PDA

View Full Version : Which weight is "aran"?????

knitcindy
12-20-2011, 12:07 PM
On Ravelry, they don't use the Icon numbers for weights of yarn and I'm having trouble with "Aran"!!! Is that a #4 or 5 or WHAT exactly????

I mostly use Ravelry to search out equivalent yarns that are cheaper.

Thanks muchly!
knitcindy

Antares
12-20-2011, 01:06 PM
One of the pattern mags I get uses lots of "aran weight yarn," which they have listed as 4 medium (flipping to the back to check the chart to make sure). Yup, it's worsted weight yarn.

suzeeq
12-20-2011, 05:41 PM
It's slightly heavier than worsted (4), however many worsted weights are heavy enough to pass. You can interchange them really, subbing one for another.

knitcindy
12-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Thanks so much for your help!

I have noticed that even within each of the "official" weights of yarn, there's a LOT of variation between them! There are thin #4s and thick #4s and everything in between!!

I will keep my eyes open for a thick #4 to use instead of "aran weight"!

Thanks,
knitcindy

chixdilla
12-21-2011, 11:43 AM
I've noticed the same thing, and it drives me nuts! I found a pattern that called for sport weight yarn, so I went to Joann's to find a similar yarn. But since none of the yarns are labeled with specific weights, just those annoying 3s and 4s and whatnot, I bought a size 3 yarn, which I thought was sport weight. Nope, according to Ravelry, that yarn that I bought turned out to be Fingering weight so my gauge was all off!

I've noticed it's a bit less confusing if I look at the needle size that's recommended with the yarn, rather than looking at the weight number. If a yarn calls for an 8 needle, it's usually worsted, and if it calls for a size 9 needle it's usually aran.

Although right now I'm working on a striped pattern with 2 different colors. One of my yarns is worsted and the other is aran, and I haven't had any problems using both weights in the same pattern. They look very similar to me.

Jan in CA
12-21-2011, 05:03 PM
http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/weight.html

While it's technically considered a "4", I've always considered it sort of a heavy worsted. If you look at the link above you'll see that worsted weight/aran varies from 16-20 stitches over 4 inches. That's a pretty big gauge difference.

Laura - After awhile you can usually look at the gauge on the yarn and have a pretty good idea what weight it is. :thumbsup:

knitcindy
01-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Thanks for everyone's help! I'm looking at a pattern that calls for "Wool Clasica" by Manos del Uruguay. Ravelry says this is an "aran" weight yarn.

I pretty much shop at JoAnn Fabrics or Michaels. Can anyone recommend a yarn from there that would be an aran weight???

Thanks AGAIN!!!!!
knitcindy

suzeeq
01-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Vanna's choice is a heavier worsted, and Caron's Country looks really thin, but it knits up to an aran gauge and fluffs up a lot when washed.

knitcindy
01-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Thanks SuzeeQ!!!!

Anyone else have some "aran" yarns they want to recommend?? How about Plymouth Encore or KnitPicks new Brava worsted.........are they aran??

knitcindy

suzeeq
01-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Encore may work, it's a little heavier, haven't seen Brava yet. But most worsteds will be a good substitute.

Jan in CA
01-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Encore is 4.5 -5 spi so it's considered worsted. I use it a lot and IMO it knits up pretty true to the gauge for me.