PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION: FIREFOX 4

ArtLady1981
03-23-2011, 07:56 PM
Please help: If I download the newly released FIREFOX 4, will I lose all of my bookmarks, settings and specific toolbar bookmarks? I've had Firefox browser for several years, and I'm very attached to my set-up.

If my bookmarks are whooshed over, will the entire setup be whooshed, too? I can't find any language that speaks to this question. I'd rather stick with the usable FIREFOX 3 than have to spend hours tweaking FIREFOX 4.

Jan in CA
03-23-2011, 08:26 PM
:lol: Funny to find this post! I just updated and saw that FF 4 was out, too. It looks interesting, but I don't know about the bookmarks.

I saw they have a FF4 mobile for Android. Not yet for iPhone. :( I mean they have it, but it's not rated highly.

suzeeq
03-23-2011, 10:07 PM
You can always save your FF 3 bookmarks into a file on your computer, then if they don't change you can import them into 4. But I think they do automatically import when you upgrade, I used to use FF 2 and don't recall a problem porting over the bookmarks.

Go to the Bookmark tab at the top of the window and choose Organize Bookmarks, then there's another menu and choose Backup.

fatoldladyinpjs
03-24-2011, 09:33 AM
As an aside, I was having problems with KH's website with Google Chrome browser. Some post pages came up as a blank red page. You and your webmaster gave me prompt attention. You emailed me right back and didn't blow me off. Thank you. This has now been fixed and I have no problems. Kudos to your webmaster! Please tell him thank you for me.

ArtLady1981
03-24-2011, 12:50 PM
As an aside, I was having problems with KH's website with Google Chrome browser. Some post pages came up as a blank red page. You and your webmaster gave me prompt attention. You emailed me right back and didn't blow me off. Thank you. This has now been fixed and I have no problems. Kudos to your webmaster! Please tell him thank you for me.

I will!

THANKS, SHELDON!!! (He's the best!) :cheering:

offgridgirl
03-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Hubby upgraded and didn't have any loss of bookmarks,but there are changes in the format, so you may want to change the set-up to be similar to FF3. The tabs are in a different location and there are more options for your bookmarks..

MOTTO: If it works, don't change it!!:mrgreen:

Jan in CA
03-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Did you upgrade, Dollyce?

jpenguin
03-27-2011, 10:27 AM
I just upgraded to FF4 yesterday day & didn't lose a thing. They have changed the placement of some things but so far for the better.

ArtLady1981
03-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Did you upgrade, Dollyce?

No...too chicken. But the more I read...the less likely I am to upgrade.

But, jury's still out.

My version of FF runs fine 'n dandy. The new FF touts more speed. Meh.
My version is fast enough. The new FF touts 'better bookmark organization', etc. That interests me, but not enough...yet.

I want read all about the PROS 'n CONS that are just around the corner, from those who downloaded FF4.

I got bit in the butt TWICE when I upgraded from a perfectly good 'version' of WINDOWS LIVE (for email) and iTunes.

The new version of WINDOWS LIVE was horrible on many levels, and despite hours of online tech support, it never functioned correctly, nor quickly. I had to take it up the tailpipe until they scrapped that version and released another in its place!

The new version of iTunes erased all of my music! What a royal pain, restoring it! Hours and hours of work. :eyes:

So....you can color me GUNSHY! :pout:

suzeeq
03-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Yeah, sometimes the 'new, improved' updates aren't.

Jan in CA
03-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Yep, I've been waiting for more reviews, too. I don't even know what Windows Live is, but iTunes updates drive me crazy. The only way I've been able to do it is to restart in safe mode, delete the temp folder, restart and update. I haven't done this latest one because of the hassle. As long as it works I'm fine with it.

BTW... your signature has a huge gap at the bottom. I have to keep scrolling to get to the next post because your post and sig takes up my whole screen+. :??

suzeeq
03-27-2011, 01:31 PM
So I'm not the only one seeing all that blank space....

forego1
03-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Guess I'll stick with Firefox 3 whatever until it stops working. I actually prefer IE by a lot. So many things won't work in Firefox that will in IE, at least on my computer. I have to use Firefox for the online work I do, though.

offgridgirl
03-27-2011, 03:54 PM
FF3 is great and works fine. I only do minimal buying on-line

If you banking,buying or payments on-line, then FF4 is more secure and faster.

Eventually we will all have to update but in the mean time...save your bookmarks and do regular back-ups of your work.!!:cool:

ArtLady1981
03-27-2011, 03:57 PM
...your signature has a huge gap at the bottom. I have to keep scrolling to get to the next post because your post and sig takes up my whole screen...

Is it okay on your screen now? I dunno what happened to cause all the blank white space. :pout: I think I fixed it now.

