PDA

View Full Version : Decoding pattern

jaharris
11-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Hello! I am making a hat and have a few questions about the pattern. Here's the text:
Pattern
Cap
Cast on 34[38] sts.
Row 1: k.
Row 2: p.
Continue working as established until
piece measures 8 inches (20cm) [9 inches
(23cm)].
Next row [WS]: p 17[19], either use
three needle bind off or graft the 2 sides
together.

My first question, what does [ws] mean?
second, it says pearl 19, then bind off, so does that mean pearl 19 stitches then start the bind off?

Thanks for your help!

suzeeq
11-17-2010, 07:39 PM
WS means wrong side, the side that faces in or toward the body when you wear an item. In this stitch pattern - knit a row and purl a row, which is stockinette, the knits are the RS (right side) and the purls are the WS. Yes, you purl 19 sts then bind off the rest, but you do this as a 3 needle bind off, not a regular one. There's a video for that on the Cast Off page.

hyperactive
11-18-2010, 12:01 PM
What it wants you to do for the bind off is really neat:

you have 38 stitches on your needle. Now you purl 19 of them - that is exactly to the middle.
Now you bind that off by using either 3-needle BO or grafting.

That will join the sides and there will be a closure of some kind. Like folding a piece of paper in half and using tape across the sides that fall together from the fold to the open edge.

I assume you then seam from there to the open edge and that is your hat? A flat tube that fits onto your head? You are using some relatively thick yarn, aren't you? With 38 stitches for a hat?

jaharris3
11-20-2010, 04:56 PM
I don't think i cast on enough stitches nor is my yarn thick enough. this is my first time making something other than a pot holder. Do you think the stitches will be too far spaced apart if the yarn is too thin?

jaharris3
11-20-2010, 04:58 PM
well for the 3 needle bind off, it shows using two pieces of work on, i guess, two different pairs of needles. So my next question is, would i pearl 19 stitches on each piece and then 3 neele bind the two together?

suzeeq
11-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Purl across half the sts then 'fold' up the work so the needles are side by side with tips pointing the same way.

jaharris3
11-20-2010, 10:06 PM
ahhhh that makes so much sense!!!! now i guess i'll have two...since i already started haha!

suzeeq
11-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Glad you could figure out my post with the typo; fixed now...