PDA

View Full Version : Curious.. Do you remember first learning to knit?

RoseFairy
05-30-2011, 12:18 AM
Okay I'm very curious, does anyone remember what it was like when you first learned to knit? Was it difficult or easy? How did your knitting looked? Was it messy or neat looking? Loose or tight? Does anyone still have their first swatches or projects? If so do you look at it sometimes and think "Wow..."? Do you know anyone that was a 'decent' knitter when they first learned?

Jan in CA
05-30-2011, 12:26 AM
I do remember...it was only 5 yrs ago at age 53 or so. I'm a late in life learner. :lol: It was awkward and my tension wasn't that great, but practice makes perfect! Or closer to it anyway since no one is perfect. ;) Unfortunately I think I repurposed the yarn so I don't have my original swatch or whatever it was.

suzeeq
05-30-2011, 12:44 AM
I learned on string and sharpened tinkertoy sticks over 45 years ago, so I don't have my first 'swatch'. I didn't even know what a swatch was until I took up knitting again about 6 years ago after a 12 year break. My first project was a bunny for my niece, my second a sweater that I ripped out and reknit and is now unraveled again, waiting for a dye job (I don't like purple anymore) but I still have the yarn.

Daylilydayzed
05-30-2011, 01:57 AM
I taught myself how to knit when I was in High school in the 1970's. I made a baby blanket for my English teacher who was having a baby. Our class gave her a baby shower in class one day before she left for the baby's birth.I used yellow yarn (don't remember the brand) and a how to knit booklet that also had a baby blanket pattern in it. The pattern was stockinette background with purl rectangles that echoed the shape of the blanket and each rectangle was getting smaller until I reached the middle and then got bigger as I reached the end of the blanket. I put a sleeper and a pair of booties with the blanket when I gave it to her. She was surprised to learn I had knit it. After her baby was born( it was a little boy)
, she sent me a very nice thank you letter.

Vaya
05-30-2011, 03:13 AM
I think I was about eight or nine years old when my cousin taught me to knit, using what she called the knitting fairy tale. It goes something like this: The prince (your right hand needle) rides against the castle (first stitch on the left hand needle). He sneaks around and inside the backdoor, get the princess (i.e. the thread) and rides out. Voila!

My first project ever was a scarf, knit with some kind of frilly yarn that I thought lovely, but of course it was terrible for a first time knitter. Well, at least all my holes weren't as visible. ;)

salmonmac
05-30-2011, 06:22 AM
It was a rainy day at the shore and a friend's mother, desperate I think to keep us busy, bought us each a ball of yarn and knitting needles. Since she was right-handed and I'm a lefty, I learned to knit right-handed. We just knit a rectangle till we reached the end of the ball, ripped it out and re-knit the same yarn many times over. I remember slowly turning the piece to the back while watching the last st on the needle to make sure I only knit one st into it at the beginning of the next row. That first piece was uneven, full of errors and pretty grubby but it was a beginning.

fatoldladyinpjs
05-30-2011, 08:37 AM
I was 11 years old. It was 1967. A babysitter taught me how to knit. She learned from her old German grandmother. It was Continental style but she draped the yarn around her middle finger instead of the index. I still have that odd quirk. My first project was a headband. They were popular then.

bambi
05-30-2011, 10:01 PM
I picked it up 6 years ago or so. A friend and an aunt had taught me how to CO, do st st, and BO. I decided to tackle my first project while pregnant. I wanted to knit a poncho for breastfeeding. I finished the poncho, the purple one in my Ravelry projects, but never wore it for BF b/c when I had my daughter in November in Savannah, it was still well into the 90s and I would have roasted. :hot:

I am amazed about how I can now pick up a pattern that says experienced and be able to do it. I didn't even notice the transition from novice to experienced and I am there! :woot:

cftwo
05-31-2011, 10:59 AM
My mom taught me to knit about 30+ years ago as a "tween". I remember tight stitches, and extra wraps when I was learning to rib. I also remember starting so many projects (and often frogging them) that I knew exactly how to cast on, but could never remember how to cast off. I think I finally had casting off stick about the time I was in college.

Jeremy
05-31-2011, 12:22 PM
I was a very tight knitter when I started.

ArtLady1981
05-31-2011, 06:11 PM
Yes, I remember!

I was the night cashier at Manning's Restaurant.
My boss was a late-night, behind-the-scenes knitter.
I asked "Whatcha doin'?"
She gave me two sharp pencils and a wad of yarn, and taught me to knit and purl that very night. She said "all knitting is a combo of these two stitches...go get a US8 needle and a skein of yarn...and knit a scarf...preferably garter stitch...and get back to me..."

The rest is history!

I knit a perfect monstrosity of a scarf! As I remember, it was prolly 16" wide and 5' long, with fringe.
It was white with blue and red stripes at each end.

I wore it with pride. :wink: It overwhelmed me, but I was totally warm and cozy!

kcmomof2
05-31-2011, 06:13 PM
My mother taught me to knit in the early 80's to earn a Girl Scout badge. I met the requirements but never really fullly "embraced" knitting. My mother was a very advanced knitter and make really complicated projects so I think it was overwhelmed by the thought of it. In 2005 she passed away suddenly and left numerous WIPs that were all gifts for the grandchildren. My two kids and my niece. I wanted to find a knitter to finish them so the kids would have one last thing from Grandma Linda. I found a LYS with very nice women who all wanted to help but none had the time to knit for me. They offered to let me come weekly to their UFO (unfinished object night) and they would coach me through. In the process I became a pretty darn good knitter and haven't stopped since. I find it to be a nice connection to my mom 6 years after she passed. I still have all her needles and some of her yarn in my stash.

ArtLady1981
05-31-2011, 07:01 PM
My mother taught me to knit in the early 80's to earn a Girl Scout badge. I met the requirements but never really fullly "embraced" knitting. My mother was a very advanced knitter and make really complicated projects so I think it was overwhelmed by the thought of it. In 2005 she passed away suddenly and left numerous WIPs that were all gifts for the grandchildren. My two kids and my niece. I wanted to find a knitter to finish them so the kids would have one last thing from Grandma Linda. I found a LYS with very nice women who all wanted to help but none had the time to knit for me. They offered to let me come weekly to their UFO (unfinished object night) and they would coach me through. In the process I became a pretty darn good knitter and haven't stopped since. I find it to be a nice connection to my mom 6 years after she passed. I still have all her needles and some of her yarn in my stash.

That is a truly HAPPY ending to a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing it with us! You mother would be proud of you!!! :heart: Sorry for the loss of your dear mother.

MerigoldinWA
05-31-2011, 08:23 PM
I've enjoyed reading everyone's stories! :hug: I don't remember learning. I basically have a bad memory all around, not selective to this. :lol: A girlfriend taught me in high school probably when I was a jr. or sr. so in 1964-66 somewhere. I don't remember anything about it except that it happened. I saw this friend at our 40th reunion and she still knits. I told her I knit too and asked if she remembered that she was the one who first taught me? She didn't. :)

I didn't keep it up after that first exposure. After our our first child was born I learned again when I was about 20-21. I remember I had to walk about a quarter of a mile every time I made a mistake I couldn't figure out. One mistake I remember was learning to do ribbing. I was totally mystified as to why it wasn't working, when I could swear I was doing k1, p1. But I was not moving the yarn back and forth so was getting a terrible mess. :lol:

After that I didn't forget again. I had to learn mostly from books and tried to pick projects that had only 1 new skill in them. Later I moved to where there was a yarn shop whose owner helped me learn a lot, then the internet came along and I've learned more.

RoseFairy
06-01-2011, 01:10 AM
So many interesting stories of how people learning to knit =D So back in Oct. 2007 I was working Part-Time at a Department store and I was talking to a woman when I saw a knitted sweater. I pointed to it and told her I had always wanted to learn how to knit. Well, turns out she knew how to knit. She offered to teach me and so for the next week when we had breaks she taught me how to cast on, knit, purl, and cast off. After that everything was learned from the internet.

I still have the swatches from when I was being taught to knit, both a garter swatch and a stockinette swatch.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5061/5785193728_87d8453f26_b.jpg

Both swatches are from the 1st week when I just started learning how to knit. In fact the garter swatch is my learning swatch, the stockinette one came right after.

saracidaltendencies
06-01-2011, 01:07 PM
I started knitting in 2005. I don't know why, exactly, just one day I decided I wanted to learn to knit. Actually, I think it stemmed from wanting specific styles for my kids and not being able to find what I wanted so I figured I'd learn to knit...My mom and dad got me my very first set of needles and skein of yarn, along with the Stitch N Bitch book for Christmas in 2005...I remember sitting in bed every night with a lamp attached to the headboard and reading SnB from page one with needles and yarn at the ready...I got along OK with garter but for some reason I just couldn't get the hang of purling...That's when I found this site...I swear, if not for Amy's videos on here I probably would have cut up my skein of yarn and broken my needles :teehee:. Once I got the hang of the knit AND purl stitches, I swatched like crazy just to get used to the stitches. Once I got more comfortable with that I practiced mistakes...I'd intentionally make "mistakes" on my swatches just so I could get used to correcting them...It probably took me a lot longer to learn certain techniques than really necessary, but, it really worked for me because by the time I actually got to a project I was totally confident...Confident doesn't mean neat though! :teehee: My first scarf looks like CRAP! The stitches are way too loose and the knitting is just all around sloppy lookin'...My daughter asked if she could have it as soon as I finished it and surprisingly, she still loves that hideous thing!

ShanaHoo
06-02-2011, 07:18 PM
The first time I attempted to learn how to knit was during fall exams my third year of college (sooo, 3 years-ish). I am a very productive procrastinator. I went to Michaels at 8pm the night before an exam and bought a booklet and a set of needles (I had already been crocheting for over 10 years and had plenty of yarn in my stash). Unfortunately, I couldn't make any sense of the book and went back to studying after a couple of days (not soon enough to save my physics exam grade, I'm afraid).

A few months later, during the next semester's finals, I decided to try again. That's when I found this website and videos of continental knitting! Been hooked ever since. I used to have a box of my practice swatches, but I think I tossed them when we moved.

SandsLVT
06-03-2011, 06:02 AM
My mom has been knitting for as long as I can remember and she tried to teach me when I was younger, but I couldn't get the hang of it. It wasn't until late February or early March of last year when a good friend had posted photos of her finished Dead Fish Hats on Facebook. I thought they were so cool and decided to teach myself how to knit so I could make one. I bought a beginner kit and a skein or 2 of yarn and found this site when I Googled videos on how to knit. I don't have my first swatches because I frogged them all for projects, but I do remember that the stitches were a bit uneven. I tried to learn Continental based on advice on the 'net, but it just didn't feel right to me. English is much easier and, like a previous poster, I also hold the yarn wrapped around my middle finger vs. my index finger.

My first project was a pair of ribbed wrist bands I gave to my sister. She loved them! I've since made several hats, a couple of scarves, a few felted purses, and a couple more pairs of wrist warmers. I'm now working on my first intarsia project--a baby blanket--and my first sweater--a Central Park Hoodie. Once those are finished, I'm going to teach myself two-at-a-time socks.

I still haven't made myself a Dead Fish Hat but I'll get there eventually!

RoseFairy
06-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Confident doesn't mean neat though! :teehee: My first scarf looks like CRAP! The stitches are way too loose and the knitting is just all around sloppy lookin'...My daughter asked if she could have it as soon as I finished it and surprisingly, she still loves that hideous thing!

Awww... I think it's sweet that your daughter claimed your first project and that she still loves it. My first project was a boucle scarf that my mom claimed and has gone missing. I do however have the one I made myself (that I only finished last year due to many distractions) that looks just like it.

Once those are finished, I'm going to teach myself two-at-a-time socks.

I still haven't made myself a Dead Fish Hat but I'll get there eventually!

Isn't that always how it is? I keep telling myself that I will make some 2-at-a-time socks after I finish my current projects. Well, I keep finishing projects but I always start something different and have yet to make a single sock. I've done 2aat fingerless gloves though, so at least I have the 2aat part down when I do finally make the socks.

HamsterLover
06-05-2011, 11:53 PM
[/B]I remember it was today and my work looks like CRAP so if anyone has ANY IDEA what I can knit as a new knitter please tell me!!

:muah: ________________________
STILL LOVIN HAMSTERS!!!!

HamsterLover
06-05-2011, 11:57 PM
[QUOTE=HamsterLover;1323544][/B]I remember it was today and my work looks like CRAP so if anyone has ANY IDEA what I can knit as a new knitter please tell me!!

:muah: ________________________
STILL LOVIN HAMSTERS!!!![/QUOTES/

sorry about the [/B] thing :muah:

RoseFairy
06-06-2011, 12:19 AM
I remember it was today and my work looks like CRAP so if anyone has ANY IDEA what I can knit as a new knitter please tell me!!

Most new knitters' works aren't that neat and even so don't worry about it looking like crap. As for what you can knit, the standard is a garter st scarf to get knit stitches down. Dishclothes are also standard beginner items, but really it's up to you what you want to knit.

suzeeq
06-06-2011, 09:13 AM
You just started today right... Give yourself a week or so of practice. We all had uneven sts or holes or something, and the more you knit, the better it looks. What would you like to knit? If you knit something you want, you'll be more likely to see it through than just something to do because it's supposed to be 'the next step' or whatever.

NorthernIrelandKnitter
06-07-2011, 03:48 AM
I think I was about 8 when my mother taught me and 2 of my siblings to knit, using toffee apple sticks - she had those in abundance - and string. We were so proud of our finished articles that we stuck them on the wall just inside the front door for our father to see and admire when he came in from work. He responded very suitably - 'What are these lovely things? Who made these?' or words to that effect.

At first our mother cast on for us and just had us doing garter stitch. I'm not sure when we advanced to the purl stitch, but I eventually got frustrated with having to wait for my mother to cast on for me, so she taught me how to do it.

Our projects at first were small and simple - dolls' clothes, kettle holders - I made one for my grandmother, who was thrilled - and tea cosies, but our mother eventually allowed us to progress to knitting something for myself, although by that time my older brother had given up knitting.

Those early projects are gone now and I don't remember how they looked, but they probably weren't wonderful as my mother used to say my knitting was too loose.

I wish I'd asked her when she was alive who taught her to knit - her own mother didn't knit so it probably wasn't her.

Gillian

trvvn5
06-07-2011, 01:52 PM
I learned how to knit about 9 years ago. I remember my work being HORRIBLE when I first started. I had no concept of tension. I lost and gained stitches at will. My garter stitch looked like lace when I first started cuz I was so bad.

And yes, every now and again I think about some of the things I've done and I think about how much I SUCKED when I first started and I think, "Wow...I've really come far." I was very proud of myself a few months back when my 54 year old aunt, who has been knitting for longer than I have, came to me and asked me if I could teach her how to do a few things. Very proud moment for me.

Stockinetter
06-07-2011, 11:32 PM
I actually learned this year, and I'm actually better than the person who taught me! :guyknitting: I'm actually working on 5 different projects right now and I'm still sane XD.

fatoldladyinpjs
06-08-2011, 08:44 AM
HamsterLover, just take a ball of yarn you don't care about too much. Knit a practice swatch. Rip it out. Wind the ball up again and keep doing that. I did that a lot when I was trying to practice getting my tension even. I'm doing it now to learn how to do cables. Eventually you get the technique you're practicing right. Knit, rip, wind, repeat.

Danisty
06-20-2011, 03:01 PM
My mom showed me how to knit and purl, but I learned everything else from books and the internet. I started almost 4 years ago when my husband deployed to Iraq. My first project was a basket weave scarf for him and it took me forever because I kept having to fix mistakes. I was also knitting way too tight.

RoseFairy
06-20-2011, 05:49 PM
My mom showed me how to knit and purl, but I learned everything else from books and the internet.

Didn't the books make a whole lot more sense once someone showed you how to knit and purl? I know that when I tried to learn from a book it was super confusing to me. After someone showed me how to knit and purl though it made a whole lot more sense.

Danisty
06-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Didn't the books make a whole lot more sense once someone showed you how to knit and purl? I know that when I tried to learn from a book it was super confusing to me. After someone showed me how to knit and purl though it made a whole lot more sense.Oh yes! I don't think the drawings in those books are very clear at all and it hasn't changed over time either. I have books that belonged to my grandmother (she's 98 if that says anything) and they were pretty bad at explaining things too.

ladyjessica
06-21-2011, 02:37 PM
I learned about 8 years ago while I was recovering from surgery. I took a class at the LYS and my first project was a sampler scarf that had a bunch of different patterns. It seemed like a pain at the time but I'm glad that I learned with that project because it taught me how to read a pattern and do cables and 'read my knitting' right from the start. My first attempts were awkward but as I got used to it things improved. I remember the teacher telling me that I was a natural, and I picked it up fairly quickly. I do still have the scarf somewhere but I never wear it because I made it way too long, and I don't know why I ever picked that particular shade of blue. :)

gramkracka22
07-07-2011, 03:06 AM
i started today or technically yesterday

i live in the middle of the country with next to nothing to do, seemed like a good way to kill time and can make my self some cool hats while doing it

time flew by today while i made a rectangle over and over

crazykntter83
07-07-2011, 08:46 AM
I was 17 or 18 when I first learned. My Mom taught me how to cast on. She taught me the backwards loop method. Then my Dad taught me the knit stitch. After that, that's all I knew how to do for a few years. But I made a garter stitch blankie and a garter stitch scarf that way. :) And lots and lots of incomplete projects in-between lol. Anyway, in 2008, I found knittinghelp. I tried to learn the purl stitch but couldn't get it. It just confused me(for reasons unknown now lol). But I learned things like k2tog, ssk, yo, and a few more. :) After that, this January, I finally learned purl, so I'm super happy with myself now lol. And I'm still learning new things. :)
The first project that's still around is a garter stitch blankie. You can tell that I had some issues with tension when you look at it. There's like some really loose parts in there in the beginning and middle of it. After that you can see that I'm starting to get the hang of my tension, bc the stitches are a lot tighter. Othen than that I have some dropped stitches that I didn't know how to fix so they're knotted lol. I'll have to see if I can find a pic of it to post. :)

Arielluria
07-07-2011, 11:18 AM
I've always been interested, I have a pic of myself knitting at age 10 (https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-53ljrOc-1r0/SQs2U5ENGQI/AAAAAAAAAk4/cz-lB4cW1_U/s512/Luknits2.jpg)....but I had no help so I simply knit and frogged the same stockinette swatch for years :D I guess that gave me a lot of practice.

I finally took it up seriously in 2007 when I found this site! Yay for KH! I think I was a decent beginner knitter, I still have most of what I knit. I started with dog sweaters (knit flat, not in the round), and when I wanted to make human wearables ;) I make 4 easy ponchos from Lion Brand (2 ea. of the same 2 patterns because after I made for myself my mom wanted one too). The worst part about those early ones was my overly tight seaming, which made the seams look bulky and ugly, but we still wear them around the house and it's nice to be able to wear them out to the garden and not obsess if they catch on a rose thorn or something. They're Red Heart, because that's all I could get at Walmart at the time.

Thanks to KH my knitting advanced by leaps and bounds because I watched videos and realized things were not hard, cables, fair isle (https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--kmxrFSfmhc/SRSgcz-TjJI/AAAAAAAAA5M/L0PvRAXOBRM/IMG_8951_xsm.jpg) (my 2nd dog sweater), etc.

TreshaRuthe
07-07-2011, 08:16 PM
I started teaching myself in the last week, and I know I have tension issues (too tight, now too loose). I know the early pieces will be hideous and nothing to show about but I just keep reminding myself of why I'm learning.

You see, a little over a year ago my Mama (adopted mother figure) passed away after a long battle against lupus and a two year hospitalization. It was her dream to knit me a wedding ring shawl for when my husband and I finally have our wedding. She had even purchased the yarn. Unfortunately, with only the cast on done, hurricane Ike hit and she became very ill. So, in her honor, I will postpone my wedding until I can finish the shawl she started. At the moment I have it all packed away in a space bag under my bed, but whenever I get frustrated I just pull out my first square crochet square and remind myself, that this phase of learning will pass.

