PDA

View Full Version : Cutting your knitting

knittystix
05-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Has anyone ever actually cut their knitting? I made a prayer shawl while I was sick with a 7 day flu. I cast on lengthwise, but I must have been in the throes of a fever when I did because when I finished the shawl it turned out to be about 8 or 9 feet long! Since it's lengthwise and I can't just frog a few rows to make it shorter, I've been wondering about cutting it. Any ideas anyone?

Jan in CA
05-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Sure. Cutting your knitting is called steeking. It's usually done so you don't have to knit flat.

In the How-to Forum there is a sticky thread at the top of the page called "Steeked Sweaters 101" that has some conversation about it.

In addition to sweaters you can knit a shawl or scarf in the round and cut it to open it. Wool works best, but you can use other yarns if you secure them properly so they don't unravel.

margrue
05-21-2011, 03:59 PM
I cut the knitting on a sweater I bought that was about 3 inches too long in the sleeve. The bottom edge was turned up and machine stitched into a hem and I didn't want to mess with trying to pick out the machine stitching.
I cut one thread in the center of the row just above the hem, and picked it out both directions towards the sides, then when the whole row was free, I carefully ripped back another couple of inches. That left me with enough yarn to knit a new bottom edge at the length I needed.