PDA

View Full Version : what is a good yarn that will last

caroljmartinez
11-24-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm new to knitting, so i need some help with knowing a good quality yarn, don't want spend all that time knitting then having it stretch out or pill. I want to make a Shaw that's soft and use a #19 needle, any suggestions. thanks sooo much

suzeeq
11-24-2010, 05:59 PM
To use that size needle you need at least a worsted weight yarn or a bulky, or use 2 strands of thinner yarn. Any yarn that's soft may have a tendency to pill. Alpaca, bamboo and silk by themselves tend to stretch, when blended they're not as bad. It helps if you have a pattern in mind - triangle, rectangle or semicircular - and what size.

Sapphire
11-25-2010, 01:43 AM
I recently made a nice long shawl/afghan type of knitted piece out of
Estelle Woolly Bully. It's a bulky yarn that comes in many color combinations. It was very easy to knit- was basically the same row repeated again and again. It also has a fringe. It's more of an around the house comfy shawl rather than a going out type of shawl. I knitted it on U.S. 19 needles. I can send you a link to the pattern if you like. It's a pricey yarn, but I like the way the shawl turned out. This type of yarn makes great outerwear, too (like hats and scarves).

knitcindy
11-25-2010, 08:45 AM
I'd like to see that shawl pattern too!!! Can you post it here, so we all can see it???

Thanks,
knitcindy

suzeeq
11-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Yes, please post a link here for others to see who may be interested in the pattern.

Sapphire
11-25-2010, 02:30 PM
I've found the link to the shawl pattern. Here it is:

http://www.estelledesigns.ca/PDFs/WBAfghan.pdf

Let me know if this link does not work (typing in the url will likely work if the link doesn't). It only lists an afghan pattern, but from my experience knitting it, its like a very short afghan/shawl combo- like an over-sized shawl for around the house. Any super bulky yarn should work if this one is not available in your local yarn store.

It's super-easy to make. Hope you like it. :)

Sapphire

suzeeq
11-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the link. There's actually several other nice patterns there if you go from the home page of the site.

Sapphire
11-26-2010, 01:47 PM
There are many nice patterns on the Estelle site, for sure. Many of them are too difficult for me to attempt, yet. But I do have plans to try one of the sweaters made from their Cloud Cotton yarn once I'm more advanced (that's another great Estelle yarn- can you tell I love their yarns?).:wink:

Carol, I hope the shawl goes well. Have you checked Ravelry out? They're a crochet and knit community. They have lots of free patterns you can check out. Signing up is quicker than it used to be- I managed to sign up the same day.