PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep track of where you're at in a pattern?

Antares
04-27-2011, 11:22 AM
I'd be curious to hear how other knitters and crocheters keep track of which row they're on in a pattern.

I have a method which works pretty well, but I always like to hear new ways of doing things.

Here's what I do: I like to work from a paper copy of a pattern, so if the pattern is in a book, I copy it (so I don't mess up my pattern books). If it's online, I space out the directions and print it. Then, I attach a brightly colored paper clip to the side of the paper and slide it down to indicate which row I'm on.

What method do you use?

Jeremy
04-29-2011, 11:10 AM
I use post it notes. When I am knitting from a chart I use two or three long ones and cover the line above the one I am knitting on up.

saracidaltendencies
04-29-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm pretty lazy about it, really...lol...First off, any time I knit ANYTHING if I need to put my work down I make sure I'm on a knit row...That way, no matter what, I know I'll always start on a knit row 'cause, well, that's just how I roll...If there is a pattern I am following and I have to put my work down I draw an arrow at the row I'm on, and circle the very next step...I use pencil so I can erase it, I don't make copies 'cause I can't be bothered to, and, my printer/copier thing isn't working anyway...lol

trvvn5
04-29-2011, 02:08 PM
I use a program on my phone as a row counter.

I think that Jan has the best way though. If I remember correctly she uses linked circles as row counters for things that have row repeats.

hyperactive
04-29-2011, 02:45 PM
to keep track in my chart I do use post-it-notes or a ruler across the line.

To know which row I am on in my pattern I also use a "rosary". No, logically you can not make much of that term. It is my term.

Here in my blog (http://hyperactiveknitting.blogspot.com/2011/02/rosary-der-rosenkranz.html) I have an article to describe what that is and how it works. Pretty much it is a fool prove row/round-counter! (and I mean: fool prove!)

Jan in CA
04-29-2011, 03:48 PM
I think that Jan has the best way though. If I remember correctly she uses linked circles as row counters for things that have row repeats.

Here's the link for the thread about the linked markers.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102880

The linked markers are great for cable repeats or whenever you've got to do a repeat of decreases every specific number of rows. If you are varying the rows then they are harder to use.

I use just a mark next to the row I just finished in patterns that give you row by row instructions and I don't want to forget where I am if I set it down for awhile.

knitcindy
04-29-2011, 03:53 PM
I use a bunch of different methods:

#1 - A slip-on-the-needle row counter
#2 - A sticky note that I move down row-by-row
#3 - A sticky note card where I use a pencil to make tally marks

It all depends on how big the project is AND how many rows I've got to keep track of at one time.

knitcindy

lorella
04-29-2011, 04:04 PM
wow some good ideas here for me to try out.

lorella
04-29-2011, 04:24 PM
The method that I use and have been the most successful method is that I have one of those small magnetic quick wipe message boards to which I use a couple of small magnets to hold my copied pattern. I then have a strip of card stalk paper to "underline" my pattern row, a couple of small magnets. and ... sometimes I need a vertical paper to keep track of the place on the row(that is bad huh?, :wall: memory is a good thing to have). the wipe marker comes in handy for when you do repeating commands such as: (k3 p7) X5 . I simply make marks on the board and my marker is strapped right to the board. This method is great for knitting while traveling.

Snugglebugmom
04-30-2011, 03:41 PM
I keep subbing to threads on here simply because they have awesome ideas! Jan, thanks for the link to the jump ring chains thread, I bookmarked it and am going to try it with my next project. That's a brilliant way to mark!

MGM
04-30-2011, 05:32 PM
I've posted a few ideas on my website for keeping track of rows and repeats and such...here are a few links:

http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2009/08/how-to-keep-track-of-decrease-rows-in.html
http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2009/06/make-your-patterns-easy-to-read.html
http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2009/08/knitted-lace-shawl-helpful-hints-on.html

but I must say, after checking out the 'rosary' tip above, I am anxious to use that one my next project. Totally ingenious and brilliant! I just love how simple it is and impossible to forget or lose!

MGM

hyperactive
04-30-2011, 07:28 PM
glad I could help! I love my rosaries, meanwhile.
Making them according to a certain project makes it really easy to not forget the points of interest...
You can always make one with further marks in the chain or anything.

The linked chain-stitch markers by Jan are the same thing. (the rosary is just quicker and cheaper. The chains are prettier and longer lasting!)

mathwizard
05-03-2011, 07:23 AM
I have a row/pattern/increase and decrease counter. It is called "Peg-It" Knitting Counter by Susan Bates. It is a little peg board with a section to peg for rows, pattern rows, increase/decrease and a section called increase/decrease/finished. There is paper explaining how to use it. I also use a roe counter on my needles in case I forget to peg it. Been using it for over 50 years and still going great!!!

kitchnerkat
05-03-2011, 02:28 PM
I use a bunch of different methods:

#1 - A slip-on-the-needle row counter
#2 - A sticky note that I move down row-by-row
#3 - A sticky note card where I use a pencil to make tally marks

It all depends on how big the project is AND how many rows I've got to keep track of at one time.

knitcindy

I like knitcindy use a variety of methods. My favorite is something I actually carried over from my cross stitch days. I have magnetic movers (movers) on a 8 X 10 size of thin metal. I place the pattern on the metal surface then I can move the 4 separate magnets around the page. It keeps the pattern neat and organized and I don't have to worry about losing sticky notes. I also make sure I end on a completed row.

