PDA

View Full Version : Yaarn suggestions

lgoddard
07-16-2011, 08:39 AM
I need to do another prayer shawl and do not want to use Home Spun again. As many of you know it is not the greatest yarn to work with but I do like the various choice of colors and of course they are varigated which make the shawl so pretty. I know I can change to any different yarn I want but would like to know if anyone knows of other yarns of that weight that are varigated like Home Spun?
Thanks for any suggestions, Lisa

suzeeq
07-16-2011, 10:03 AM
RH has a yarn called Collage (or Kollage), and Lion has Tweed Stripes that are variegated but smoother than Homespun. The trick with Homespun is to use large needles, at least 11s, and to tension it loosely.

sgtpam
07-16-2011, 11:07 AM
I need to do another prayer shawl and do not want to use Home Spun again. As many of you know it is not the greatest yarn to work with but I do like the various choice of colors and of course they are varigated which make the shawl so pretty. I know I can change to any different yarn I want but would like to know if anyone knows of other yarns of that weight that are varigated like Home Spun?
Thanks for any suggestions, Lisa

My absolute favorite is Hobby Lobby Epais. :heart: Soft, pretty, the same thickness as Home Spun without being as hard to work with and economical! ...especially if you buy it with a HL coupon. Regular price is about $18. But I've never paid full price for it!14oz, 393 yards. I don't think I've ever paid more than $10 for a skein. :thumbsup:

I wish I could show you...but, for some reason I haven't been able to post pictures lately. But, if you're on Ravelry, do a search on projects with this yarn and you can see how it looks. Also, if you go to HL and look at the label, it really does work up the way it shows. The colors blend into each other as you go along and makes a really nice pattern.:knitting:

I've done 5 or 6 shawls and a few lap rugs with it and have had nothing but raves...my sister loved hers so much that she "stole" 2 others I had dones to use in her photography studio. She keeps one in her baby carriage for shoots.....the one I gave her she wears and she is very picky with things that are near her neck...it has to be soft or she just won't wear it.

Give it a shot and let me know if you love it as much as I do.:cool:

lgoddard
07-16-2011, 12:01 PM
RH has a yarn called Collage (or Kollage), and Lion has Tweed Stripes that are variegated but smoother than Homespun. The trick with Homespun is to use large needles, at least 11s, and to tension it loosely. Thanks will take a look at that. Unfortunately I do knit tight and that was another reason I did not like Homespun. I always have to remind myself to relax so my stitches aren't so tight,

lgoddard
07-16-2011, 12:03 PM
My absolute favorite is Hobby Lobby Epais. :heart: Soft, pretty, the same thickness as Home Spun without being as hard to work with and economical! ...especially if you buy it with a HL coupon. Regular price is about $18. But I've never paid full price for it!14oz, 393 yards. I don't think I've ever paid more than $10 for a skein. :thumbsup:

I wish I could show you...but, for some reason I haven't been able to post pictures lately. But, if you're on Ravelry, do a search on projects with this yarn and you can see how it looks. Also, if you go to HL and look at the label, it really does work up the way it shows. The colors blend into each other as you go along and makes a really nice pattern.:knitting:

I've done 5 or 6 shawls and a few lap rugs with it and have had nothing but raves...my sister loved hers so much that she "stole" 2 others I had dones to use in her photography studio. She keeps one in her baby carriage for shoots.....the one I gave her she wears and she is very picky with things that are near her neck...it has to be soft or she just won't wear it.

Give it a shot and let me know if you love it as much as I do.:cool: Thank you for this information! I am going to hit HL and see what I can find. They yarns sounds really nice the way you describe everything.

suzeeq
07-16-2011, 01:02 PM
HL has a few other multi and striping yarns, as well as the RH and Lion ones I mentioned above. I think the HL yarns are worsted, but you could use size 10 or 10s and follow your prayer shawl pattern. I like their self-striping ones, they really do.

sgtpam
07-16-2011, 01:23 PM
The pattern I've been using is Herb Garden Shawl by Nettie DiLorenzo. It's a free download on Ravelry.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/herb-garden-shawl

fatoldladyinpjs
07-16-2011, 09:49 PM
I've been using Caron One Pound yarn for charity work. They have variegated colors, but those are only 10 ounce skeins. They're designed to compliment any solid Caron One Pound color. My favorite was Jetstream. The colors were just beautiful and it was a joy to work with. I knitted a pair of flip top mittens for a lady with the Jetstream. Her granddaughter loved the colors so much that she stole them from her. lol

http://www.caron.com/color_cards/cc_onepound.html

lgoddard
07-17-2011, 03:53 PM
The pattern I've been using is Herb Garden Shawl by Nettie DiLorenzo. It's a free download on Ravelry.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/herb-garden-shawl Thanks for that pattern info, that is beautiful!