PDA

View Full Version : Sock musings

fatoldladyinpjs
05-13-2011, 04:16 AM
I spent all day knitting and frogging one stupid toe up baby sock. I know how to knit socks, but I'm always trying to tweek my knitting or come up with a simpler way to do something. In my ongoing quest for the perfect sock, I cruised Youtube videos.

The one that really got my goat was the one where the instructor is showing how to do a toe up sock. This is the provisional cast on, short rows with wraps. First she says there are no holes in it. She lies. Then she says that the holes are decorative and she thinks they look cute. She has obviously never lived in the frozen tundra. We don't do holes in socks here.

And who made her an expert anyway? She was so smug and condescending in her video that I just wanted to smack her. They make it look so easy. I could practice those techniques till the cows come home and mine would never look like that.

I came to a conclusion at the end of the day. We knitters don't need someone else to criticize our work. We do a pretty good job of it ourselves. No one is going to get down on their hands and knees with a magnifying glass and say, Cindy, you really blew it on that heel turn. Most people are thrilled to get whatever you knit them, imperfections and all, and tickled that you thought of them.

Jan in CA
05-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Agreed. Hopefully you can find your perfect sock in all the websites and videos. :hug: