laptop. I don't have unlimited on it...but I rarely use get too close to my limit. Basically, that means that I'll be paying about $10.00 a month less and getting the same access I have now when I use my laptop at home...plus the unlimited access on the phone itself .:happydance:

AND...I don't have to wait the 2 weeks to get it (the X is still on backorder).......:cheering:

ArtLady1981
09-14-2010, 05:31 PM
I had to wait for about 2-3 weeks, too. My DROID X came in the Aug 31 batch! Received it within a week of that date!

I am more in love with my DROID X than ever! I must say, for a very complex phone...it is the easiest 'to learn'! A lot of it is intuitive. My Samsung Saga smartphone was much harder to get around in. And ever so slow on the internet, and only partly functional.

sgtpam
09-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Well...I sent my phone to Verizon school and it came back a lot Smarter!:roflhard: I'm still getting to know it...but, I do LOVE IT!

I dropped my internet card & got unlimited web on the phone & 2gig laptop access when I tether it:happydance:

Now we'll see how I do...this is my first post with itCrossed Fingers

linknit41
09-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Is it just me, or shouldn't this be in The Lounge? linknit41