PDA

View Full Version : I made my first SOCK! wooohooo!

knutzaboutknitz
02-01-2012, 03:07 AM
I am so excited! It's small, a baby sock perhaps? There are numerous errors, and I had more stitches on the needles when I ended, more than was called for by the pattern. Thankfully those extra stitches were on needle one. I am so excited. Now I have to maker another one.

Jan in CA
02-01-2012, 03:33 AM
It's adorable! Good job!

Antares
02-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Great looking first sock! I hope the next one will be much easier for you.

:yay:

GrumpyGramma
02-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Fantastic! :yay: Good looking sock. Don't forget to finish the pair.

knutzaboutknitz
02-01-2012, 02:31 PM
do another one? egads! :) I guess I better for the practice, even tho I am itching to try this on a full sized adult sock pattern.

LoveBugAngel
02-01-2012, 05:57 PM
looks great! I don't even see any holes in the gusset! Talent!

GrumpyGramma
02-01-2012, 06:00 PM
do another one? egads! :) I guess I better for the practice, even tho I am itching to try this on a full sized adult sock pattern.
Do you really need 2 that size? Have you a handy set of feet for a pair of socks that small? If not, it could be a key chain decoration! Then you can go on to a larger pair sooner. You might check into doing 2 at a time to avoid 2nd sock syndrome. I find having them come out the same length is nice too. Not long ago I thought I was starting mittens but my grandson was over and thought he needed slippers so the cuffs turned into slipper cuffs. :)

justplaincharlotte
02-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Awesome!!! Your sock rocks! :yay:

If you *really* want to iron out the errors, go for the second sock just like this one. If not, you have an adorable christmas ornament for 2012.:)

Otherwise, if you know where you made them, and why, I say go for adult socks!:woot:

salmonmac
02-01-2012, 07:26 PM
How adorable and what a good idea to practice the techniques on a small project. Very clever of you. Now get busy on sock number two!
Thanks for the picture.

nonny2t
02-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Terrific! The more you make, the better you get at it you will find. Again, you did a great job on a first sock!

knutzaboutknitz
02-01-2012, 09:56 PM
GrumpGrandma - key chain good idea, (considering a bought a big sack of key chains rings at the flea market, why? a $1, how could i say no? Keychains for everyone)

LoveBugAngel - thanks - whats a gusset? That is the side correct? where you re-join to get back in the round?

justplaincharlotte - thanks - I agree, I am going to do sock #2, to fix those errors. I never thought a piece of clothing could make me so happy!

salmonmac - thank you, I wanted to see progress, the smaller sock, let me see it sooner. Plus truth be told, I started it 6 times if I started it once, and it took me three days. Not 72 hrs mind you, but each night I did a portion. I had a chance to get comfy with the rounds, and just about when I was ready to change it up - yep - the pattern did that for me.

I got confused in turning the heal, I kept losing count of what I was doing. I did the heel piece about 4 times before I got it 'right'

I even did the kitchner (sp?) stitch to close it off. What a great feeling to see it come together at the toe so nicely

thanks again everyone, i will be back next time with two big girl socks!

LoveBugAngel
02-01-2012, 10:11 PM
yep the gusset where you pick up the stitches, I'm a new sock knitter and I keep getting holes in that area.

knutzaboutknitz
02-01-2012, 11:43 PM
I have noticed I am a tight knitter. I seem to always be fighting trying to slip that needled into to knit. How are you knitting your socks? dpns?

GrumpyGramma
02-02-2012, 12:49 AM
The gusset is the triangle shaped part of the sock near the ankle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gusset

2 socks, no small feet? Earrings! :roflhard: Uh, I guess they'd be a bit large for that. Hey, key rings are great to have around. Lots of uses. For $1, I'd take 'em home.

ArtLady1981
02-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Sock envy!

Nice job! It looks really good!

knutzaboutknitz
02-02-2012, 06:49 PM
GrumpyGramma - LOL you are funny! (not really that grumpy) I am in the middle of baby test sock number 2...

ArtLady1981 - Sock Envy...good one... and thank you!

Olha
02-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Cute sock and also a knitterly milestone :) I have one little 'too wide sock' that is now a tiny Christmas stocking. Mine is red with light grey stripes. It's not functional unless I want to put a tiny toy in there but it's proudly displayed anyway :)

knutzaboutknitz
02-03-2012, 06:22 PM
thank you, I will be completing it's sister this evening. It is definitely a milestone for me. First time I have ever used a pattern. First time I have ever knitted something that wasnt flat.
First time sock... I am so excited, everyone will be getting socks for xmas 2012. yeah!