Jan in CA
03-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Yes, it's fixed now, Dollyce! :yay:

Guess I'll stick with Firefox 3 whatever until it stops working. I actually prefer IE by a lot. So many things won't work in Firefox that will in IE, at least on my computer. I have to use Firefox for the online work I do, though.

Really? I hate IE and never use it and I rarely ever have a problem with any websites I go to. We must go to different ones. :teehee:

suzeeq
03-27-2011, 04:20 PM
I prefer FF too, but I use IE for my work email, to keep it separate from the email with FF. One of my jobs didn't like FF for the webbased email for its company so that's when I set up IE for that.

Your sig is fine now Dollyce, but I just noticed mine has blank space now....

ArtLady1981
03-27-2011, 04:21 PM
I actually prefer IE by a lot.

The only viruses, worms or bots that ever affected my computer was when I was using IE and Norton Anti-Virus. And oh my...the hours and hours spent doing a re-format and tweaking and restoring everything...I just cannot tell you what a hassle IE and Norton brought my way. I liked the IE browser, don't get me wrong...but it isn't safe. Maybe the EVIL ONES put more crap out on that browser. I dunno.

Since I switched to FF and McAfee Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware...I've never had a single solitary problem!

It was actually one of our members who told me that A) Norton doesn't work...and, B) IE is the most dangerous browser to use.

He uses LINUX OS, but he is a techie kind of guy. He recommended I use FF and McAfee. I switched and never looked back!

So I use FF for safety...and it works just great. McAfee is wonderful, too.

suzeeq
03-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Yes, the hackers and virus mongers are more able to get into IE's code than other browsers. And since more people use it by default, the junk propagates faster.

offgridgirl
03-27-2011, 04:34 PM

He uses LINUX OS, but he is a techie kind of guy. He recommended I use FF and McAfee. I switched and never looked back!

So I use FF for safety...and it works just great. McAfee is wonderful, too.

Ditto!! MY (hubby) tech guru guy says the same....I use Windows 7 on a used laptop with FF3 and AVG free software....NP!! ever!!:mrgreen:

KatzKnitter
03-28-2011, 12:18 AM
Your bookmarks, settings, themes, color scheme, add-ons, history, etc. exist in your profile, not in the program. In Win XP, that would be

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data\Mozilla Firefox\profiles\randomalphanumeric

In Win 7, it's in a similar place. That folder is never touched by upgrades.

Daylilydayzed
03-28-2011, 08:16 PM
This is why I use SeaMonkey browser and Thunderbird for mail. I update every time Sea Monkey brings up the new version and I have never lost a favorite site or any other bookmarked items

Jan in CA
04-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Dollyce, did you ever get Firefox 4?

ArtLady1981
04-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Dollyce, did you ever get Firefox 4?

No. I'm so reluctant to rock the boat. All of my precious toolbar bookmarks! I don't completely trust their software transition to be seamless and without troubles. I just don't need the aggravation at the moment. Know what I mean?

My current version of FireFox is working just fine for me! :thumbsup:

You know the old saying: If it ain't broke, don't fix it, fool!

Story:
I "upgraded" my Windows Live email program a few upgrades ago...and it was a NIGHTMARE. The previous version had worked so perfectly for me. Then comes along THE DUD. I worked with the Microsoft Tech Support people for weeks on end...trying to sort out the issues. (BTW I was not alone...many other folks were having problems, too). Anyway, I finally gave up. It was just a crapola program. THEN lo and behold...months & months later...they issue another "upgrade" version...which I instantly jumped on. How could it be any worse? And FINALLY, the new version is working very good, with nice bells and whistles.

I have read pros and cons (on the internet) about FireFox 4 being buggy.
Many folks are bellyaching about troubles with it. Mainly, the transition. :wall:

suzeeq
04-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Any MS product upgrade is a PitA, especially the first couple versions. That's why we wait for the latest version of Windows to come out, then upgrade to the previous version unless it's known to be so buggy that it's not worth it. Then we just wait...

ArtLady1981
04-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Any MS product upgrade is a PitA, especially the first couple versions. That's why we wait for the latest version of Windows to come out, then upgrade to the previous version unless it's known to be so buggy that it's not worth it. Then we just wait...
Amen! :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
04-29-2011, 05:45 PM
Okay, thanks! I did the update today and they always show you the next one and I wondered if you'd done it yet. I'll wait. I don't need the aggravation either!

sarahandus
05-02-2011, 08:28 AM
I updated to FF4 a month ago, and now I'm going back to the last version which is, to my mind, a lot easier to deal with and is just as fast.
I hate losing the back "history" on the forward and back arrows.
Also I miss seeing the padlock, like to confirm that that page is secured.