PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Going COLD SHEEP (No Yarn Buying) in 2011?

Arielluria
01-08-2011, 05:43 PM
I've made up my mind not to buy ANY yarn in 2011. The absolute ONLY reason would be to finish a project which I already have going, but that's IT! Not even the often used excuse for gift knitting.....gotta buy the perfect yarn for that gift will do.

So is anyone else serious about Cold Sheeping in 2011? Let's keep a thread going and see who keeps their resolution.

Only other yarn which will go into my stash is gift yarn, a girl can't help being gifted some yarn right?!?

Ingrid
01-08-2011, 06:31 PM
I have been super good for the past year with my yarn buying. And, somehow, I've managed to survive. :happydance:

I plan on keeping the trend going for 2011, except if I need to finish a started project. I have sooooo much yarn, that if I can't find a project to make with it, I'm being too particular.

Jan in CA
01-08-2011, 08:16 PM
:noway: I've been good with using my stash on a regular basis for charity projects so I'm okay with doing the occasional spending.

Daylilydayzed
01-09-2011, 02:33 PM
This coming Friday(the 14th) I have to order a size 6 16 inch needle to finish a bag for my daughter.She promised one of her co-workers I could knit a string bag small enough to be used a purse. The base is no problem using the needles I have now but I do not have a size 6 16 inch needle. My smallest circular needle is 24 inches, It's too large though, to knit the smaller number of stitches for the small bag , I ended up with a big hole between stitches when I tried it. I ripped it all out and will wait till I get the smaller needle before starting it.

offgridgirl
01-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Oh boy that's hard one to keep!! I gonna try....I got so much stash!! I am collecting patterns!!(fingers crossed)

vaknitter
01-09-2011, 10:54 PM
I resigned my full-time job to stay home with my son when he was born last June and yarn was definitely removed from the budget. If I've started a project and need yarn to finish it I've been trading with women in my knitting circle. The hardest time will be all the local fiber festivals come fall.

Debkcs
01-10-2011, 06:24 AM
Hey, I'll 'cold sheep' with you. Gave away a bunch of yarn to a ministry for abused women, and the rest is enough for the next three years.

Of course, I'm hoping that the major 'event' that you and I are waiting for will happen this year!

miccisue
01-10-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm in!!!! The only thing I could think I would even consider buying is a skein of wool to make a scarf or head cover for an "adopted" soldier. I have 1+ skeins, so I may just go for one or the other, especially since they've said they don't need helmet liners anymore.
Have 2 grand nieces and/or nephews due this year, but have some pink and blue stash yarn to use for them. All my other stash yarn would work perfectly for socks, sweaters, blankets....I don't need anymore yarn. Now if I could only get my husband to quit moving my needles from place to place.....

Arielluria
01-10-2011, 03:26 PM
I've done the same thing, gave away unneeded stash and needles to a ministry teaching knitting to abused women. Felt great, didn't it?!? ;)

SandyL
01-10-2011, 04:00 PM
I've done the same thing, gave away unneeded stash and needles to a ministry teaching knitting to abused women. Felt great, didn't it?!? ;)

That is a GREAT idea? Where would I find something like that in my area though? I guess I can check out the local women's shelter. If I know my luck, I will get stuck teaching it! LoL!

dawn1838
01-10-2011, 06:00 PM
This sounds like a good idea and everyone is very encouraging but I don't know if I could stick to it. I have lots and lots of yarn but when I want to start a new project I can't seem to find the right yarn. So out I go to buy more :(

Breezed
01-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Wow, I don't think I would be capable at this point. I'm still a newb so I don't have a HUGE stash anyway but I sure am racking the yarn up quickly. None so far in 2011 just because I want so many I can't decide which to buy! I definitely support you for doing this but ah, I shall not participate at this time.

Arielluria
01-11-2011, 01:35 PM
I found it listed in a local paper, and I had to drop it off at a local Community College. Not sure why, probably the office of the lady doing the teaching. You might also call some LYSs and find out if they know of any.

Jannette
01-14-2011, 08:28 PM
I've already blown it big time. I spent WAY too much on 5 skeins of beautiful, different, superwash.

Arielluria
01-15-2011, 03:58 PM
That's OK, just get back on the wagon ;)

Debkcs
01-16-2011, 08:02 AM
I was just reminded about Yarnia, close to me in Portland. And someone mentioned the fall fiber festivals. MMmmmmm, tempations abound :woohoo:

Mokumegane
01-16-2011, 08:57 AM
I was just reminded about Yarnia, close to me in Portland. And someone mentioned the fall fiber festivals. MMmmmmm, tempations abound :woohoo:

Wait- Portland, OR? I'll be going there this coming summer because my brother will be graduating Diesel tech school. Well, not exactly Portland, OR but close! Yeah, over in OR and WA, there's LOTS of yarn stores and even some are on farms with Alpaca and stuff!! I love those ones because they have roving from the animals, stuff for spinning, owner hand-spun and dyed yarns...

N0obKnitter
01-25-2011, 12:25 PM
I rarely buy yarn so no, no Cold Sheep for me! :woot: