PDA

View Full Version : Piano Music by Shandeh

Shandeh
03-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Last night, I decided to try writing a piece of music. I've been a musician for almost 40 years now, but have only written a few simple songs. But, I've been hearing an orchestra playing beautiful music in my head since I was a little girl.

I've often wondered what would happen if I tried to get some of that music out of my head. So, last night, I sat down at the piano, grabbed a handful of manuscript paper, and just started playing and writing it down. I went through a few sheets of manuscript paper, and finally ended up with one simple piece for piano. I'm calling it "The Wanderer".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg1AljEZ4Ew

Jan in CA
03-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Sandy! That is beautiful! Because of the name and the music I was picturing a lone man walking down a dusty road in the 30's or 40's maybe and toward the end of the piece he comes to a time worn home and his wife comes running out to meet him as if he'd been gone a long time and found his way home. It sounds like music from a movie. :yay:

Shandeh
03-29-2011, 05:16 PM
cloud9 Thank you Jan! :hug:

I was SO anxious about sharing my music with the world. It's hard to pour out your soul in front of everyone. But, I just had to try....just to see if the music I have inside me will touch someone else.

I love your description of what you imagined as you listened to the music. I can see that too now. Wouldn't it be cool if someone could act out that scene and make a video to go along with my music?

kittykins
03-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Just beautiful Shandeh!:yay: You are indeed one talented lady. Thanks for sharing this with us. I hope we'll be hearing more of your compositions in the future. Jeanie

Shandeh
04-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Thank you, Jeanie! :heart:

I think I've lit a fire in my soul, because I've been grabbing manuscript paper at least once a day, and writing down simple melodies I hear in my head. I'll let you all know when I make another video.

wellslipmystitches
04-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Finally had a chance to listen to your music. I hear it like a tone poem with a leaning toward the French like Satie or maybe another member of "Les Six". You have some interesting chordal progressions.

You mentioned having it acted out so why not arrange it as a modern dance or ballet. If you contact a dance teacher I'm sure they'd have fun choreographing it with you.

I hope you're not finished with the piece. Have to tell you how I'd love to hear it; scored for low strings (probably viola and cello) playing the arpegiated bass double timed - a low, cascading waterfall effect - and a nice oboe on the melody alternated with a little flute obligato with those parts switched on the repeat.

I think it would make a cool ballet! So, now you run out and get some orchestra members over to your place get it all down on paper and all get together and wail baby, wail! Then do a demo on YouTube so we can hear it. :<)
Jean

fatoldladyinpjs
04-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Your haunting, meditative tune reverberated in my head all day. It's very beautiful and you play well. Keep up the good work!

Shandeh
04-20-2011, 02:38 AM
Thank you both for the input, and encouragement. Jean, I love your ideas about my piece!

Debkcs
04-20-2011, 06:03 AM
Lovely Sandy! Don't know the reference, but a verse just popped in my head and played right along with you.

Shandeh
04-20-2011, 07:56 AM
Tell me what it was, Deb! I need a lyricist, because I'm not good with that kind of thing.

busyknitmom
04-20-2011, 03:56 PM
That was wonderful. Really beautiful. My 10 year old son even asked what song it was from across the room and said it was really good.

cindycactus
04-22-2011, 07:39 PM
I am not good with music but I know what I like. That was wonderful. Made me think of my Mother. She loved piano music. You need to let more of that pour out of your head. :thumbsup:

Shandeh
04-22-2011, 07:42 PM
That was wonderful. Really beautiful. My 10 year old son even asked what song it was from across the room and said it was really good.
Awww...How wonderful! cloud9
That brought tears to my eyes when I read that. :hug:

I am not good with music but I know what I like. That was wonderful. Made me think of my Mother. She loved piano music. You need to let more of that pour out of your head. :thumbsup:
:heart: :muah: :heart:
I'm so glad you enjoyed it!
I've been working on another one. It has pretty much the same sound. I'll try to finish it up this week, and make another video.

KathleenG
05-08-2011, 01:11 AM
Simply breath-taking! Thank you, Sandy, for the sharing of YOU! :heart:
(Now, where is the next one, please??)

NebraskaGal
05-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Your song is positively breath taking. I love it, it sounds similar to a song on the 2005 Pride and Prejudece. Which is by the way one of my FAVORITE movies! :teehee:

Shandeh
05-09-2011, 05:51 AM
Simply breath-taking! Thank you, Sandy, for the sharing of YOU! :heart: (Now, where is the next one, please??)
:hug:
I've started working on another song, but got sidetracked with lots of home improvement projects this month. I'm buying an ORGAN!! So, I've been busy getting the room ready for it. :thumbsup:

Your song is positively breath taking. I love it, it sounds similar to a song on the 2005 Pride and Prejudece. Which is by the way one of my FAVORITE movies! :teehee:
Thank you! :heart:

bambi
05-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Sandy, that is so very beautiful!! :inlove: I'm just blown away by your wonderful talent. Brava!!

Shandeh
05-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Thank you, Bambi! :heart:
I really need to write some more, so I can get better at releasing the music from inside my heart. I'm glad you enjoyed listening to it. :)

Breezed
05-17-2011, 09:59 AM
You play beautifully. That was nice to listen to. Thank you for sharing. :)

Shandeh
05-19-2011, 04:38 AM
Thank you for listening! :muah:

wellslipmystitches
05-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Sandy, You mentioned another composition and that it would be similar to your first. Hey, that's how we know one composer from another.

That's why I can distinguish music of Brahms from Mendelssohn, Shostakovich from Bach. Each has his own sound. Your sound is just yours.

So when is it coming? We're waiting. Jean

Shandeh
05-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Gosh, I wish I could compose the way that one of those men did! They are all amazing. :inlove: I'm especially in love with Brahms right now. I played "Lerchengesang" for the prelude at church today. ("Song of the Larks")

I've been crazy busy lately, painting and redoing the floors in two rooms of my house for the past two months. But, I think I'll finish up one of the rooms tomorrow night! :cheering: :cheering:

So, then, that room can be set up with furniture again, and my piano will be ready to play. I'm moving in an organ on June 2nd, so that will be fun too. Can't wait! cloud9

wellslipmystitches
05-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Interesting. You've been remodeling for the past 2 mos. and you still appear to be sane! How long will the recuperation period be?

Yes, the 'Song of the Larks' is so beautiful. The words too. 'How sweetly you move my heart, you lovely voices.'
You ever see the movie based on the book by Willa Cather?

I didn't mean to infer that the only good composers were male.
Let's not ignore Augusta Read Thomas (composer in residence for the Chgo. Symphony for several years),and Conni Elinoor (Blackberry Winter) and Joan Tower(Fanfare for the Uncommon Woman). Have you heard any of their stuff? I think you'd especially enjoy "Blackberry Winter". It's a concerto for dulcimer and orchestra. Really cool! Yes women can compose music.

So much to hear . Good luck with your remodel work. Jean

Shandeh
05-24-2011, 04:22 AM
Interesting. You've been remodeling for the past 2 mos. and you still appear to be sane! How long will the recuperation period be?
The REST OF MY LIFE! I don't want to do this kind of work ever again. :roflhard:

Yes, the 'Song of the Larks' is so beautiful. The words too. 'How sweetly you move my heart, you lovely voices.' You ever see the movie based on the book by Willa Cather?
cloud9 No, I haven't read that book, or seen the movie. I'll look for them!

I didn't mean to infer that the only good composers were male. Let's not ignore Augusta Read Thomas (composer in residence for the Chgo. Symphony for several years),and Conni Elinoor (Blackberry Winter) and Joan Tower(Fanfare for the Uncommon Woman). Have you heard any of their stuff? I think you'd especially enjoy "Blackberry Winter". It's a concerto for dulcimer and orchestra. Really cool! Yes women can compose music.
Another thing to look for! Thanks for all the good leads. :wink:

Doublereeder2
05-28-2011, 12:00 AM
That is a really lovely composition!

Shandeh
05-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Thank you! :hug:

I've been hearing an arrangement of Finlandia going through my head lately. But it's very complicated, with lots of movement. I wonder if I'll ever be able to put it all on paper?

