PDA

View Full Version : Question about curling scarf?

Stardust12706
07-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Hello all! Looooooong time since I've been on here.

So, to update myself, I just began t knit a Ravenclaw scarf a few days ago. It looks like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51jESa3914L._SL500_AA300_.jpg (without the crest). I've gotten about 1 1/2 feet done so far, but the scarf has curled on the bottom, and continues to curl on the sides. I fear that I made the stitches too tight, but even if I make the stitches looser in the next rows, it continues to curl.

Anyone know what happened? I'm using basic yarn with size 1 needles. And I'm using both a knit and purl stitch.

Thank you!
-Martina

Jan in CA
07-16-2011, 12:39 AM
Stockinette curls unless you put borders on all the edges or knit it in the round. It's the nature of the stitch and there isn't really anything you can do about it. If you don't want it to curl you'll probably have to restart it. Sorry!

Here are some free Harry Potter scarves that are knit in the round. You need more yarn, but it's worth not to have it curl.
http://web.archive.org/web/20080615145734/http://knit.atypically.net/scarves/hogwarts/pattern.shtml

ArtLady1981
07-16-2011, 01:48 AM
I agree with Jan, however I'd like to add one thing: sometimes, even IF you add a border, the scarf will still curl. The border has to be powerful to overcome the st st 'curling' stubborness.

I wore a lacey scarf today, and the 3 stitch border didn't prevent it from rolling in on itself. Sigh.
There was just enough st st inside the border...and rollllllll it did!

suzeeq
07-16-2011, 09:58 AM
What weight yarn are you using? Size 1 needles is what you'd knit socks with which need to be dense, so if you're using anything heavier than laceweight that's much too small for the yarn. Tight dense sts will also curl. I suggest going way up on the needle, maybe a size larger than is shown on the yarn label, then do at least 6 rows of garter stitch after the cast on and 4-5 sts in garter at the beginning and end of the rows.

Stardust12706
07-16-2011, 10:55 PM
@Jan- What kind of borders would you be talking about? Sorry, not that experienced when it comes to knitting, so I've never heard about putting boarders on scarves :B

@ArtLady- Sorry to hear about your scarf! You'd think that something like lace wouldn't curl!

@suzeeq- Ah, this might be a solution to my problem. It says that my yarn is a size 4, or medium. I recently read somewhere that the size of the needles made the stitches smaller or larger, but maybe that wouldn't work with this yarn and small needles? I have, I think, size 4 or 5 needles lying around somewhere, so maybe I can start over since it wouldn't take me that long to get there I am now with the scarf.

Thanks all for the replies! Much appreciated, and it really helped!

Jan in CA
07-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Look on the skein and see what needle size is recommended. A medium weight yarn is usually a 7 or 8. If you're a very loose knitting you might be able to get away with a 5 or 6, but anything smaller will make the fabric pretty dense.

Any non curling stitch such as garter or seed stitch are good for borders. I wouldn't do anything less than 5 or 6 garter ridges...Since each garter ridge is 2 rows that would be 10 or 12 extra stitches on each side. That's no guarantee it won't still curl a bit, but it may help.

I've added 10 extra rows to sweater borders and they still want to curl..or more accurately fold over on the edge of the garter stitches. Personally if I were to make one I think I'd do it in the round. I will make it double thick though so that may not be what you want.

suzeeq
07-16-2011, 11:12 PM
Are you talking sizes in mm or US sizes? A 4 or 5 is still too small, unless that's a 5mm, which is the same as a US 8. But for a scarf you can go much larger, up to a US 10, or 6mm. Too small a needle will make tight stitches and contribute to curling.

Stardust12706
07-16-2011, 11:38 PM
@Jan- The label shows a tiny ball of yarn and its label says "4". Above that, it says "Medium". I'm rather sure that it's the standard yarn size, correct? Also, just found my 8 US/5.0mm needles, so I think I'm going to start over with those. And thank you very much for the tips on the borders! I'll definitely try that out!

@suzeeq- Just found those exact needles! I guess I should have looked for thinner yarn if I wanted smaller stitches, but oh well. These new needles should prevent most curling, right? Thank you for your help!

Jan in CA
07-16-2011, 11:44 PM
@suzeeq- Just found those exact needles! I guess I should have looked for thinner yarn if I wanted smaller stitches, but oh well. These new needles should prevent most curling, right? Thank you for your help!

Not necessarily as I said, but it may help somewhat.

suzeeq
07-17-2011, 12:40 AM
It'll help to use the larger needles along with border sts as Jan suggested.

fatoldladyinpjs
07-17-2011, 07:24 AM
My son has one or two scarves that are similar to this. The reason that yours looks so different from the picture is that you are knitting this scarf flat. This particular scarf, like most manufactured ones, is knit in the round as a tube. That is why the scarf looks so perfect in the photo and you can't match it. Get out your double points or circular needle for this one. On scarves that have fair isle patterns or some kind of logo, a size one needle would be appropriate. Since this only has stripes, I don't see why you couldn't use larger needles and get the same effect. A size 1,2, or 3 needle would give you more of a store bought look if that's what you're after. If this is for a guy, they're picky about what they wear. I try to use appropriate sized needles and yarn so it doesn't look too homemade or girly for them. I don't have the patience to knit on a size one needle. God bless you.

fatoldladyinpjs
07-17-2011, 07:54 AM
When I'm knitting hats, scarves, or mittens for my adult sons, I use a 4,5, or 6 needle. I use 100% Peruvian wool sport weight and try to keep my tension as even as possible. This gives a more store bought look, but I still get the thick high-quality of a hand knit to keep them warm. They've always been thrilled with garments that I make for them in this manner. They always wear them and the hats and mittens don't sit on a closet shelf.

For myself, I walk a lot in all winter extremes so I use worsted weight for my garments. I've noticed that young people these days mostly go from the house to the pre-warmed car. One of my sons' friends is so lazy that he drives just to go one block. Once the heater kicks in, they don't need heavy gloves. Sport weight is generally a good one to use in these circumstances.

suzeeq
07-17-2011, 09:35 AM
She started with size 1s, but she's using a worsted weight yarn. Commercially made ones would probably use an equivalent needle, but fingering or even lace weight yarn. So using 1s with worsted is not going to replicate a storebought scarf like this.

trvvn5
07-18-2011, 01:01 PM
I've knit a couple of scarves in stockinette and I've tried everything I can to get rid of the curling and I find that nothing really works. I agree with Jan and suzeeq that you can make those adjustments to help alleviate some of the curling, but in the end if it's done in stockinette its probably still going to curl. There was a really great website I read once that showed the mechanics of why stockinette curls and it was really interesting to know why this happens. And when I read it I had a lightbulb moment.

Jan in CA
07-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Is this the link?
http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2007/03/mysteries-of-knitting-part-1-tale-of.html