PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Problems...

TEMA
02-20-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm working on my first cardigan. IT's called Autumn Afternoons Cardigan and I either got it off Ravelry or from Lion Brand.
I've done the back and am now work in on the right front of the sweater.
RIGHT FRONT
C.O. 33 sts
Row 1 R.S. K4(for facing), sl 1, K to end of row.
Row 2 Purl
Rep. last 2 rows til piece measures 15" (I'm doing only 13" as I want the sweater a shorter length) from beginning ending with W.R.
SHAPE COLLAR - next row - R.S.
K4, m1, p.m., sl1, p.m. , m1, k to end of row - 35 sts.
Next row - Purl
Next row - k to marker, sl marker, sl1, sl marker, sl1, sl marker, m1, k to end of row - 37 sts.
Repeat last 4 rows 8 more times & at the same time, when piece measures 16" from beginning, ending with R.S row.
Next row - R.S.
B.O. 5 sts at beg. of next W.S. row.
Decrease 1 st at beg. of every W.S. row 4X's. Continue collar shaping and then work even until piece measures 27" (22" for me) from beg. ending with R.S. row.
B.O. 6 sts at beg. of next 2 W.S. rows.
Work even for 3" transfer rem. sts. to spare needle
Do the same in reverse for Left Front.

Now then, someone added a note where you say how you felt about this pattern and it said:
Collar directions are wrong. It's inside out. It's meant to be flipped out - with the smooth side facing out and yet the pattern calls for knit collar on R.S. and purl on the W.S. making it curl inwards.

So I'm at that point now and I'm wondering if this person is right. I decided that all of you, very experienced knitters would be able to tell me if I should trust the pattern and do what it says or listen to the comment done by someone who I assume has tried to use it.

Secondly, I'm getting all mixed up with the different sizes... I want my sweater to be 22" long and I'm getting lost in all the different sizings that go along with the pattern... knit till it is this long..... "
If you look at the various sizes, can you tell me if I've got it figured out right? The schematic for the sweater is 3 drawings. One is for the back and that was easy to figure out - not much shaping being done there.
But the second one has all sorts of shaping and its hard for me to figure out how many inches I should be for them...
Perhaps I'm asking too much... and I'm sorry for that, but I'm just about weirding out... I guess my math isn't too good... :) Ya think?
:eyes:
:)
If you can only help me with the first question, I'd be ever so grateful! :woot:
Love,
TEMA

suzeeq
02-20-2011, 10:39 PM
For the collar, do it how you think it should be and see if that works. If it doesn't turn out right, you can always take it out and do over.

TEMA
02-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Thanks, Suzeeq.
I tried it this afternoon and the pattern is wrong. The only trouble is I can't for the life of me figure out how I should be doing it.
What do I do to reverse it? Somehow I do the opposite of what she is saying but I have no idea how to do that...:doh: :think:
Could you please show me what I should do?
Thanks,
TEMA :whoosh:

suzeeq
02-20-2011, 11:39 PM
Do you have a link to the pattern so I can take a look at the picture?

TEMA
02-21-2011, 04:02 AM
I can get it to knit up right....
I went back to the original pattern and someone else had made a comment. She said the collar has two sections. "There is a facing and a collar. The facing folds into the slipped st.
This is then sewn to the collar section. It will be doubled.
Then you turn the facing out, it has the st.st. pattern.
So, I'm guessing I just go on knitting until the pattern is done, doing it all over again for the left side but in reverse and then it all comes clear when I sew the pieces together.
Well, at least, I hope I understand it because I understand that there are no directions for the actual sewing of all the pieces together and if you don't do it right, the shoulders don't go into place properly.
TEMA :woot: