PDA

View Full Version : Duffers for my Daughters

GrandmaLori
05-18-2011, 01:19 AM
I made these 3 pairs of duffers for my girls. They are very popular indeed! I found the pattern on Ravelry. I used 2 strands of Patons Wool and size 11 needles. They felted really nicely.

Lots of my friends say I should sell them, but I just say "I can't charge enough to make it worth the time, I'll make you a pair because I LIKE you!" :grphug: They are a quick knit for sure.

Jan in CA
05-18-2011, 02:08 AM
Beautiful! :yay:

You can't sell most things you make from patterns anyway. There's usually a copyright somewhere on the pattern or the designers site. I know a few though and keep those in my favorites with a tag that lets me know what they are should I ever feel the need to sell something. :lol:

salmonmac
05-18-2011, 05:31 AM
Those turned out very well I love the colors and I'll bet your daughters were delighted!

Slim
05-18-2011, 07:13 AM
Oh my gosh, those are so cute! Great work!

GrandmaLori
05-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Beautiful! :yay:

You can't sell most things you make from patterns anyway. There's usually a copyright somewhere on the pattern or the designers site. I know a few though and keep those in my favorites with a tag that lets me know what they are should I ever feel the need to sell something. :lol:
Jan, Thanks for that reminder. I always forget that aspect, even though I've never sold anything anyway.

Breezed
05-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Those are really cool and cute. I love them. Beautiful little touches you added with buttons, beads, and embroidery.

margz3
05-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Love them! Did you use the Duffer pattern or the French Press Pattern? I have been using the duffer pattern and everyone loves them! I need to figure out how to add the little strap, or I will need to break down and buy the french press pattern so I can adapt it - I'd love to make them that way!

GrandmaLori
05-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Yes, it's the duffers pattern. I found the strap instructions among the comments on the Duffers thread on ravelry. You just pick up 9 stitches along the line where the decreases are. Do 17 rows stockinette stitch. Then on the next 2 rows you do a dec. one stitch in from the edge stitch - on each side. Choose the dec. that leans the right way. on the 3rd row of deceases you do it right at each edge. this leaves you with 3 stitches on the needle and just bind off.

suzeeq
05-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Not being able to sell things from patterns is mostly a UK thing, US copyright doesn't cover the items made from a pattern, just the pattern itself. So even though they may say you can't sell any finished item, it's not legally enforceable. And what does it take away from them anyway? People who are going to buy the finished object will do it because they won't or can't make it themselves so they're not losing any pattern sales because of it.

GrandmaLori
05-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Not being able to sell things from patterns is mostly a UK thing, US copyright doesn't cover the items made from a pattern, just the pattern itself. So even though they may say you can't sell any finished item, it's not legally enforceable. And what does it take away from them anyway? People who are going to buy the finished object will do it because they won't or can't make it themselves so they're not losing any pattern sales because of it.
Suzee, that makes sense, like saying you can't sell cupcakes at a bake sale if they are from a recipe book that has a copyright on it.

suzeeq
05-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Yep, it's all in how the law is written. In the UK (and possibly Canada and Australia) it's an 'intellectual property' law which means the idea is protected, while in the US only the manner in which the idea is presented is protected.

margz3
05-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Yes, it's the duffers pattern. I found the strap instructions among the comments on the Duffers thread on ravelry. You just pick up 9 stitches along the line where the decreases are. Do 17 rows stockinette stitch. Then on the next 2 rows you do a dec. one stitch in from the edge stitch - on each side. Choose the dec. that leans the right way. on the 3rd row of deceases you do it right at each edge. this leaves you with 3 stitches on the needle and just bind off.

Thank you, thank you!! I never thought of looking for a thread for the Duffers, I just looked at the comments of people who had made them! I'm working on a pair right now for my mom....will have to see if she wants them this way :)

ArtLady1981
05-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Awesome work! You're very artistic! The embellishments make them very special!!!