PDA

View Full Version : Blocking

InChristAlone
05-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Hello everyone!

As I was doing some research on blocking, I noticed a pattern in what others were saying. Some people note that you can block man-made yarns, and others say you simply cannot, it will ruin the piece. There are several things that I would like to block, but they are all knit with synthetic yarns.

So my question is, can you block anything made out of synthetic yarns and if yes, what method works best?

Thank you!
InChristAlone :knitting:

Jan in CA
05-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Generally I just toss acrylic objects in the washer and dryer and they come out fine. However, there have been times when they benefited from blocking. You can kill acrylics though which is what people may be referring to. If you're going to block them do so by washing and laying out and pinning to shape or steam very carefully. I just blocked an acrylic/cotton sweater and it came out very nice after steaming, but I was very careful.

Here's a blog with info on blocking acrylic.
http://beadknitter.blogspot.com/2009/03/you-can-block-acrylic.html

inspinknity
05-06-2011, 08:19 AM
If you make something like a doily out of an acrylic yarn, then you can block it by steaming it so that it will remember to stay in that shape. Use a damp towel over the piece that has been set to shape with blocking wires (or pins) and steam with your iron. This will "kill" the acrylic and it will now stay in this shape. Don't do this to sweaters with ribbing, or cables, that you want to still have a little stretch or body, as it causes the fabric to become limp.

InChristAlone
05-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Thank you everyone for the tips!

I've decided on the method of blocking and I'll be spray blocking it. Does anyone know if this method is better or worse than the others you've mentioned?

suzeeq
05-06-2011, 10:03 AM
What is the item and what's your purpose in blocking it? If you have acrylic yarn, spray blocking is not going to do anything. Try washing it first and see how that comes out, it should even out the stitches nicely. The slight steaming that's created in the dryer sets the sts very well.

InChristAlone
05-07-2011, 08:51 AM
What is the item and what's your purpose in blocking it? If you have acrylic yarn, spray blocking is not going to do anything. Try washing it first and see how that comes out, it should even out the stitches nicely. The slight steaming that's created in the dryer sets the sts very well.

There are several scarves I would like to block, and possibly some hats in the future.

suzeeq
05-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Then just washing them will even out the sts, it may relax them a little. Not everything needs to be 'blocked' as in pinned and stretched out.