ZoeS
05-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Whenever I start a new project I fix the pattern so it can be followed line-by-line. So, if "row 13" is "same as row 5", I will copy the stitches from row 5 and make a row 13 in the pattern. Then I send that to my ipod touch and just scroll down at each row. I rest it on my knee while I knit and close the file when I'm done; it opens up when I left off.

squizzer99
05-07-2011, 12:36 PM
All my patterns are downloaded from the internet so I just use the good old pad, pencil and paper, I always make a copy of the pattern too, keep it in a safe folder , it doesnt matter then if the other copy gets damaged

fatoldladyinpjs
05-07-2011, 09:08 PM
I don't have a printer right now. I get my patterns free off the internet. I'm cheap. I detest following patterns. I prefer to knit using inch measurements. I look at how many rows are needed for a certain repeat. Using the row gauge, I convert the number of rows to inches and measure. If I do a pattern once, like it, and might use it again, I'll write my inch measurements down in a small 4 by 6 notebook so I can find it again. It's easy to forget how to do the pattern if you haven't knitted it for a while.

A typical "pattern" for me goes like this. Mittens: cast on 32 stitches. K1,p1 ribbing for 3 inches. (afterthought thumb) knit in stockinette for 2 1/2 inches to thumb, mark it with contrast yarn, knit straight for 4 1/2 inches, begin my favorite decrease for the top of the mitten. That's about 1/2 inch. Total length of mitten: 10 1/2 inches.

I knit practical things like mittens, hats, scarves, and socks so it's nothing complicated. I know this method sounds strange but it works for me. My tape measure is my best friend.

My latest pattern was toe up baby socks. I liked this particular one because it gave measurements on page two, how much to knit from the toe until you had to start the heel turn.
http://lynnioknits.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/tuml2x_babysock_2sizes.pdf

MRSCHAD
05-17-2011, 09:18 AM
I recently started using flip cards. I print everything out on index cards. One row at a time. (print or write or type). Then I punch a hole in the corner and insert a round clip of some sort-I have even used shower curtain hooks. Then after completeing a row, I 'flip' the card over! I just learned about that this past month!:woohoo:

Gogi
06-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Hello! I just found a Susan Bates "Peg-It" at a yard sale but it doesn't have instructions on how to use it. Does anyone have the instructions? It looks like a really cool tool! Thanks in advance, Gogi

Gogi
06-16-2011, 01:52 PM
I like using the highlighter tape that is now available. It's like a post it note in a scotch tape dispenser. Very useful!

Daylilydayzed
06-16-2011, 10:39 PM
This how I keep my place in a complicated pattern stitch
I use slip on row counters, I put one on each needle and each end of circular needles. When I start knitting the pattern I put one row marker at the front of the first stitch so it will be at the end of the row when knitted. Then I start row two with another row counter set at the 2 mark and keep each stitch counter on the front and end of the knitting. If I have to stop for some reason I put the row marker at the front of the needle with the next row to be knitted set on the marker. If the marker is front of the knitting, I have not started that row. It keeps me from getting lost in the pattern when I do it this way.

crazykntter83
06-17-2011, 10:49 AM
If it's something that I have to repeat a certain amount of times, I simply make a dash on some sort of piece of paper to tell myself that I've repeated what needs to be repeated this many times.
If I feel like I am going to lose my place in the pattern that I'm knitting, I'll simply place a mark by the row that I've last completed, so that I know to start on the next row that doesn't haven't a mark. Generally though, I can remember where I'm at in my pattern, and I'll just read through it when I finish a row every once in a while to refresh myself, and make sure I know what I'm doing. Odd though, I can remember where I am in my knitting, but so easily forget other things.:teehee:

Arielluria
06-17-2011, 12:57 PM
I love that rosary idea too.

Wanda Witch
06-17-2011, 01:09 PM
I have two row counters and sometimes actually use both at the same time for the same project, i.e., one for row(s) and one for repeat(s). I used to use hash marks but would sometimes forget where I was so not the best idea for me. Also, purchased the magnetic standing board with strips from KnitPicks and stand my printed pattern on it often using the smaller magnetic strips as a ruler, sliding it as I progress. By my side I also will use a small notebook and make notes as I go so I know where I am if I need to put something down for a while. Nothing fancy but so far, so good. Very interesting to read each one's methods. :knitting: