PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to knitting

teacherknit
11-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Hello,
I am teaching myself how to knit a scarf and I am struggling when making my first row...I am able to do the casting with my one finger...and then I become confused in which way I should direct the second needle. For example, I finish the casting and begin to bring the other needle and cross it , then I wrap around the yarn...but then I am not sure what is the next step...I have been watching it via youtube but I am not quite getting it...Am I making it harder than it is? Any tips and suggestions are appreciated.

suzeeq
11-28-2011, 12:14 AM
After you wrap the yarn around the needle, bring it through the loop. You might want to look at the Demo of a Small Project video on the Tips page to see how to do a piece from cast on, working a few rows, then binding off.

Ingrid
11-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Check out Amy's videos.

Also, I'd suggest trying a different cast-on. The loop is ok for some things, but doesn't make the first row easy and doesn't give a nice edge.

As for knitting, after you pull the loop through the stitch, slide the stitch that you knit into off the needle.

JLynn
11-28-2011, 07:44 AM
Teacherknit, 1st of all Welcome to knittinghelp, you will find everyone here is very helpful.

This is the video that I had watched to learn before I found this site she shows everything at first in slow motion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwi3xgZzlk

Hope you find it useful.

JLynn:knitting:

ChatyKathy
11-28-2011, 08:34 AM
Hi,
I am new here also and to refresh myself I called the Library to see if they had any videos and they did so I went and got a help knitting and it helped to refresh myself. I have dial up and its hard to upload a video. Also Ebay sure helped with some the library didnt have as far as videos go. Just a thought...
Sounds like your tension is to tight if you cant find where to bring the loop thru for it to go to the other needle.

suzeeq
11-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Yeah that's something I forgot to mention - the number of sts may have to be decreased. It's less noticeable if done just as you start the ribbing.

erinallport
11-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Hi,
I also am a newbie, in fact, I finally picked up my new knitting needles today to try to see if I could do it! LOL!
I was going to post the video here, but it says I have to post 2 posts first...so I will post this and a blank one, and then try to post the video that I used!
and was able to get the hang of casting on very quickly. I even was able to do the next few rows...the only problem I had was they slipped off the needle from time to time and since I didn't know how to fix it, I had to start all over!
But watch that video and see if it helps you! Good luck!

erinallport
11-28-2011, 05:55 PM
one more :)

erinallport
11-28-2011, 05:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=q3UuK-W24yY

salmonmac
11-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Hi and welcome to KH. I think we all have our favorite how-to videos. Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uw-nUvGrBY) one of mine. I like the cast on because, although you use your thumb, it's like a knitted cast on, so you get to practice the knit st as you cast on. And the first couple of rows are there too.

suzeeq
11-28-2011, 07:15 PM
That's got some jazzy music in it....

That's the way I figured out Long Tail CO, couldn't get it just using one hand and realized that if I 'knit' the thumb loop, it was the same.