PDA

View Full Version : Could my Pattern be wrong???

pbt1294
11-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Hi all, I just bought a book called Bright and
cheery Knit Dishcloths to make Christmas presents. I also purchased it because I wanted to learn to knit with different colors. I have gotten very good at just using one color.

Here is my problem. I have followed the instructions 3 different times and it never looks like the picture. Also, as you are knitting along and you switch the color to add a stripe it says to purl three rows and then start knitting with the original color A again. But,.... how can you do that? I mean every time I'm on the opposite end! I can't just pick up color A and start knitting again. Is this a mistake???

Here is what it says to do:

With A cast on 40 sts.
With A, knit 4 rows.
With B, purl 3 rows,
With A, knit 4 rows.

Is there something wrong with this pattern, or is it just me????

Also, the pattern in the picture looks like it is all in Garter Stitch, yet the pattern says to purl. That can't be right....right???

Does this book just have a huge misprint? How can I find out???

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kyle

Pastor's wife and homeschooling mom of 6 :)

pbt1294
11-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Just wanted to reply so that I can check to see if this will come to my email.

Thanks,
Kyle

suzeeq
11-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Purling all sts on several rows results in garter stitch, the same as knitting all sts on the rows. The back of a knit is a purl and vice versa, so it doesn't really matter how you get the garter stitch. Row 4 is knit on the WS so when you purl the next row, you're going to get 2 purl rows which can look like garter. Purling row 7 is on the RS so when you knit R 8, it'lll look like 2 purl rows on the RS. Or maybe that will be the WS and what looks like 2 knit rows will be the RS, or it's really sort of reversible. Just follow the pattern and see how it looks after 3" or so.

pbt1294
11-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Purling all sts on several rows results in garter stitch, the same as knitting all sts on the rows. The back of a knit is a purl and vice versa, so it doesn't really matter how you get the garter stitch. Row 4 is knit on the WS so when you purl the next row, you're going to get 2 purl rows which can look like garter. Purling row 7 is on the RS so when you knit R 8, it'lll look like 2 purl rows on the RS. Or maybe that will be the WS and what looks like 2 knit rows will be the RS, or it's really sort of reversible. Just follow the pattern and see how it looks after 3" or so.

Yeah, your right. What I end up with when I do it the way the pattern says is a row that looks like stockinette stitch before the 2 rows of color B purl. It just doesn't look like the picture. The picture looks completely garter with no "stripe" of stockinette. Does that make any since??? It is hard to explain with out the pic.

There is still also the problem about picking up the color A and knitting again, because after I purl 3 rows I'm all the way at the opposite end of the needle where the Color A is. I can't pick it up. I would have to switch needles.

UUUGGGHH!:?? :(

I'm sure I'm just missing something.

suzeeq
11-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Welllll, if you post a link to the picture and a picture of what you have, we might be able to see what you're seeing....

pbt1294
11-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Welllll, if you post a link to the picture and a picture of what you have, we might be able to see what you're seeing....

The picture is in a book, so I guess I'll have to scan it and all that jazz. I may do that after Thanksgiving, but we are getting ready to pack up and leave now. My MIL doesn't even have an internet connection :(

Anyway, I was wondering........ I always use the long tail cast on (which I learned on here) because it is just easy. I know that it creates one knit row. I didn't consider that when I was starting the project. I wonder if that could put my first purled (B) row on the side it is NOT supposed to be on????

Oh, and I REALLY appreciate the help. I know I'm being confusing.

Blessings,
Kyle

suzeeq
11-24-2010, 10:13 AM
There could be a picture of it online. What's the book and the name of the pattern?

No the LT cast on does not count as the first row. Just cast on and follow the pattern as written, doing whatever it says for the first row.

pbt1294
11-24-2010, 11:37 AM
There could be a picture of it online. What's the book and the name of the pattern?

No the LT cast on does not count as the first row. Just cast on and follow the pattern as written, doing whatever it says for the first row.

The Book is called: Bright and Cheery Knit Dishclothes

it is by Susan Robicheau

American School of Needlework

DRGnetwork.com

It is the Key Lime Pie pattern on page 7 of the book.

Blessings,
Kyle

suzeeq
11-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Is it this one (http://www.e-patternscentral.com/image.html?mode=&prod_id=3673&slide_id=0)?

It may be that you got off on the wrong row if you counted the cast on as the first row and only knit 3 rows to begin instead of 4. Or maybe you lost count of the rows somewhere and knit or purled one more or one less. Or you may be looking at the WS instead of the RS, or the picture shows the other side.

pbt1294
11-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Is it this one (http://www.e-patternscentral.com/image.html?mode=&prod_id=3673&slide_id=0)?

It may be that you got off on the wrong row if you counted the cast on as the first row and only knit 3 rows to begin instead of 4. Or maybe you lost count of the rows somewhere and knit or purled one more or one less. Or you may be looking at the WS instead of the RS, or the picture shows the other side.

YUP that it!!! Isn't it cute!!! Maybe that is what I did. Everytime I kept ending up on the wrong end when I was supposed to start knitting with the green color again in the beginning. Maybe I counted that "first" cast on row as a row and that threw me off or something.

hyperactive
11-24-2010, 02:49 PM
I have a suspicion about the 3 row thing:

does your pattern say to work on circular needles or double pointed needles and you do work on straight regular needles? Usually that is fine.

I have done some stuff where I work only one row - or 3 rows for that matter - in one color. Then you just go back to the beginning of that row (on a circ or dpn: push your knitting to the other side of the needle) and start working again from the side you started your last row from.

And: if you work the way you say then you get 2 rows of right side stochinette stitch and then 2 rows of wrong side stochinette stitch.
You creat ribs that run across. The whole thing buckles up and down.

That can look like garter stitch. But it is not. Now you can not pull the photo appart, but look at the pic closely (the one, suzeeq linked): there are gaps between the ribs.
Maybe your yarn and needles make it a bit more lose and therefore it falls open a bit more? Also: the sample has the border done already and that may pull it together a bit more, as well. Mainly that is the "elastic" of the pattern, though.

pbt1294
11-24-2010, 03:00 PM
I have a suspicion about the 3 row thing:

does your pattern say to work on circular needles or double pointed needles and you do work on straight regular needles? Usually that is fine.

I have done some stuff where I work only one row - or 3 rows for that matter - in one color. Then you just go back to the beginning of that row (on a circ or dpn: push your knitting to the other side of the needle) and start working again from the side you started your last row from.

And: if you work the way you say then you get 2 rows of right side stochinette stitch and then 2 rows of wrong side stochinette stitch.
You creat ribs that run across. The whole thing buckles up and down.

That can look like garter stitch. But it is not. Now you can not pull the photo appart, but look at the pic closely (the one, suzeeq linked): there are gaps between the ribs.
Maybe your yarn and needles make it a bit more lose and therefore it falls open a bit more? Also: the sample has the border done already and that may pull it together a bit more, as well. Mainly that is the "elastic" of the pattern, though.

I see what you are talking about as far the squeezing or buckling of the pattern looking like garter stitch.

As far as the circular needles. I do a lot of knitting with circular needles, but this pattern calls for straight needles, so I'm still confused as far as the whole picking up color A after purling 3 rows of B.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through the pattern right now and it "looks" right although I only purled two rows of white instead of the 3 that it calls for. I think when I get to the other end I will follow the pattern exactly and see how it turns out. Altough I still don't know how it is possible to purl the three rows without sliding the work on circular needles.

Blessings,
Kyle

suzeeq
11-24-2010, 03:30 PM
You may have to cut your yarn after 3 rows and rejoin it at the other side when you use that color again.

pbt1294
11-24-2010, 04:03 PM
You may have to cut your yarn after 3 rows and rejoin it at the other side when you use that color again.

Doesn't it seem like it would say something like that? It says in the instructions to carry thread not in use loosely up, but nothing about having to clip and rejoin.

Does the pic look like there are three purled rows of white?

I have only been knitting for about 3 years so I'm definetly no expert. LOL!!! I have done some pretty "experienced type" stuff, just no colors. :aww:

Thanks,
Kyle

suzeeq
11-24-2010, 05:53 PM
It could well be a typo and you should purl 4 rows since the others are. I couldn't see the sts well enough to see if there are 3 p rows and it depends on which 'side' the picture shows. Try it with 4 purl rows and see if that looks better.