PDA

View Full Version : knitting surprises!

knutzaboutknitz
03-01-2012, 11:34 AM
I have off and on throughout the years purchased yarn because something drew me to the color, feel, etc. I know you can all relate. :)

Four years ago I moved across country. I still have boxes here and there that have been forgotten. I knew I had yarn from way back when, I finally found it in a big box marked "Yarn" - wow. It was like Christmas when I opened that box. The good news is now I am actually knitting and can use that yarn.

ON another note, growing up my mom was big into crafts, sewing, latch-hooking, needle point, crocheting, knitting, etc. She had all sorts of doohickies and notions, that I as a kid had no clue about.

When she passed away 7 years ago, I became the owner of all her doohickies and notions, of which I still am clueless about. Now that I am spending the time to get back into a yarn craft, I find myself seeing examples of all her little trinkets, or big trinkets at that and thinking "Ahhhh so that's what that thing is used for".

Just a thought I have had recently as I find out that big wooden thing that looked like a naked umbrella would come in handy for all this new found yarn. :-P

GrumpyGramma
03-01-2012, 12:20 PM
That's great. I'm glad you have all the doohickeys still, it would have been easy to get rid of them. Enjoy the yarn you discovered. Is your naked umbrella a yarn swift?

suzeeq
03-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Yeah, that's how I felt when I cleaned out a storage unit I had put stuff in 5 years before while moving across country and almost back. Wow, didn't realize I had that much yarn. By then I'd added to it a lot though...

Jan in CA
03-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Oh that's fun! Always nice to find good surprises! :yay:

knutzaboutknitz
03-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Yes, correct a yarn swift. Sadly I had sold that in the many estate sales. She had so much I had to pick and choose.

Yes, surprises are great!

DogCatMom
03-02-2012, 02:47 AM
Depending on where in northern California you are, I may be able to help you identify some of those doohickeys.

Fields in which I am experienced: hand embroidery (including cross-stitch and crewel work), needlepoint (including Bargello), period costuming, clothing, quilting, crochet, and knitting.

DCM

Antares
03-02-2012, 09:50 PM
My aunt gave me a box of doohickeys several years ago. It included some really cool things, like hairpin lace tines, cable needles (old Boyes), a very old knitwit, a Tunisian crochet hook (with a cord), scissor sharpeners, and hand-whittled crochet hooks. It also included a vast majority of things that I've still not identified.

We were on a camping trip when I got this box of doohickeys, and I talked about hiding some of the metal objects around the campground and then letting my cousin who loves to metal detect find them and wonder what in God's creation she had found. Most unfortunately my nefarious plan failed because she had already looked through the box! Drat it!! :evil: