View Full Version : Whats the difference

01-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Can someone tell me what the difference is between a skein a ball and a hank?

01-16-2012, 04:15 PM
"Skein" and "ball" are often used interchangeably. A "hank," however, is rarely wound into a useful...sorry...ball of yarn.

Hanks are one reason knitters/crocheters purchase yarn ball winders *or* have the shop wind balls for them, if that service is offered.

If you're looking at a pattern which calls for X skeins/balls of yarn, and you don't have that exact yarn available, look at the total number of YARDS of yarn needed. That's where the heart of the matter lies. :)


01-16-2012, 05:12 PM
The pattern that Im looking at calls for 5 hanks, at 100g (82yds) each

01-16-2012, 06:10 PM
A hank is also called a skein so they all mean the same thing, they're just shaped differently. A skein is a big loop of yarn that needs to be wound in a ball. If you're going to substitute, use the yardage of a similar type of yarn. It sounds like a super bulky and you'll need about 410 yds total.

Jan in CA
01-16-2012, 06:15 PM
They are used interchangeably, but I think this is what people often think of when the terms are mentioned. Yardage is what counts though when getting enough yarn for a pattern.