PDA

View Full Version : I took the leap!

ArtLady1981
05-31-2011, 07:28 AM
I took THE LEAP! After much research, and thought, I purchased an e-reader from Amazon on Friday! The new generation Kindle (Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 3G Works Globally, Graphite, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology).

Although Amazon has been offering their e-reader versions at a $25 savings, this savings has a hitch: at launch you will see advertisements displayed. The ads won't be visible when you're reading. I opted to pay full price ($189) to avoid ads.

I'm real excited to begin using the Kindle 3! I'm hoping that it will give me decent pdf capability. I'll transfer just one (knitting pattern) pdf to my Kindle as a trial. From what I've read, The KINDLE DX reader gets higher marks for its pdf usefulness, but I don't ask a lot from pdf software. My DROIDX has a pdf reader and it's entirely satisfactory. I've downloaded 50% of my pdf knitting patterns into my Droidx. It's been very handy as quick reference.

The shipping/tracking information from Amazon says delivery is scheduled for today!

I'm real curious how this Kindle 3G connectivity thing works. From what I've read, when I'm out of WiFi range, I can get internet connection via the 3G provided by ATT. Can order e-books from Amazon, or even check email! Is that true? Could I log in at Ravelry and download my pdf library into my Kindle? (I did this to get them into my Droidx)

Another route that can be employed to transfer my knitting pdf's is hooking up the Kindle to my laptop via the USB cable included. That true?

I own about a dozen Kindle books that I've read using my Droidx Kindle app, or my "Kindle for PC" app. (both apps were free!) The KINDLE 3 has a 6" screen...2" larger than my Droidx screen.

The KINDLE DX has a whopper 9.7" screen for about double the price, but that size isn't as portable as I prefer. The latest Kindle will slip into my pocket!

I've read that there are no deposits, no contracts, no monthly fees associated with the 3G + Wifi Kindle, however I can't believe there won't be some restrictions involved. What do you know about it?

Of course, when using either your home network Wifi, or free Wifi at a local hotspot, there would naturally be no restrictions or data limitations. But for the 3G internet connection??? :??

I'm dying to know.

Jan in CA
05-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Congratulations! I can't wait to see how you like it "in person"! I was wondering about the 3G as well. Free just seems to be too good to be true. So just curious what tipped the scales in favor if Kindle over Nook or Nook Color?

BTW... a $25 savings is sooooo no worth it to deal with ads. Are they nuts?

(Oh and I didn't get the iPad2 because we had a bunch of stuff we had to do on the house and with the cost I couldn't justify it at that time. Maybe someday.)

ArtLady1981
05-31-2011, 03:35 PM
I was wondering about the 3G as well. Free just seems to be too good to be true. So just curious what tipped the scales in favor if Kindle over Nook or Nook Color?

Re: Kindle vs Nook: all things pretty much being equal, the decisive factor tipping the scale are the numerous Kindle books that I already own! PLUS: Nook & Nook Color do not offer 3G network models! (am I wrong?)

The Kindle offers both Wifi only and 3G+Wifi! Nook only seems to offer Wifi! (Downer.)

I downloaded the free "Kindle for PC" a little over a year ago (to get my hands on a new book, and didn't feel like adding clutter to my home with another paper book!) Additionally, when I got this Droidx....the built-in "Kindle for Android" whooshed all of my "Kindle for PC" books! No matter which Kindle reader I open, they are synced immediately. Amazon calls this feature "Whispersync". I call it doggone convenient.

I downloaded the Kindle 3 User Guide. It's in my Droidx, but I acquired it using my laptop! (Whispersync at work!) I believe, from what I read, that the second my Kindle 3 is charged and then opened, all of my Kindle books will whoosh right into it, too. I've purchased several over the past year, plus downloaded several free books as well.

In reading the USER GUIDE, I did stumble upon some 3G fees: you will pay a small fee each time you use the 3G network to transfer your personally owned pdf's from laptop to Kindle. This method is essentially asking Amazon to provide the service of electronically delivering "someone else's" pdf's or file to your Kindle. So naturally it would follow there is a fee for the service.

BUT, there is a free workaround offered, too, using the Wifi feature to email yourself with the pdf's or docs, using the dedicated Amazon email address you will, or can, sign up for.

Another free workaround is, of course, attaching your Kindle to your laptop, using the USB enclosed, to "drag-drop" any and all pdf's or files you desire.

All free workarounds are noted in the User Guide, and the workarounds are easy to do.

I doubt that the pdf's I transfer into my Kindle 3 will be Whispersync'd into my two free Kindle apps...the Kindle for PC and Droidx Kindle I think only books and mags purchased directly from Amazon will Whispersync.

Coming very soon the Kindle 3 will have the capability to "borrow" library books for the normal limited amount of time (Nook already offers this feature, a deal breaker in Nook's favor)...so the Kindle had to play catch-up on that score! When you borrow the library book (from your participating local library) you can "write" in the margins, etc....but your notations are not viewable to the next person who "checks out/borrows" the book. And if you check it out again at another time, all of your notations are still there! Aaaaamazing. When this Library Lending feature is available, the UPDATE to your KINDLE will be sent to your Kindle. Just like our Android phones...updates are sent for download. I think the updates are sent over the 3G network from Amazon to my Kindle 3G+Wifi. I don't know what would happen if updates were necessary and I only had Wifi.

Nook Color: it wasn't of prime interest to me as a selling point because pdf and book reading are not color items, and I read that the Color feature draws more battery.

Both Kindle and Nook are awesome pieces of technology, with many satisfied, loyal customers! BTW: I have an Android Nook in my Droidx, too, but I've never used it to download books from B&N because Amazon offers that cool 1-Click purchase feature, with no need to sign in on the Amazon website over and over. Convenient. Quick. Efficient. Whoosh. :wink:

Jeremy
05-31-2011, 04:50 PM
Congratulations!
We love our Kindles.

ArtLady1981
06-01-2011, 04:09 AM
KINDLE 3 arrived. The leather case, too...the new & improved case with the light. (I read that the 1st generation leather cases were interfering with the electronics of the Kindle itself). Anyway, this version is working fine. Amazon fixed their issues. The LED light works off the battery of the Kindle, no need for batteries...and draws very little 'juice' from the Kindle battery. It sure does help! Glad I got it. I was fretting over the added expense. Yeah, I purchased the red case. The Granite Kindle color is, you know...drab...but white would make the page color look drabber...so I went with Granite...and a red case!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51-BEdqBWSL._AA300_.jpg

Anyway, happy to report a few nice things I discovered!

1) So you get a thousand things downloaded into your KINDLE...books, pdf's, etc. So who in the world wants to scroll for days, looking for a book, or a certain pdf?? Well, not to worry. You can create COLLECTIONS and name them...and so if I'm looking for a knitting pdf...I will click my KNIT collection...and this makes them more easily accessible.

Now naturally I'm wondering "Hmmm, can I create Collections within Collections?"
Anyone know offhand???

2) YES! I was able to log in at Ravelry!!! So there ya go! Of course, it is NOT IN COLOR...but, at least it is accessible. I can log in on my email accounts, GOOGLE, etc. Very nice!!! And there is no charge for it. Not being in color will limit how much I use it. But that's ok. It's free, and very readable. Nice for responding to messages etc, if your Droidx is low on, or out of, juice in the high mountains.

3) I highly recommend the leather cover (http://www.amazon.com/Lighted-Leather-Burgundy-Display-Generation/dp/B003DZ166Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1306914727&sr=8-3) with the light. Just this amount of light really perks up the contrast on the page! I might use it all the time. My eyes really thanked me. BTW: It does not create glare, being specially made to illuminate the Kindle page. There is another style case that takes a different kind of light that is clipped on. Seems kind of cumbersome and annoying. This light (below) just pulls out of the top right corner, and when you pull it out far enough it "clicks" into position and turns itself on. How convenient and tidy!

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/kindle/shasta/covers/images/cover_light_extension_sequence.jpg

4) The drag-drop thing was smooth. First time I connected my Kindle to my laptop via the USB cord enclosed, the software loaded up real quick, recognizing my Kindle. And the drag-drop thing was easy. Amazingly fast! You can drag-drop music to the 'music' folder...and all pdf's and docs are dragged to the 'documents' folder...and whoosh. They appear in your KINDLE as soon as you eject the KINDLE from your laptop on the computer's end. You don't yank it out of your KINDLE. You must play nice.

5) The USB cord also has a AC adapter that allows you to plug your KINDLE into the wall...and if you pull off the AC adapter head...it exposes the USB connector...and you plug that into your laptop. Kinda nice that one cord can be used for two functions.

Thought you might like to know that I am very impressed with the EASE at which I was able to become adapted to navigating the Kindle. I thought I'd have more trouble.

One thing...if you have access to any device (like a Droid) that can get the USER GUIDE from Amazon...it really helps to read the USER GUIDE on your Droid, while you are working out a solution on the KINDLE. I mean...how can you 'read' the USER GUIDE remedy at the same time you're trying to (for example) follow steps 1-5 for setting up a "COLLECTION"? Kinda inconvenient. You'd have to have a split screen!

So, do yourself a favor. Get on your Droid (or other smartphone), go to Amazon.com and fetch the USER GUIDE into your (Android or other) Kindle app. Then you can open both the Kindles when you're a newbie trying to do this and that! :wink: Follow me?

I had read someone comment on that very issue.

6) My KINDLE 3 arrived with the 3.1 update pre-installed. One of the cool features in the recent update is this: the REAL PAGE NUMBERS (corresponding to the hard copy paper & ink book) appear at the bottom of the Kindle page, too! (You have to press MENU to bring up the page number at the bottom of the page) So now when you are talking to someone who has the hard copy book...you both have a point of reference with the real page numbers! Yay!!! This has been a long time a'comin' if you ask me!

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/kindle/shasta/covers/images/cover_lighted_lifestyle2.jpg

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/kindle/shasta/covers/images/cover_lighted_handheld.jpg

Now doggone it...I'm going to bed to read!
I've read internet testimonies that this light doesn't disturb the partner laying next to you, snoring! :teehee:

Jan in CA
06-01-2011, 11:58 AM
That sounds great! Your reviews are always so clear and thorough! Thanks! And I KNEW you'd get a red leather cover! :lol: I like that, too. :thumbsup:

I really like the size and weight of it so it's very tempting! I like the touch screen of the iPad and Nook Color and the fact that you can have some apps, but I like the weight of the Kindle for reading.

Can you do markup on PDFs btw? That would require a touch screen I suppose... :think:

ArtLady1981
06-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Can you do markup on PDFs btw?
What are 'markups'? Do you mean underlining? Writing in margins? I'll google the term...

ETA: no, you can't do pdf markups in the truest definition. No yellow highlighting, etc. But you can underline and add notes, etc. Out of the box you can can just read the pdf in its original format. However, if you email your pdf to your email address at Amazon and include the word CONVERT in the subject line, Amazon will wifi you a converted-to-Kindle-format version, which allows some manipulation, such as font changes, etc, underling, notes, etc. I don't think you have to pay a fee for "conversion" if you avoid 3G delivery to your Kindle and go wifi instead. The USER GUIDE supplies a clear explanation about free workarounds. You can read the USER GUIDE at Amazon,.and even download it, before purchase which is nice! If a person doesn't have access to a wifi connection, you can still retrieve your converted pdf via your home email address I think. Not sure on all steps, but tedd some language to that effect.

I believe the latest generation of the KINDLE DX has a more sophisticated version of pdf handling. I didn't research too far on that though, but read comments about it being more user versatile.

The KINDLE DX is a 9.7" screen, and runs $379.
KINDLE 3 is a 6", and runs $189 w/o advertisements.

Jan in CA
06-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Okay, thanks. I know the iPad has that ability which is very cool. You use a stylus and can make marks for row counts or whatever. I am so used to using a touch screen that it kind of holds me back from the Kindle. I'll have to do some more research, but your review helped a lot.

BTW - On my iPhone I can turn pages by swiping the screen..how's it work on Kindle?

Antares
06-01-2011, 01:09 PM
You high-tech ladies are awesome!

HOWEVER, I'll stick with my print books and print-outs of patterns. That way, when the electricity goes off, I can still read and knit and crochet.

I just love the feel of holding a book in my hands, and since I'm a papercrafter, too, I love paper. Besides, since the only things I really collect are books and dust (and both seem to need each other so much), why would I break up that happy union?

Wanda Witch
06-01-2011, 01:22 PM
You high-tech ladies are awesome!

HOWEVER, I'll stick with my print books and print-outs of patterns. That way, when the electricity goes off, I can still read and knit and crochet.

I just love the feel of holding a book in my hands, and since I'm a papercrafter, too, I love paper. Besides, since the only things I really collect are books and dust (and both seem to need each other so much), why would I break up that happy union?

Am I relieved to read Antares comments. And here I was thinking I was the only one in the world who is technologically impaired. I marvel I can even use one of 'these' things. :teehee:

I also collect book, and yes the accompanying dust and fear we are running out of space to store them. Maybe this old pooch will be forced to learn a few new tricks? I'll think about it :wink: and yes, I am envious of those of you who are high tech. :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
06-01-2011, 01:35 PM
I LOVE technology and gadgets..the more the better. :lol: I will say that I also have a ton of books and still purchase them. I am reading a series on my iPhone now because the first one was free and I liked it so much I checked the rest and they were only $2.99 on my Kindle app! So I got them.

Why do I like reading on my Kindle app...it's portable so I always have my book with me. I can highlight a word I don't know and get a definition. I can search through the book for someones name or whatever if I forgot who they were. It's so cool! ;)

Wanda Witch
06-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Jan, you are tempting me with your comments. I like gadgets of all sorts also when I can figure them out. Who knows, maybe I am not too old to learn? Taught myself how to use a computer. :wink:

Antares
06-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Am I relieved to read Antares comments. And here I was thinking I was the only one in the world who is technologically impaired. I marvel I can even use one of 'these' things. :teehee:

I also collect book, and yes the accompanying dust and fear we are running out of space to store them. Maybe this old pooch will be forced to learn a few new tricks? I'll think about it :wink: and yes, I am envious of those of you who are high tech. :thumbsup:

Well, I tend to be somewhat "high-tech" in other areas, but I guess my old-fashioned views show through in the book/paper area. In addition to my beloved books, I have loads and loads of old letters from friends and family members that I like to look back through. Somehow looking at old e-mails just isn't the same.

To each their own, I guess!!!

ArtLady1981
06-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Okay, thanks. I know the iPad has that ability which is very cool. You use a stylus and can make marks for row counts or whatever. I am so used to using a touch screen that it kind of holds me back from the Kindle. I'll have to do some more research, but your review helped a lot.

BTW - On my iPhone I can turn pages by swiping the screen..how's it work on Kindle?

The NOOK 'swipes'.

The Kindle has a page turner. The screen is not a touch screen at all. I purchased the Kindle for reading purposes. I didn't purchase it to use as a working pdf reader, however it's a great bonus to be able to have my knitting pdf's in there for informational reasons. Really, I use a paper printout of my pdf's 'to work with'...and my knitting notebook. All still "paper & ink" for sure!

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/kindle/dtcp/so-dp-screensaver-3x._V179087231_.jpg
See where her index finger is? That is the "turn one page back" button. See where her thumb is? That is the "turn the page over" button. These two "page turners" are located on both the left edge and right right edge, so if you are left-handed you are more comfortable.

It is amazingly responsive.

My Droidx Kindle is a "swipe" model cuz my Droidx is a touch screen. It's nice too. I am surprised how easily I adapted to the "page turners" feature. I'm so engrossed in the reading I barely notice how the pages turn. I'm just glad they do!

For sure, the iPad is it's own wonderful piece of technology! If you need the iPad for its multiple functions, it's nice that it can double as an e-reader. Kinda like my Droidx also doubles as a bare-bones e-reader. BUT, it's a battery hog. I could not read books on my Droidx for 3500 hours without re-charging, nor on the iPad. So that's why the Kindle (and Nook) are superior as dedicated e-readers. If you are a serious reader...the Kindle is your baby!

When I'm isolated up in the mountains...I like to read at night...and I cannot be sucking my Droidx dry. Powering it back up is sometimes not possible when I need to! We have a generator, but it's not always running...and husband is out of camp with his truck most of the day...working in the forest...pulling logs he's cut down with his truck and Warn winch...and so the car charger is out of my reach, too! :wall:

Anyway, I just "converted" a knitting pdf to Kindle format! (for free!) It is wonderful!
I'm able to highlight and make notes within the pdf. And change the font, etc. It is NOT like opening the pdf with Adobe X...but it's fine and very readable.

I wish I knew how extensively the KINDLE DX handles pdf's. :think: For $379 it should do much more you'd think!

Doublereeder2
06-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Cool!!!

I love, love, love my Kindle. There are always new free books on Amazon too :happydance:
A battery saving tip - turn off the 3G when you are at home or not needing to download. It uses the wireless in your house even if the 3G is turned on.

ArtLady1981
06-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Cool!!!

I love, love, love my Kindle. There are always new free books on Amazon too :happydance:
A battery saving tip - turn off the 3G when you are at home or not needing to download. It uses the wireless in your house even if the 3G is turned on.

I don't see how to specifically turn off the 3G specifically but I do see how to turn off the Wifi. (which I do) When I turn off the Wifi...the 3G disappears with it. I guess it's interconnected?

I don't use Wifi in my home. My laptop is dedicated to the Ethernet thing. I could turn on the Wifi of my modem...but never did. My reasoning was: I wouldn't use the laptop anywhere but here in my office. I use the Droidx everywhere else in the house.

PLUS....I don't know how to turn on my home Wifi, and set up the security for it. :wall:

I guess I should call my carrier about it.

ArtLady1981
06-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Here's what Amazon says about the KINDLE DX pdf capability:

Built-In PDF Reader
Unload the loose documents from your briefcase or backpack, and put them all on Kindle. From neighborhood newsletters to financial statements to case studies and product manuals--you can take them all with you on Kindle DX. Native PDF support allows you to carry and read all of your personal and professional documents on the go. Zoom into any area of a PDF up to 300% and pan around to more easily view small print and detailed tables and graphics. With Amazon's Whispernet service, you can send your documents directly to your Kindle DX and read them anytime, anywhere. Some features such as annotations and read-to-me are not currently supported for PDF. You also have the option to have your PDF document converted to the Kindle format so that it reflows.

:?? I dunno what all that means in terms of comparing the Kindle 3 to the Kindle DX. They seem just about the same with the exception of the much larger screen on the DX.

Something I DO LIKE about the Kindle DX is that it 'auto-rotates' back and forth between portrait view and landscape view if you tip it this way or that. The Kindle 3 doesn't automatically rotate. You can re-set it (easily) for landscape...but you have to take that step. :pout: I'm spoiled, I know....

ArtLady1981
06-01-2011, 04:52 PM
KINDLE 3 ( 7.5" x 4.8" x 0.335") http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/kindle/shasta/photos/kindle-drk-trans-comparison._V188700473_.png

KINDLE DX (10.4" x 7.2" x 0.38") http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/kindle/shasta/photos/kindle-dx-drk-trans-comparison._V188700477_.png

So automatically, the pdf experience is going to be better.
But, at the greater ($379) cost.

Still....that's better than $829 for the 64GB ipad with 3G+Wifi connectivity. Drool. :drool:

It's all about "what ya want and what ya need". You pays to play. :wink:

Jan in CA
06-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Interesting. I think if I was going to go larger than the 6" it makes sense to just get the iPad if one can afford it. What is appealing to me with the kindle is the small size and that it's lightweight.

That's funny that it doesn't auto rotate like the app does. I have mine locked in portrait most of the time which is nice.

ArtLady1981
06-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Interesting. I think if I was going to go larger than the 6" it makes sense to just get the iPad if one can afford it. What is appealing to me with the kindle is the small size and that it's lightweight.

That's funny that it doesn't auto rotate like the app does. I have mine locked in portrait most of the time which is nice.

Yeah, same here: I like the smaller portable size, the thousands of hours of reading on one charge, and the affordable price of $189 with free 3G + Wifi.

As I said, the Droidx Kindle reader very quickly sucks my battery dry.... and I'll bet the ipad e-reader function would suck that battery dry very quickly as well. Both are really only good for occasional reading when not "tied to" the AC outlet or car charger!

Jan in CA
06-01-2011, 06:27 PM
I can read all day with my iPhone. I've been reading a lot today and it's down to 43% so plenty of juice really till I plug it in tonight. Unless I play Bejeweled...that really sucks the life out of it!

Doublereeder2
06-02-2011, 08:44 AM
I don't see how to specifically turn off the 3G specifically but I do see how to turn off the Wifi. (which I do) When I turn off the Wifi...the 3G disappears with it. I guess it's interconnected?

I don't use Wifi in my home. My laptop is dedicated to the Ethernet thing. I could turn on the Wifi of my modem...but never did. My reasoning was: I wouldn't use the laptop anywhere but here in my office. I use the Droidx everywhere else in the house.

PLUS....I don't know how to turn on my home Wifi, and set up the security for it. :wall:

I guess I should call my carrier about it.

Yes, that's it. I love wireless in the house - I can sit on the sofa and type this on the laptop. Much better than firing up the desktop in the office ;)
It is not hard to set up wireless in your house if you have the hardware for it. Do you have a router?

ArtLady1981
06-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Yes, that's it. I love wireless in the house - I can sit on the sofa and type this on the laptop. Much better than firing up the desktop in the office ;)
It is not hard to set up wireless in your house if you have the hardware for it. Do you have a router?

Well, I think that thing sitting on my desk is a router. Not sure. It is a modem for sure...but not certain if it's also a router. Doh.

The 7 little lights on it (some are green, some are 'off') are:
power, 4 ethernet, 1-wireless, 1-USB, 1-DSL, 1-INTERNET.

The power light is green, 2-ethernets are green, 1-DSL is green, and 1-INTERNET is green.

The wireless light is 'off' or dark. Does the fact that it has a wireless light mean that the unit will transmit wireless inside my home?

I seem to remember my ISP telling me how to turn it on, or set it up. Doh. :wall:

Jan in CA
06-02-2011, 05:22 PM
I have a modem and a router. The modem connects the cable to my computer so I can access the internet. The router allows me to use laptops and other gadgets that connect the internet wirelessly. As far as I know they are two different things. I'm no tech person so that's all I can tell you.

Do you have a desktop as well as a laptop?

ArtLady1981
06-02-2011, 05:33 PM
No, I quit using desktop computers altogether. I have a 17" laptop in front of me and a 15" laptop to my right. This size of laptop are considered desktop replacements. I take them with me to the mountains, too. I may, or may not, use them...but I take them. If only to have them in my safe possession in case of a burglary. If I could, I'd take my big screen HD-TV's, too! :teehee:

bambi
06-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Congratulations! I just took the leap, too, Dollyce and got mine yesterday. I have been playing with it and downloading just free books so far. I am finding it easier to research books with my Amazon account and download them from there than trying to research them with the Kindle.

Apparently, it will download PDFs from my computer, too so I will be interested to see how patterns look....Will have to figure that out soon.

I am looking forward to library lending coming in October!

Having fun so far. Hope you are, too. :muah:

ArtLady1981
06-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Apparently, it will download PDFs from my computer, too so I will be interested to see how patterns look....Will have to figure that out soon.
CONGRATS to you, too!!

I assume you prolly purchased the Kindle 3...not the Kindle DX?
The Kindle DX is $389...the Kindle 3 with 3G+Wifi is $189...and $164 with advertisements.

Anyway, yes...you connect your Kindle to your computer using the white USB cable. Your computer will take a minute to 'recognize' the software. Then OPEN FILES to view. It will present you with 3 or 4 folders in the Kindle window. You will then drag-drop your pdf's from your computer into the Kindle 'documents' folder.

Then eject the Kindle.

Then re-open your Kindle to HOME and you will see your pdf's!

HOWEVER, they are in the original pdf form And you cannot enlarge the type much. Some of them are very difficult to read. You can enlarge portions of a page...but not the entire page. It will enlarge 4 quadrants, but not two side-by-side. One at a time. So you can't read an entire sentence without readjusting the quadrant enlargement. It's rather inconvenient.

The best way to read and view your pdf's is to CONVERT them to the Kindle format. The USER GUIDE will tell you how to accomplish this. There are a couple of methods you can take. The converted pdf's are great.

offgridgirl
06-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Good for you! Glad you are enjoying the experience!!

Yes there are 3G nooks! I didn't like all the buttons on the Kindle so that's why I got the Nook. It also reads all formats so that I can read my friend's book who uses her own s/w. The new nook I think has a better web access reader than mine but it works if I want to go on line. I do download books from my Wifi connection and it works great. I can transfer books and etc back and forth between my laptop to the nook or read on my laptop.

Jan in CA
06-03-2011, 01:26 PM
I think I read somewhere that the Nooks discontinued the 3G capability. Not sure where I saw that...:think:

Breezed
06-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Congrats and welcome to the Kindle lovers club. I LOVE my kindle, and I wouldn't use anything else.

Breezed
06-03-2011, 07:52 PM
ArtLady - I have the same cover but in blue. I love it as well, and use it every night. I find it's a lot easier on my eyes than my bedside lamp. None of the other light accessories are worth a darn and I kept buying/trying, and returning.

fatoldladyinpjs
06-04-2011, 08:40 AM
As for paper patterns and electricity black outs. That's what batteries are for. We had a tornado in April and the power was out for several hours. I still was able to keep up with the weather updates because of the batteries in my laptop. I was able to connect online to my local radio station via live streaming and get the latest conditions and warnings. As long as their charged up, the Kindle should be just fine.

I don't think you'll have to worry too much about WiFi connections. These days almost everybody has them. We have them in hotels, restaurants, cafes, my store where I work, the laundromat, and even my bus that I ride back and forth to work has WiFi now. It's a sign of the times. I love instant access to everything. Much better than the way it used to be done 40 years ago when I was a kid.

Doublereeder2
06-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Well, I think that thing sitting on my desk is a router. Not sure. It is a modem for sure...but not certain if it's also a router. Doh.

The 7 little lights on it (some are green, some are 'off') are:
power, 4 ethernet, 1-wireless, 1-USB, 1-DSL, 1-INTERNET.

The power light is green, 2-ethernets are green, 1-DSL is green, and 1-INTERNET is green.

The wireless light is 'off' or dark. Does the fact that it has a wireless light mean that the unit will transmit wireless inside my home?

I seem to remember my ISP telling me how to turn it on, or set it up. Doh. :wall:

You should be able to get wireless with what you are describing. Call your tech support and have them walk you through it. Or have someone come out. You'll never be tethered to the ethernet cable again!

ArtLady1981
06-04-2011, 08:52 PM
I think I read somewhere that the Nooks discontinued the 3G capability. Not sure where I saw that...:think:

When I read and read, and researched and researched the NOOK...I couldn't find a bit of language that said 3G network is included. Just Wifi. :shrug:

offgridgirl
06-04-2011, 09:46 PM
NOok 1st addition, which I have. But I believe they have discontinued their contract with At&t. For the most part I use the Wifi or I take it too BN store and surf or download there....

5. Does the NOOK wireless work everywhere?

Your NOOK 3G + Wi-Fi can connect to B&N Fast & Free Wireless networks in the United States. These networks are AT&T cellular data networks that are widely available. Your NOOK cannot connect to other cellular data networks in the United States. It cannot connect to any international cellular data networks, including those in Canada and Mexico.

