PDA

View Full Version : problem using circular needles...

CarolSherrill
05-03-2011, 03:37 PM
When I've knitted a row and am supposed to purl the next row, my stitches look like I just knitted the last row as well as where the yarn ends for me to begin next. What am I doing wrong? I catch myself doing this a lot with circular needles and I love to work with circular needles.

Snugglebugmom
05-03-2011, 04:11 PM
You mean when you are knitting stockinette stitch? When knitting in the round, stockinette is knitting every round, so you don't have to alternate knit and purl rows. If this is not what you meant, apologies for misunderstanding your question.

suzeeq
05-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Are you working flat or working in the round? When you join and work in the round, knitting every row makes stockinette stitch (one side smooth, one side bumpy); to get garter stitch (both sides bumpy with valleys between them) you need to alternate a knit round with a purl round.

When you work flat, it's just like knitting on straight needles - knittine every row gives you garter stitch, for stockinette you alternate a knit row with a purl row.

Now if you're working going to flat you might accidentally be joining the ends of the rows instead of turning, and you would be working in the round then.