PDA

View Full Version : Needle size

pbs
09-05-2011, 04:23 PM
I am getting ready to start a short-row ruffled scarf which says to use the size needles required by the yarn. My yard says use 7-8 and I don't know which to use--I hate yarn that gives you a range cause I knit for stress relief and am unable to make any decisions right now. Do I use a 7 or an 8? It's Noro Taiyo yarn. Please help--can't handle it today--NEED TO START KNITTING!!!!! For my sanity...

Ingrid
09-05-2011, 04:41 PM
There is only a range because we all knit at different tensions. When making a garment it's important to knit at the correct gauge so it will turn out the proper size.

For a scarf? Start it with whatever needles you want and if you like the fabric created then stick with it. If you tend to knit tightly, use the 8's; loosely, the 7's.

fatoldladyinpjs
09-06-2011, 03:28 AM
Gauge isn't that critical on a scarf. Use whichever one you prefer.

suzeeq
09-06-2011, 08:00 PM
I'd go with the 8 or even use a 9; gauge isn't crucial for a scarf and you probably want it soft and drapey which you get with the larger needles rather than smaller ones.

Catfish12187
09-08-2011, 09:31 PM
I'd use the 8, because I tend to knit tight, plus it is better to have a bigger scarf than too narrow a scarf.

Lovedaluce
09-10-2011, 03:06 AM
I would go with the 8. A bigger needle means bigger stitches and that means a scarf with larger stitches and is therefore more more comfortable around the neck. It's a comfy factor.

SDK
09-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Gauge isn't that critical on a scarf. Use whichever one you prefer.
Pull out your 7's and your 8's and set them next to each other, close your eyes pick up a pair and then start casting on. Scarves are really gauge friendly.