PDA

View Full Version : Teach yourself to Knit/ Eva Rosen

egl
12-02-2010, 07:06 AM
my sister gave me the knitting book "Teach yourself to Knit by Eva Rosen. And I have learned from it, but the winter hat pattern is not right... I did as instructed, the cast on stitch amount was 40 stitches, this was a pattern for an adult hat, 40 stitches didnt fit on my head. I just modified it and did 90 stitches, so why would she put it as casting on 40 stitches for an adult hat??

leeniex
12-02-2010, 09:18 AM
What size yarn was specified? That doesn't sound right at all. Could be an error in the pattern, wouldn't be the first time I found one in a book.

knitcindy
12-02-2010, 09:19 AM
I have this book and I re-read through that pattern. According to the Gauge written, 40 stitches would equal 20 inches around. Seems like enough stitches to me.

Did you use 2 strands of yarn together?? And size 17 needles?? I think that might have been part of the difficulty.

HTH, knitcindy

suzeeq
12-02-2010, 10:38 AM
40 stitches would be the right number for a really thick yarn or 2 strands of yarn together, and large needles. For a medium weight yarn and needles, the 90 sts is about average.

egl
12-04-2010, 08:29 AM
worsted weight 2 oz for the main color, and 1 1/2 oz for the others,
you cast on 40 stitches and it says do stockinette stitch (but the picture shows ribbing) for 8 rows main color then 4 rows color A 6 rows color B then back to 4 rows color A, and do the color stripe sequence three times, ( i calculated you end up with 66 rows) but when I did it it was too small,
I just noticed the instructions call for you to use two strands of yarn each color, Would that make a differnce?
My main question is 40 cast on stitches with no increases is way too small for an adult head???

suzeeq
12-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Yes, 2 strands of worsted weight yarn will equal a heavy bulky weight That's what will allow 40 sts to be large enough because that should end up as 2 sts per inch or so. Make sure you're using the right needle size too.

egl
12-05-2010, 08:16 AM
Yes, 2 strands of worsted weight yarn will equal a heavy bulky weight That's what will allow 40 sts to be large enough because that should end up as 2 sts per inch or so. Make sure you're using the right needle size too.

ok i will try that, after posting that, I rered that too about having to use two strands, and felt like a food not having read that before...( duh) thanks,

P.S. THIS SITE IS AWSOME

egl
12-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Ok, so I did the gauge swatch, and I cant understand hot to read the gauge device. Obviously withing the 2inch/ 2 inch ruler part on the purl side?

suzeeq
12-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Forget the gauge thingy and just use a regular ruler. Count how many sts in 4".

egl
12-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Forget the gauge thingy and just use a regular ruler. Count how many sts in 4".

on the purl side right??

suzeeq
12-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Technically you should count them on the knit side, the sts look like Vs. But you can do the purl side.

egl
12-05-2010, 12:38 PM
on the purl side right??

ok well that didnt work either and when I did the pattern for a bit, I binded off my stitches to see if the circumfrence would go around my head and it doesnt, 40 stitches is way to small

suzeeq
12-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Figure out how much too small, then add that many sts. You may need only 4 more or 8 or even 16.

knitcindy
12-05-2010, 10:06 PM
The pattern says to use size 17 needles. Is that the size you're using???

knitcindy

egl
12-06-2010, 07:02 AM
The pattern says to use size 17 needles. Is that the size you're using???

knitcindy

No actualy it was 13 then come to find out those were the ones for the scarf. Im such a knitters dolt somtimes...
But I had already started doing the hat a different way and think this is going to work..I am using #9 needles and casted on 90 stitches, and the circumfrence works, Im just trying to figure out the depth of the hat. Im not doing the color pattern just in Blue and so far Im just about the total for the pattern and it still seems to shallow ..Ill just keep going, and checking Thanks guys

suzeeq
12-06-2010, 11:14 AM
A hat for an adult is usually knit about 7" before you begin the decreases, a little more if you want the cuff to turn up.