Doublereeder2
05-31-2011, 09:05 AM
Thank you! :hug:

I've been hearing an arrangement of Finlandia going through my head lately. But it's very complicated, with lots of movement. I wonder if I'll ever be able to put it all on paper?
YES!!! Go for it!

Shandeh
10-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Someone recorded me playing at church a couple weeks ago! Here's the video of "Here I Am, Lord".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l193ZcipMaA

Debkcs
10-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Really lovely, Sandy. Did you do the arrangement also? It's a bit different from the one I know.
If you're ever able to get Finlandia the way you want it, be sure you post it here, please? It's one of my favorites.

salmonmac
10-10-2011, 07:04 AM
Sandy, thanks very much for the lovely, romantic piano piece. i'm glad you gave all of us a chance to hear what was in your head.

Shandeh
10-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Really lovely, Sandy. Did you do the arrangement also? It's a bit different from the one I know.
Thank you! :heart: It's an arrangement by Janet Vogt. A single piece sheet music version. My church really likes that arrangement, and asked me to play it for homecoming. The person who recorded the video ESPECIALLY likes it. He took a copy of the music to his tattoo artist, and had a small portion of it put on his arm!
If you're ever able to get Finlandia the way you want it, be sure you post it here, please? It's one of my favorites.
Definitely. It's still swimming around in my head for now. I can hear a flute solo at the beginning, with flowing piano accompaniment, then a full orchestra takes over. I have a lot to learn to be able to get all of that down. Maybe I should take a composition class or two. :teehee:
Sandy, thanks very much for the lovely, romantic piano piece. i'm glad you gave all of us a chance to hear what was in your head.
cloud9 Thank you!

Woodi
10-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Shandeh, thank you so much for sharing this lovely music with us. I know virtually nothing about music, just know what I like, and this brought a huge small into my heart and loveliness into my ears. Blessings be upon you for sharing! Do more, do more!

Shandeh
10-11-2011, 09:51 PM
I'm so glad you enjoyed my music! cloud9
I still have so much music to set free from my heart. I don't know if it will all be appreciated by others, but I'll never know if I don't let it be heard. :teehee:

Shandeh
12-03-2012, 04:17 AM
Merry Christmas!

Here's a video I made this morning, while rehearsing "O Holy Night", arranged by Bill Wolaver.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9fixpA4-u0

GrumpyGramma
12-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Right now I'm listening to you play in church, will listen to O Holy Night next. Your composition is ... I have no words for how moving and beautiful it is. Somehow sad and hopeful, triumphant even. I'm no musician, but when I hear something beautiful, I know it's beautiful. You play so well. I wish I could really tell you what it makes me feel to hear you play and especially your original composition. Thank you. :muah:

I'm glad this got bumped up or I never would have heard you play. You made my day so much better.

Shandeh
12-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Thank you for those sweet words of encouragement, my friend! :muah:
I've been playing piano since the 3rd grade, and started working as a church musician at the age of 14. Piano has always been a big part of my life. :heart:

DavidSydney63
01-10-2013, 05:15 AM
Hey - I'm a composer/pianist too ... I loved your piece - very nice and heartfelt.

dawn1838
01-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Thank you for sharing your talent. Your music brought out several emotions in me. I wanted to cry, then felt like soaring! Beautiful!

Shandeh
01-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Hey - I'm a composer/pianist too ... I loved your piece - very nice and heartfelt.
Cool! I would love to hear/see some of your piano pieces! :)

Thank you for sharing your talent. Your music brought out several emotions in me. I wanted to cry, then felt like soaring! Beautiful!
Aw....I'm so glad that my simple music touched your heart! :hug:

DavidSydney63
01-19-2013, 03:58 AM
Shandeh

I'm working on a musical at present and a huge arrangement of a large stage work for small orchestra (taking it from the full score for enormous orchestra).

As much as I play the piano and compose, I've never written for it, you might just have pushed me into new territory!!

thanks

Shandeh
01-19-2013, 05:41 AM
So cool! You are an inspiration! :notworthy:

salmonmac
01-19-2013, 08:14 AM
Shandeh, a belated thank you for the wonderful performance. It's always wonderful to hear you play.