PDA

View Full Version : LOVE my Kindle!

Jan in CA
11-26-2011, 02:48 AM
I have the Kindle with special offers and one of the offers was a humor book for $1. I put in the code and it showed me the books to choose from. I chose one that would have been $8.99, but I got it for $1! Sweet!! :yay:

I actually don't mind those special offers at all! If you're considering a Kindle and are hesitating...don't. You only see the ads/special offers as a screen saver and small one on your home screen. I kind of like looking at them especially when they sometimes get me a cheap book! :yay:

Ingrid
11-26-2011, 11:33 AM
I always thought I'd prefer paper books, but I got a Kindle in the beginning of the summer and have read more in the past few months than I have in years.

I have the one with the 'ads', too, and it really doesn't matter to me if my screen saver has Oil of Olay on it. It saved me money. I haven't checked out any of their special offers, yet, mainly because I'll spend too much.

Jan in CA
11-26-2011, 01:53 PM
I always thought I'd prefer paper books, but I got a Kindle in the beginning of the summer and have read more in the past few months than I have in years.
Exactly! I have, too!

I have the one with the 'ads', too, and it really doesn't matter to me if my screen saver has Oil of Olay on it. It saved me money. I haven't checked out any of their special offers, yet, mainly because I'll spend too much.

I have spent more on books, but many of the are the daily deals for a 99 cents, etc. I've found some new authors that way, too!

Northknitter
11-26-2011, 09:01 PM
I have the Kindle with special offers and one of the offers was a humor book for $1. I put in the code and it showed me the books to choose from. I chose one that would have been $8.99, but I got it for $1! Sweet!! :yay:

I actually don't mind those special offers at all! If you're considering a Kindle and are hesitating...don't. You only see the ads/special offers as a screen saver and small one on your home screen. I kind of like looking at them especially when they sometimes get me a cheap book! :yay:
reading outside, how do you like that on the ebook...also, night reading...what is a cost of a book..

Ingrid
11-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Reading outside is awesome. No glare at all. The print is black on white like a regular book. You can also change the font so if the light isn't optimal you can make the print larger if you like.

The price of books varies and there are many classics that you can get for free. Generally, though, I find the price to download cheaper than the actual book. And so much more portable.

You can also get games for it--word games and the like.

The newer version appears to have a lot more applications--check it out at Amazon.

Jan in CA
11-26-2011, 11:21 PM
reading outside, how do you like that on the ebook...also, night reading...what is a cost of a book..

Outside reading is awesome! You can read in direct sunlight with no problem. At nighttime you need a good light or to use a lighted book cover. I bought one when I bought my Kindle. It protects the kindle and it provides light.

ETA: Forgot to add price info... Books do seem to generally be less than a paperback, but not always. I find I'm getting a lot of my books with the Kindle daily deals (I get them on FB) or the other special pricing for various things like the 100 best books for November, etc. A few of the books are lendable, but not many. I keep track for a friend of mine.

There are many choices. The Kindle touch wasn't available when I bought mine, but I don't mind using the page turn on the side of it at all.

I got this one -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HZYA6E/ref=famstripe_kk3g

With this cover (red!!) -
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Lighted-Leather-Burgundy-Keyboard/dp/B003DZ166Q/ref=_1_4?pf_rd_p=1322981542&pf_rd_s=center-68&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004HZYA6E&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1V1Z31W6FP9JKDFNY2TK

JudyD
11-27-2011, 08:12 AM
I'm another Kindle lover :heart: :heart: :heart: !!!

I've bookmarked several of the free e-books sites. I've just about given up on our local library...there are always 20 or 30+ people with the e-books on hold.

I have an Amazon Visa and my reward points are dedicated to e-books only. I end up reading a lot of current books for free.

Judy

Jan in CA
11-27-2011, 01:45 PM
The library must have a limit of how many books they can check out. It's hard to understand because they are electronic for goodness sake! :lol: If you're a member of Amazon Prime they now have a lending library, too! I haven't joined yet, but will after the holidays.

I do buy books, but as I said they are very often the 99 cent or special deal books. The books from authors my DH and I both read I don't buy for kindle..we buy those in paperback so he can read them, too.

I figure I could have a way worse addiction than than books or knitting so I'm good. :lol:

Ingrid
11-27-2011, 02:55 PM
I also like the fact that the books are instantly available. I recently read the series The Game of Thrones. It was fantastic, btw, and I highly recommend them.

If I had been in a position where I'd finished one of the books and couldn't run to the book store or library, I would NOT have been happy. As it was, I downloaded the series and read it like one big book.

Jan in CA
11-27-2011, 04:02 PM
I did the same thing Ingrid with the Outlander (http://www.amazon.com/Outlander-with-Bonus-Content-ebook/dp/B000FC2L1O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1322424042&sr=8-3) series by Diana Gabaldon. They were huge, but I was enjoying them so much I went through all 7 over the summer. :teehee:

One thing that I LOVE with Kindle is you can download a sample first. It's nice to read a little sometimes to see if it's something you really want to pay for.

I've heard of Game of Thrones, but haven't read it. I'll check it out.

sakura-panda
11-27-2011, 11:50 PM
The library must have a limit of how many books they can check out. It's hard to understand because they are electronic for goodness sake! :lol:

It's not the library; it's the publishers that set those limits. :shrug: One of them (Harper Collins?) actually set a lending limit where libraries had to stop lending books at all after 20 borrows, or something ridiculously low like that.

Found a link: http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/home/889452-264/harpercollins_puts_26_loan_cap.html.csp

Jan in CA
11-28-2011, 12:59 AM
Found a link: http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/home/889452-264/harpercollins_puts_26_loan_cap.html.csp

That's ridiculous. :hair: I can understand they have to have limits in some ways, but the library? And really we DO pay something for most ebooks and very few are lendable. They probably get less lending at all because who's going to lend out their ereader?!

JudyD
11-28-2011, 05:51 AM
That's ridiculous. :hair: I can understand they have to have limits in some ways, but the library? And really we DO pay something for most ebooks and very few are lendable. They probably get less lending at all because who's going to lend out their ereader?!

I did...(raising hand here!)...once. I loaned mine to my daughter so she could read Sarah's Key which is not a book one can loan. I figured out how I could send it from my Kindle to her Kindle and in the process offended the Kindle gods. She couldn't open it because she didn't have my Kindle address at the time. What she got was a message saying she had received communication from an "unauthorized person". I sent her my Kindle address, but when I tried to send the book I couldn't do it a second time. I'm probably on a "She Who Offended the Kindle Gods List" for life!

Judy

Jan in CA
11-28-2011, 01:16 PM
:teehee: I think other e-readers have the same problem, but I haven't read up on it too much yet.

Here's the Kindle info if you need it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200549320

sgtpam
11-30-2011, 10:28 PM
Have you seen this?.....you can get updates on facebook or by e-mail. They may not be the newest books...but, they're free. AND...if you don't have a Kindle, you can download them through Amazon onto your PC or smartphone (mine's on my Android, Verizon Fascinate)

http://ereadernewstoday.com/category/free-kindle-books/

Jan in CA
12-01-2011, 01:20 AM
Thanks, I'll check that out! Most of what I've found free are the classics and I've read a lot of those over the years. I have Amazon and Amazon Kindle on FB and I've gotten a lot of free/low priced books that way, too.

sakura-panda
12-01-2011, 11:11 AM
I like Books on the Knob (http://blog.booksontheknob.org/p/kindle-free-reads-list.html) for looking up non-PD kindle freebies.

justplaincharlotte
12-01-2011, 03:25 PM
My daughter bought herself a Kindle for Christmas and loves it! I don't have the need for one until my iPad 1 dies, which I hope is never (it was too expensive to die early :wink: ). I do have the Kindle app on it, as iBooks, great though it is, is IMO more limited in book selection.

borealowl
12-01-2011, 05:07 PM
I love my Kindle too, which I received a few months ago as a gift. But I still enjoy buying books and going to the library. Amazon has some authors' books at .99 or 1.99 but then their next books at a higher price. For those I go to the library to save money -I have an excellent local library that has an online catalog. I'd still rather own a book copy of a knitting book.I have also found some new books through their deal of the day or best seller lists. Basically I just get what's cheapest, whether it's a Kindle book or my library!

Jan in CA
12-01-2011, 09:06 PM
My daughter bought herself a Kindle for Christmas and loves it! I don't have the need for one until my iPad 1 dies, which I hope is never (it was too expensive to die early :wink: ). I do have the Kindle app on it, as iBooks, great though it is, is IMO more limited in book selection.

I want an iPad 2! However, it'll be awhile. I thought about just getting it for reading, but I do a lot of reading outside in the summer and those screens are not optimal for reading. I have an iPhone so I'm familiar with it. I would love to have it for other uses though like sitting on my couch browsing Ravelry or answering questions here! ;)

Jan in CA
12-01-2011, 09:07 PM
I like Books on the Knob (http://blog.booksontheknob.org/p/kindle-free-reads-list.html) for looking up non-PD kindle freebies.

PD? Thanks for the link!

justplaincharlotte
12-01-2011, 11:08 PM
I want an iPad 2! However, it'll be awhile. I thought about just getting it for reading, but I do a lot of reading outside in the summer and those screens are not optimal for reading. I have an iPhone so I'm familiar with it. I would love to have it for other uses though like sitting on my couch browsing Ravelry or answering questions here! ;)

I'm not a sunbather, rather I'm a sunburner. :wink: As long as I'm in the shade outside I can read reasonably well on my iPad, and there are glare proof screen protectors too. What it does, it does well. No offense to other Apple fans, but it's really just a great big iPod. No need to hurry to get one.

And we really, really want you to be comfortable while answering questions! :) :notworthy:

sgtpam
12-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Thanks, I'll check that out! Most of what I've found free are the classics and I've read a lot of those over the years. I have Amazon and Amazon Kindle on FB and I've gotten a lot of free/low priced books that way, too.

These aren't the classics (I already have those,too) ...some novels, some short stories and some how-to's and even some business books and research sort of books. Lots of variety. I don't know how they are able to make so many available for free:?? Just wish I could read and knit at the same time:teehee:

sakura-panda
12-02-2011, 10:55 AM
PD? Thanks for the link!

Public Domain -- the free classics that are everywhere. (For public domain and less well-known classic books I like to use the free library at MobileRead.com (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=128). The Mobipocket format work on the Kindle.)

cindycactus
12-02-2011, 08:39 PM
My kindle is to arrive tomorrow. I have been wanting one but I had the ap on my pc and have been using that. On Black Monday I was on the computer and DH was watching TV when an ad came on the TV for the Amazon kindle. DH said, "Why don't you order one." I immediately went to Amazon and did just that before he could change his mind. I will be at the Post Office tomorrow as soon as they open. :teehee:

heatherm36
01-10-2012, 10:29 PM
I have had my Nook for like 3 years now, and I love it. Admittedly right now I don't read as much on it, but that's because I have been going to the library more. But on B&N.com you can get free nook books on there, i've found quite a few that are really good for free.

N0obKnitter
01-19-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm asking for a Kindle Fire for my 38th birthday. :)

Jan in CA
01-19-2012, 09:50 PM
I've thought about getting one of those as well. I have an iPhone so I'm kind of torn between the Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab or the iPad. I know the others are more expensive, especially the iPad, but I love my phone so... :teehee: We'll see. Can't wait to hear how you love the Fire!

laurawh82
01-22-2012, 01:45 PM
How do you check books out on the library on the Kindle?

Jan in CA
01-22-2012, 02:18 PM
How do you check books out on the library on the Kindle?

You mean check books out of your own library where you live? I go to my library website and look at their ebooks and then send it to my Kindle. Kind of like when you shop for a book on Amazon.

offgridgirl
01-27-2012, 11:46 PM
I have had my Nook for like 3 years now, and I love it. Admittedly right now I don't read as much on it, but that's because I have been going to the library more. But on B&N.com you can get free nook books on there, i've found quite a few that are really good for free.

Ditto....I love it and can read it in full sun or shade!! I can lead or borrow books. I did get a tablet,Xoom from Motorola for xmas and love that!! Especially for my KNITTING magazine!! Angry birds are time well wasted!! ;p

susianna
02-28-2012, 06:47 AM
I'm considering getting a Kindle, but I don't really know much about it. (Technology impaired).
Okay, when you buy a book, is it yours forever? And, do pictures show up? And, most importantly, can I buy knitting books? (And here, pictures are paramount). Thanks for any info.:heart:

Jan in CA
02-28-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm considering getting a Kindle, but I don't really know much about it. (Technology impaired).
Okay, when you buy a book, is it yours forever? And, do pictures show up? And, most importantly, can I buy knitting books? (And here, pictures are paramount). Thanks for any info.:heart:

Yes, if you buy a book it is yours forever. You can keep it in your Kindle or you can delete it, but you can get it again if you want. You can see them and move them to different Kindles or manage them on Amazon on your computer.

The Kindle Fire is the only one where you can actually see pictures in color like you want for a knitting book. The Fire is kind of a baby iPad type device. It doesn't do or have all the same things iPad has, but it's often enough for some people.

The original Kindle e-readers are in black and white are are intended for reading books like novels for the most part. They sometimes show illustrations or drawings, but not in color. So if that is important to you then you might want to consider the Kindle Fire.

There are pros and cons to both types. The e-reader is wonderful in bright light, but you can't see it in the dark unless you have a good lamp or added light. I have a book cover with a built in light. The Kindle Fire is great in the dark, but might be hard to read at the beach.

So check out Amazon, too. They've got lots of info. :thumbsup: