PDA

View Full Version : Needle tatting??? anyone???

Louine
02-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Okay, I have been knitting and crocheting for years...more than I want to say.....about 15 years ago I went to a Math conference and saw someone tatting.....she graciously tried to show me and I bought a shuttle and tried when I got home but just couldn't do it, written directions didn't help. I recently watched a video of needle tatting and thought that it would be easier....I am motivated to learn because I want to tat a pendant for a wedding shower gift for my neice.....I want to add some pearls that came from her grandmother's jewelry.
I have looked a various videos on line and have ordered a book or two but I was just wondering if anyone out there had taken up needle tatting lately.

mcleodhandcraftgifts
02-03-2011, 10:48 AM
ME ! ME ! ME !! I am in the exact same boat as you do ------ someone sent me a link. I was so facinated with tatted items, I couldn't believe that I have never seen or heard of it ( pretended ). So I bought shuttle, it didn't work for me. then I watched video ----- that is where I learned needle tatting basics. Then I am on to the mission to create the tatted "fiber arts". I love tatting and absolutely enjoy doing it.

Louine
02-04-2011, 08:45 PM
What books did you buy??? what links.....what helped the most?????

Becky Morgan
02-06-2011, 01:00 AM
I learned a few years ago. Don't have any books, just use regular tatting patterns and kind of translate in my head--I never could get the hang of doing the regular style. So far I haven't made anything big, only little motifs for trim.

mcleodhandcraftgifts
02-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Louine,

Watch You tube --- that is how I got started. I still can't use shuttle, but I can do a little biit needle tatting. Started macking pendants and necklaces,. prepare for my show. So, continue on.
mcleodhandcraftgifts

Mokumegane
02-07-2011, 03:58 PM
I can't do the shuttle tatting... can't wrap my brain around it to understand but I can do needle tatting very easily! I love needle tatting!

Antares
02-07-2011, 08:48 PM
I've been doing needle tatting on and off for several years now. I learned from a book. By the way, those tatting needles come in handy for all kinds of things (not just tatting)--stringing beads on thread, for example!

Best of luck to you!