PDA

View Full Version : Help With Woolies Pattern

paparazzimama
03-07-2012, 08:31 PM
So, Iím fairly new to cloth diapering and I thought Iíd try my hand at knitting some woolies for my twin boys. Decided on this patternÖ

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/us/pattern.php?id=5430&amp...

Öbut this so-so knitter is already having problems. Help a mama out??

1.) Iím knitting the 2 year size and it says to cast on 130 and then work a k2, p2 ribbing. But my ribbing ended with a k2. Seems like Iíve counted a million times and I have the right amount, so is that just a typo? And is it going to matter in the long-run?

2.) It calls to continue the ribbing for 10cm/4in!! That seems like a HUGE waist band for a baby, doesnít it? Is it sensible to just switch to stockinette earlier? Iíve never tried to modify a knitting pattern before.

3.) Last, I was hoping to make it into a drawstring top with some form of eyelets in the middle of the ribbing. Can anyone tell me how to do that??

salmonmac
03-07-2012, 08:50 PM
1.) Iím knitting the 2 year size and it says to cast on 130 and then work a k2, p2 ribbing. But my ribbing ended with a k2. Seems like Iíve counted a million times and I have the right amount, so is that just a typo? And is it going to matter in the long-run?
You're fine. The ribbing should end k2.

2.) It calls to continue the ribbing for 10cm/4in!! That seems like a HUGE waist band for a baby, doesnít it? Is it sensible to just switch to stockinette earlier? Iíve never tried to modify a knitting pattern before.
You could start the stockinette early but perhaps the reason for the 4 inch rib is to make sure the waist is snug?

3.) Last, I was hoping to make it into a drawstring top with some form of eyelets in the middle of the ribbing. Can anyone tell me how to do that?
You could do the eyelets by doing a yarn over and then a knit two together on the k2 part of the rib.

Jan in CA
03-07-2012, 08:57 PM
1. If you're knitting flat then just turn and start with a p2 on the back so you'll still have ribbing.

2. I agree with Salmonac. I think that is to make sure that the waist is covered well. I've had babies and I don't think you want to leave openings anywhere. :teehee: If you want to though it shouldn't be a problem as long as you keep that in mind when measuring.

3. Also agree with Salmonac's idea to do the YO k2tog.

fatoldladyinpjs
03-08-2012, 10:40 AM
I think the ribbing is long on this because it's designed to be comfortable on the baby's waist. It's probably long to accommodate the bulk of the diaper (nappy). It seems like a pretty straight forward beginner's pattern. Like I've heard Jan and others say here, trust the pattern. Go ahead and knit it up. If you don't like it, you can always rip it out and do it the way you want.

Congrats on having twins! I'm a mom of identical twin sons that are now 28 years old. Your twins will keep that close bond the rest of their lives. You'll seldom see one without the other. And yes, it does get easier once they're potty trained.

paparazzimama
03-09-2012, 12:57 AM
Thank you all SO much!! I appreciate you taking the time to check it out :) Hopefully you just saved me hours of cursing :)