Stockinetter
07-07-2011, 10:35 PM
I learned how to knit around February and March this year. A lady at this group I got to taught me. I had a rough start, especially with small plastic needles and tight tension. At that time, I held the yarn as if I was grasping a cup. I learned English style, but I like Continental better.

CeCeKnittingN00b
07-09-2011, 03:57 AM
Let's see. I was a Junior in High School and a girl in my study hall class was knitting. I thought it was cool and decided to take Fashion Design my Senior year in High School. She told me that that class taught you how to knit since one of the projects was to knit a scarf. Wow, my scarf was so crappy, but I still wore it with pride. There were increases, decreases, and dropped stitches all over the place. I'm pretty sure I still have that scarf in my closet somewhere. I was a VERY loose knitter, too.

Olha
07-20-2011, 03:52 AM
My mom first taught me to knit when I was 6 or 7 y.o. I remember making a scarf for my doll, 6 stitches wide cause I didn't want to do too much 'extra work' :). Surprisingly, I even tried knitting on 5 needles and managed a few cirles but that was too hard and I gave up. Fast forward a few decades :)

I started knitting when I got pregnant following my friend's advice as a relaxation technique. Well, let me tell ya, those few weeks of struggling with patterns were more stressful then carrying my first baby :) So I gave up on using patterns... (I can't express how much I admire people who have the discipline to follow them). So, again, I gave up knitting after making two scarfs... A few years passed... and about 6 months ago I decided to start again. My mom gave me tips on the phone and the most useful piece of advice after reading some instructions was 'you will just see'. And that's exactly what happened :). I still have my first scarfs that I made for my husband and myself almost 5 years ago :)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6149/5956919888_39ec1985ec.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6137/5956916638_9d73ec46e5.jpg

Breezed
07-21-2011, 04:21 PM
I started knitting almost a year ago. I looked at my bf one day and said something along the lines of maybe I should learn how to knit, and he was very encouraging and excited. He took me to JoAnns that same afternoon and bought me a beginner's project. It was a terrible instructional dvd, and I kept trying for several days and gave up. I finally went back to it a week later maybe, still hated the DVD so I jumped on youtube and within 10 minutes, I finally understood it. The DVD and many videos online do this stupid method of videoing from the front, where their movements/hands can not be clearly viewed. That is such a waste of time. Anyway, I quickly found KH during my search and watched all the videos several times. I made a cowl for my bf's mother for Xmas 2010. That was my first FO. I know it took me a while to get an FO because I just couldn't settle on a project. I looked at everything, bought yarn, needles, etc and didn't start anything for months. lol But once I did, it was perfect! Can't say the same for much of the projects since then. I do love knitting now but I wish I could do continental better. I keep trying but my coordination is off. I still have issues with tension because regardless of the method I use, I just can't get the yarn wrapped right. I end up doing english throwing but with the yarn hanging and I pick it up each time. I wish I had someone to help me get better but I'm too shy to go to any groups in public.

Arielluria
07-21-2011, 10:32 PM
I'm glad I have a pic of myself knitting as a kid :teehee: I was 10 in this photo but I knit & frogged that same little ball of blue yarn for approximately 6 years :teehee: I would make a little square, put it on my Barbie and wish I could somehow close it and make a mini skirt, but no one to show me how. So I'd frog and start all over again, just plain stockinette.

So I guess I got a lot of practice that way and by the time I took it up seriously almost 30 years later I took right to it. I still have my first scarf (below) and it looks perfect, tension, etc. I can only attribute that to all the practice I got with that little ball of yarn as a kid.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-53ljrOc-1r0/SQs2U5ENGQI/AAAAAAAAAk4/cz-lB4cW1_U/s512/Luknits2.jpg

My first real project 2003, that scarf I winged and also discovered accidentally what garter stitch was, and that it kept the item from curling:https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-OY-6vQPf-vU/SRiqOajrYEI/AAAAAAAAA8w/sy70Te0_Spw/s720/Picture%252520104.jpg

Breezed
07-21-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm glad I have a pic of myself knitting as a kid :teehee: I was 10 in this photo but I knit & frogged that same little ball of blue yarn for approximately 6 years :teehee: I would make a little square, put it on my Barbie and wish I could somehow close it and make a mini skirt, but no one to show me how. So I'd frog and start all over again, just plain stockinette.

So I guess I got a lot of practice that way and by the time I took it up seriously almost 30 years later I took right to it. I still have my first scarf (below) and it looks perfect, tension, etc. I can only attribute that to all the practice I got with that little ball of yarn as a kid.

That's funny you didn't get bored knitting that same little ball. I would have gone mad! And you are right, your first scarf is perfect. It's very pretty, even now.

Arielluria
07-21-2011, 11:06 PM
You can tell by the pillow I had knitting & crochet influences from childhood. I remember being WOWED by those crocheted pillows made by my mom's aunt. One of my aunts made a lot of doillies which I never liked, still don't, but these pillows made me happy.

suzeeq
07-21-2011, 11:24 PM
I did much the same when I was a kid, I was about 14 and taught myself how to knit. I 'borrowed' a couple sticks from my brother's tinkertoys, sharpened them and used my mom's packaging string. I just knit everything that was in the little booklet - knit and purl, maybe decreaes, don't remember. But over and over again. My mom decided if I was so determined to stick with it, she bought a pair of needles and some yarn. Size 5s and worsted weight (no wonder I don't like small needles now!). My first project was a stuffed rabbit out of a booklet, then I made a top down raglan pullover with a cable from another after that with some other needles. In between I practiced on the other patterns with the left over rabbit yarn, just to learn stuff. And I did.

crazykntter83
07-22-2011, 11:31 AM
You can tell by the pillow I had knitting & crochet influences from childhood. I remember being WOWED by those crocheted pillows made by my mom's aunt. One of my aunts made a lot of doillies which I never liked, still don't, but these pillows made me happy.
I remember growing up being kinda influenced by the crocheted or knitted things around me too. We always had some kinda handmade blanket my aunt or one of my grandmothers. I remember always just being fascinated that you could make a lovely blanket out yarn. I still am. :teehee: No one would ever teach me how to knit or crochet, though. Finally, one of my friend's moms attempted to teach me to crochet. I didn't really get it, so I just kinda made my own stitches. Later, after I finally learned to knit, and learned some of the other stitches I got more. Anyway...that's my story. :)

MerigoldinWA
07-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Arielluria, thanks for sharing your great old photo. What a nice thing to have. And your first project is cool. I'm sure you learned a lot working that blue ball of yarn over and over.

sakura-panda
07-22-2011, 09:40 PM
I learned to crochet when I was young, but I only knew what my mom taught me and she didn't know much either. Neither one of us can read a crochet pattern. (Although I'd like to learn, and then teach her. :))

We had a yarn shop open up in my little town -- I'd never heard of such a thing before, but I loved to go inside and walk around and look at all the yarn. When the city had a sort of open house -- it was called "Shopping in da Moonlight" and all the stores were open late, until 9 or 10 pm when they usually close around 7 pm -- and I dragged everyone into the yarn store.

I'd been wanting a knit scarf for a while -- even asked my mom if she could make one, and got a crocheted one in return, which I could have done myself. :eyes: On that night we were the only customers in the store (DH, DS, and DD in the baby carrier) and I had an opportunity to talk to the owner for quite a while, ending with me asking if they had knitting classes. Their latest one had just started, but she offered to teach me herself. I had two sessions with her to start on a scarf for DS.

She said I picked it up pretty fast and she wondered if it was because I was already comfortable with yarn. I didn't have a swatch, since I was making a scarf, and I think I started it over three times before I really figured it out and then I just worked on it for the next year until it was done.

I've since made three scarves -- the first one and two others -- and have yet to make the one for myself. :teehee: The ones that my mom made for me are working pretty well and I'm planning to make one for her as soon as I find a pattern I can stick with (I have had a couple of false starts.)

In the meantime, I have also crocheted two toys for my cat to make him stop stealing the crocheted pot holders my great-aunt gave to me. I think I need to learn how to make a catnip mouse!