PDA

View Full Version : Needles for Knitting Afghans

itscherij
10-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Do you generally need to use a circular needle to knit afghans? And if not, whats the general size needles used? I ask because I really want to do some afghans, but its impossible where I live to buy needles. I have literally one set, and I think I may be the only person in the country that knits.

suzeeq
10-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Yes a circ is much easier to handle and I don't think they make straight needles long enough for all the stitches you need. Plus the weight of that long a needle (should you find one) and that many sts is really tiring to hold up. A circular about 32-36" long will hold about 60-70" worth of sts.

Shandeh
10-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Your other option would be to knit the afghan in strips or squares. Then, you would seam them together when all the sections are complete. You could use any kind of knitting needle to do that.

joulesb
10-12-2010, 02:44 AM
if yu wanted long needles how about the interchanglable circulars. the cables usually come in different lengths and i know tht the knitpro ones can be connected to make even longer cables.

cindycactus
10-12-2010, 09:11 AM
I noticed you are in Costa Rica. Would it be possible to order the circular needles from Knit Picks or on some other online store? Knit Picks are great. Don't know for sure if they mail out of country though.

N0obKnitter
10-13-2010, 02:28 PM
I noticed you are in Costa Rica. Would it be possible to order the circular needles from Knit Picks or on some other online store? Knit Picks are great. Don't know for sure if they mail out of country though.

I checked KP...they don't ship outside US/Canada. Bummer. Can the OP acquire Addiclicks online and have them sent to Costa Rica? I do know that Addiclicks are ferociously expensive...

ArtLady1981
10-13-2010, 07:21 PM
I use circular needles, too. Besides being able to load hundreds of stitches on the needle cable, the weight of the work rests in your lap. Not on a stationary straight needle.

itscherij
10-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Yep, the problem is trying to buy anything knitting related here. The yarn is crap, and so far Ive been able to find only one, count m one, set of needles. Crochet needles are all small, only for doilies and such. Need to do some exploring to see if I can buy what I need in San Jose.

N0obKnitter
10-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Yep, the problem is trying to buy anything knitting related here. The yarn is crap, and so far Ive been able to find only one, count m one, set of needles. Crochet needles are all small, only for doilies and such. Need to do some exploring to see if I can buy what I need in San Jose.

That has to suck :( hope you have luck in San Jose (the one in the USA?) finding what you need.