PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting neck on pattern...

elcrafty
08-10-2011, 04:05 PM
hi everyone,
I'm new here, and had a question about the neck on my sweater pattern. I have made this sweater before and the neck is too low and round for my liking. I remember someone telling me to make the sweater 2" longer then start the neck. but I'm not sure I want to make it longer as it will be too long for me as I'm short waisted.
so what is the best way to do this? i think I'm making it harder than it needs to be. perhaps just not use as many stitches as they say.
thanks for your help.
Ellen

salmonmac
08-10-2011, 04:46 PM
If you like the rest of the pattern, I think the idea is to knit the pattern as given but ignore the directions to shape the neck. Put in the armhole shaping if there is such and start the neck 2" past where the directions say to (or however many inches further up you think you'd prefer). See if that will work with the rest of the directions. The total length should stay the same, the armhole shaping will stay the same. It's only the length before the neck shaping that you're going to adjust.

suzeeq
08-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Start the neck higher, or just work the yoke longer with more decreases, depending on how it's constructed. Not make the overall length longer, that doesn't always help the neck. If you can tell us the pattern name, we could be a little more specific.

elcrafty
08-10-2011, 08:20 PM
it's an old Patons pattern, Breath of Spring #682 I'm doing sweater #4.

to shape the neck you pattern across 64 sts, turn.
decrease 1st at neck edge on next 7 rows then following 4 alternate ros. should end up with 53 sts.

if I decrease more sts it should make the neck smaller right?

salmonmac
08-10-2011, 08:34 PM
If you decrease more sts it will make the neck opening larger. Starting the neck higher up and doing fewer decreases will make the neck opening smaller.

suzeeq
08-10-2011, 08:55 PM
In this pattern, that will make the neck wider. You can also make it smaller when you're finished - pick up sts all around the neck line and work a few rows for a neck band.

elcrafty
08-11-2011, 08:56 AM
great thanks girls. I'm going to give it a try! if I don't like it then I can always pull it out~;)