PDA

View Full Version : Translation from French in English.

kateml
11-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Please could someone help me to translate these two patterns in English?

1. 1 m. envers sur l'envers du travail, en enroulant le fil 3x autour de l'aig. droite [= 2 jetes]

2. glisser 3 m. sur 1 aig. auxiliaire derriere le travail, en laissant tomber les jetes pour allonger les m., tric. 6 m. endroit, puis les m. de l'aig. auxiliaire a l'endroit

Thank you.
Kate

pull
11-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Update: From the knitting dico I see that "m. envers" is a purl stitch. "m. endroit" is a knit stitch.

Jeté = yarn over

I don't know how to knit -- I just watched the beginning videos. I don't know how to read an American English pattern, much less a French one. Nevertheless, here's my attempt:

1. 1 m. envers sur l'envers du travail, en enroulant le fil 3x autour de l'aig. droite [= 2 jetes]

1. [A measurement? 1 stitch??] the wrong side on the wrong side of the work [project] while winding the yarn around the right needle 3x. [= 2 wraps/twists ???, the literal meaning is "throws"]

2. glisser 3 m. sur 1 aig. auxiliaire derriere le travail, en laissant tomber les jetes pour allonger les m., tric. 6 m. endroit, puis les m. de l'aig. auxiliaire a l'endroit

2. Slide [3 stitches???] on a [secondary/extra/additional???] needle while allowing the [the wrapped yarn?? [ to lengthen/stretch out] the [stitches??] on the knit [knitted side]; knit six stitches?? on the front/right side, then ___ the stitches on the secondary needle on the right side/front side.

I just found a link to this French Knitting dictionary. Maybe you'll be able to fill in the blanks. Bon courage!

http://chezplum.com/french-knitting-dictionnary/

OffJumpsJack
11-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Perhaps this will help?

www.passion-crochet.com/lexique.html

blueygh2
11-14-2010, 11:48 AM

1. purl 1 on WS of work, yarn overing 3 times ( 2 yarn overs)
(honestly, this is what it says, but it doesn't make much sense to me)

2. slip 3 stitches on cable needle, keep it behind the work, let the yarn overs fall to lengthen the stitches, knit 6, then purl the stitches from the cable needle

JudyD
11-14-2010, 04:51 PM

1. purl 1 on WS of work, yarn overing 3 times ( 2 yarn overs)
(honestly, this is what it says, but it doesn't make much sense to me)

2. slip 3 stitches on cable needle, keep it behind the work, let the yarn overs fall to lengthen the stitches, knit 6, then purl the stitches from the cable needle
Part of answer #2 is incorrect. It's okay up to knit 6. The next 3 stitches on the cable needle are not purled, they are knit. "Puis les mailles de l'aiguille auxiliare a l'endroit" is translated as "in addition/also the stitches on the cable needle" or "followed by the stitches on the cable needle", implying the stitches are to be knit as were the preceding 6 stitches.

Judy...with the very French last name! :)

blueygh2
11-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Oh right, I was in a state of advanced inebriatedness, when I translated, and I always confuse those french knitting terms. I prefer "purl and knit" :D

kateml
11-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Thank you very much to all of you for helping to translate the pattern description. I did not try it yet, but I will make another post once I try it and it will actually work. Judy I agree with you that they "yarn overing" doesn't make sense, but sometimes things start to make sense once I try. So, everybody thank you very very much again and once the sweater is ready, I will post a picture of it.
If you need to translate something from German or Slovak please let me know, I would be happy to return the favor.