PDA

View Full Version : Question re: k3tog

okckwilter
06-04-2011, 11:41 AM
I've just started this Acorn Doll Blanket:
http://phoebeontheroad.blogspot.com/2010/06/acorn-doll-blanket.html
I'm using Caron Simply Soft yarn, size 8 needles.

I'm on row 3 which reads: k4, *yo, k3tog, yo, k3* repeat to last 4 sts, k4.

My question has to do with the k3tog. I know how to do it but find it EXTREMELY difficult! Do you suppose using slip 1, k2 tog, psso, would give the same effect? Or can you think of another option that would work? I'm giving my idea a try but am hoping your opinions will save the trial-and-effort time!

Thanks!

salmonmac
06-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Slip 1, k2 tog, psso will work but it will look different from k3tog. As long as you do all the decreases the same way, it should be fine.

suzeeq
06-04-2011, 01:21 PM
It''s not the same, k3tog leans to the L, sk2p has the top stitch leaning left and it won't gather up the sts quite the same way. You can try it and see how it looks though. What helps is - don't knit tight, or take the point of the R needle and wiggle it into the sts from r to l to loosen them, then knit 3tog. You could try sssk (like ssk only with 3 sts) and while that would lean opposite the k3tog, it would squish the sts up like it, and if you did it for all of them could work better than sk2p.

okckwilter
06-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the input, Sue and salmonmac. I do want to come up with something that will give the same effect as the k3tog. I've already started over three times on this! For a simple stitch, I sure did have a hard time getting started and my first rows are on the tight side. I'll try your ideas, Sue. Thanks!

suzeeq
06-04-2011, 04:09 PM
You might want to go up a needle size, that may help and would be fine for a blanket.