PDA

View Full Version : Teaching my 7 year old!

MrsMallaeus
03-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Hi everyone. :waving:

I tried to teach my daughter to knit around 6 months ago when she had just turned 7, it didn't go well - a mixture of impatience and a lack of dexterity! Against my better judgement she has persuaded me to try and teach her again so I was hoping for some advice on helping her understand the sequences etc. I have already bought her some short kiddy needles and we will attempt a blanket for her zhu zhu hamster. Something I am struggling to find is a site for very easy patterns for children to knit. Preferably free.

So if you guys can help me out I'd be eternally grateful.

Tracey :knitting:

crazykntter83
03-16-2012, 09:18 AM
You know, I wonder if a simple blanket of garter stitch for a border and st st would be a good first project? Maybe just swatch sized since it is for a hamster. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!! :)

suzeeq
03-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Just a small square in garter should do very well for a hamster blanket I think. Look for patterns for dolls, they'll be small, though I can't see a hamster wearing a hat or scarf.... lol but there should be some ideas there.

IslandTime
03-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Hi everyone. :waving:

I tried to teach my daughter to knit around 6 months ago when she had just turned 7, it didn't go well - a mixture of impatience and a lack of dexterity! Against my better judgement she has persuaded me to try and teach her again so I was hoping for some advice on helping her understand the sequences etc. I have already bought her some short kiddy needles and we will attempt a blanket for her zhu zhu hamster. Something I am struggling to find is a site for very easy patterns for children to knit. Preferably free.

So if you guys can help me out I'd be eternally grateful.

Tracey :knitting:

If she can complete one project successfully, it'll be a great beginning to her knitting career! I'd absolutely stick with only garter stitch, fairly large needles, and have her do a SMALL square - then she can pick another colour from your stash and do a second one. If she's had enough by then, she can sew them together. (Hamster won't care if the blanket is rectangular instead of square) You could let her do both squares at the same time, alternating whenever she wants to, to help keep her interest high - and she'd be learning the concept of "needle holders". :wink:

Think of how much she would've learned at that point!

It wouldn't hurt if that knitting "grew" a row or two after she went to bed at night, either. I know (now) that mine did, when I was a little girl. Knitting is a slow process, especially in today's world.

Have fun!

salmonmac
03-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Here are some patterns (http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/kids.html) for children to knit from Bev's website. Maybe one of them will shout "knit me" to you and your daughter?

knitcindy
03-17-2012, 05:00 PM
When my daughter was working on her first projects, I used to "bribe" her into knitting more by telling her that we'd take turns with the knitting. She'd knit 1 or 2 rows and I'd knit double of whatever she'd done.

It got her knitting more!!!!
knitcindy

MrsMallaeus
03-18-2012, 05:05 PM
I haven't been able to get on, we had internet problems! :cry:

Grandma came over and helped to teach my little girl - turns out Grandma's have more patience and Granddaughter's listen to them more. :roll: It also turned out that we didn't need the shorter kiddy needles after all, poor kid struggled until we swapped her to regular length ones that she could tuck one under her arm.... Well, long story short, after 4 rows of 10 stitches each she was knitting away with no prompting and she completed 10 rows with only a couple of dropped stitch incidences (quickly rectified by Grandma). Incredibly she still had 10 stitches at the end! :woot: So we had her carefully stitch the sides up to make a pencil cosy, but the 'fairies' took it and left a note.... it will hopefully end up looking like one of these... Pencil Dolls (http://flutterbypatch.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/pencil-dolls.html)

Thank you everyone for helping out, suggesting patterns and the great idea of secretly adding rows or squares. Once dolly is finished I'll post a piccy. :muah:

GrumpyGramma
03-18-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm glad your knitting adventures are going so well. The pencil dolls should keep the interest in knitting strong.
I've tried to interest my grandkids in knitting but they don't seem to really want to. My daughter learned to crochet when she spent a week with her grandma.
That's a wonderful site. The penguin there is really cute (I really like penguins). Thanks for the link.