PDA

View Full Version : Prayer shawl, or, I'm really confused

HSRCampbell
01-31-2011, 02:01 PM
I decided to make a prayer shawl for my church (they have a program for hospice patients in our nearby hospital). So this lady gives me 3 balls of Lion Homespun and tells me, cast on 63, knit every row for 6-8", then k3p3.

However, she just called and left me a message to knit every row for 6-8 ROWS (which made me put it down immediately until I understood) and then her instructions for k3p3 started sounding more like k3 rows then p3 rows. I'm really confused.

Now, to reiterated, it's free yarn, for a good cause, and boucle-y so the recipient isn't going to see or care what pattern I used. But I have no idea what happens if you do k3p3 in a 6+3 repeat, (certainly not a rib) and I have no idea why I would *ever* knit 3 rows then purl 3 rows. Can anyone with a bit more experience help me figure out what she meant? Was she just explaining too much?

MGM
01-31-2011, 02:30 PM
I think if you did either 6-8 inches or 6-8 rows of knit to begin with, it would serve the same purpose which would be to have a section of garter stitch at the beginning where the edges didn't curl. Just be sure to do the same number or size of garter stitch section at the other end so it is symmetrical.

As for the K3P3 for the rest of the shawl, I would guess she is suggesting to do this by rows (K 3 rows, P 3 rows), again so that the edges won't curl and also to give the shawl and rib sort of effect going the short way. It would still all be garter stitch, but it would alternate sides from front to back. Does this make sense?

This would also make it very elastic and, when not stretched out, would almost make it seem to be double thick. I made a cowl like that once and it was the coziest little thing to wear around my neck, or I could stretch it up and over my head so it would be a hood and still stay around my neck.

So anyway, that's just my guess. But like you said, with this yarn, it really doesn't matter what stitch you use because no one will see it anyway. I would be tempted to just do the entire thing in garter stitch myself. Easy peasy. And very warm and cozy!

MGM

HSRCampbell
01-31-2011, 02:58 PM
I think this is it, actually. http://www.shawlministry.com/instructions.html

MMario
01-31-2011, 03:11 PM
You do 6 to eight rows of GARTER stitch (knit every row)

Then you
A)(k3, P3) across, ending with k3
b) (p3, k3) across, ending with p3
C) (k3, P3) across, ending with k3

Repeat these three rows...it will give you a checkerboard effect.
keep repeating the 3 rows until almost out of yarn

Then you end the shawl with another 6 to eight rows of garter.

The multiples of three (or so I was told) were for the Trinity.

trvvn5
02-03-2011, 03:18 PM
That looks to me like a simple basketweave pattern. MMario is right with how you are going to end up doing this. And it should end up looking very similar to this.

Basketweave (http://www.lionbrand.com/faq/276.html?www=1&language=En)

hlbronwyn
02-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Unless your group is using only a certain pattern for their prayer shawls you should be able to do what ever you want for the prayer shawls. I have several prayer shawl books but there are no hard and fast rules for creating them. I have also created several shawls for others. You can make them as simple as just knitting the whole thing to the desired size, to making much more intricate knitting designs. The important thing is incorporating the prayers, blessings and the intent in the giving of this precious gift. :grphug: