PDA

View Full Version : knit gaiter for backpacker

rejoycew
03-21-2011, 05:00 PM
My adult daughter wants me to knit her a gaiter (neck scarf) for abackpacking trip The considerations are light weight, warm, wicking moisture away from neck. What are suggestions for yarn? I'm stumped when it comes to the wicking moisture away (her words) and what about patterns? I see one on lionbrand.com Pattern #: 60121A. Does someone know of a better one?
Thanks for your help,
Rejoyce

suzeeq
03-21-2011, 06:32 PM
You probably want to go with a wool, even when wet it still keeps you warm. I don't know of any yarn that 'wicks moisture away' from the body.

This Forum is for blog type posting, you'll get more responses in General Knitting as more people read that one. I'm going to move it over there when I'm done typing...

I also fixed the spelling in the thread title...

noseysheep
03-22-2011, 10:55 AM
2 minutes on google gave me this:

http://www.knitonecrochettoo.com/wick.htm

HTH :wink:

suzeeq
03-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Cool, it's made with polypropelene which is good at wicking moisture. Nice colors.

hookedonknitting
03-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Gaiters are boot and lower pant leg covers.... or at least where I am from......curious :)

suzeeq
03-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Neck gaiters go around the neck.

hookedonknitting
03-26-2011, 09:55 PM
I find that the funniest thing! :D
Actually when I first read the knit gaiters bit, I wondered how that would work...LOL!

Jannette
03-27-2011, 05:51 AM
There are free patterns on Ravelry. I found a couple of great, easy, quick ones there.

fatoldladyinpjs
03-27-2011, 09:00 AM
You can use any hat pattern to get the number of cast on stitches. It's basically a tube open on both ends and knit with circulars or double points. I would suggest using a German twisted cast on to make it easier to get on and off. Knitting Help has tutorial videos on this cast on.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/cast-on

On size 8 needles, I believe I cast on 80 or 90 stitches. The height of this is 9 inches. I used a rib pattern, either k1,p1 or k2, p2. These are sometimes called circle scarves. One of mine is in wool. It's very warm. I like it because I can pull it up over my face when it gets windy or cold and it stays in place. I don't have the ends of a scarf coming undone and flapping all over the place. You don't use as much yarn, either, and it's more practical.