However, Wi-FiŽ connectivity on your NOOK 3G + Wi-Fi or your NOOK Wi-Fi is possible globally. In areas without B&N Fast & Free Wireless coverage, you can rely on Wi-FiŽ to connect.

Jan in CA
08-29-2011, 12:43 AM
Dollyce, have a question.. I am ordering a Kindle this week and I'm wondering about the lighted cover. Is it heavy..or does it feel heavy? Part of the attraction of a Kindle is the light weight. How often do you use the light? I tend to only read with a light on, but I don't want to limit myself either.

BTW...I am getting the one with the ads. I have a friend who got it and she said they aren't a problem. You only see it as a screensaver or on the main page. Never when reading.

ArtLady1981
08-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Dollyce, have a question.. I am ordering a Kindle this week and I'm wondering about the lighted cover. Is it heavy..or does it feel heavy? Part of the attraction of a Kindle is the light weight. How often do you use the light? I tend to only read with a light on, but I don't want to limit myself either.

BTW...I am getting the one with the ads. I have a friend who got it and she said they aren't a problem. You only see it as a screensaver or on the main page. Never when reading.

I LOVE THE LIGHTED COVER! Jan, you'll regret it if you don't get the lighted leather cover. It feels the same as a paperback book, but prolly not as thick! The lighted leather cover is perfect for nighttime reading (or dimly-lit-room reading)! I wouldn't be without it! Plus, it provides perfect protection for my Kindle! I can toss it into any bag without a worry or care!

It truly WORKS and it isn't a battery drain! I use it more often than not. Improper lighting is my pet peeve, whether reading or knitting!

This is the Kindle cover that I have; here (http://www.amazon.com/Lighted-Leather-Burgundy-Display-Generation/dp/B003DZ166Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314647219&sr=8-2)is the link for more views.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51-BEdqBWSL._AA300_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41a3-zaysoL._AA300_.jpg

Jan in CA
08-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Thank you, Dollyce! That's the cover I want and in fact I want the red one. :teehee: Can't wait to order and get it! Mailman stalking will be begin soon! :cheering:

ArtLady1981
08-29-2011, 05:24 PM
I've read many online comments from folks who have purchased the 'other' covers, and 'other' lighting mechanisms. They are all unsatisfactory, and a waste of money, when you consider this new lighted leather cover. I feel so fortunate that it was available when I got my Kindle. I read ALL THE COMMENTS on Amazon, too. That's where I stumbled across various grumblings and gripes. But not about this cover, even though it's a few more dollars upfront. I hope you get your Kindle with the 3G plus wifi capability. It's really handy. You'll find out.

Jan in CA
08-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Yes, I did order the 3G/Wifi AND the red lighted cover! Woohoo! :cheering: Got free shipping so I have to wait now... :zombie:

ArtLady1981
08-30-2011, 12:11 AM
Yes, I did order the 3G/Wifi AND the red lighted cover! Woohoo! :cheering: Got free shipping so I have to wait now... :zombie:

The 3G is powered thru AT&T, and is really free! I've found it very convenient on numerous occasions! I turn the wireless 3G connectivity to OFF when I'm in the mountains and "electricity" is not available. As your tutorial will tell you, turning the wireless OFF saves on battery. Important when you can't "plug in and recharge" often. I bought a car charger thru Amazon, too, for our "off the grid" mountain trips.

Jan in CA
08-31-2011, 08:27 PM
It was shipped and is supposed to be here Saturday! Woohoo!:yay:

Jan in CA
09-03-2011, 03:40 PM
So my Kindle is at my local post office and it doesn't say out for delivery yet! Ahhh! It better be out for delivery! I don't want to have to wait till after the holiday! I need my technology fix!!! :lol:

Jan in CA
09-03-2011, 08:13 PM
It's here now and charging. Gonna take a little time to learn it all, but the basic reading part is easy peasy. :thumbsup: