PDA

View Full Version : I got an iPad !!!

Jan in CA
03-18-2012, 02:48 AM
I'm so excited and having fun! It's so much easier to check the forum from my bed, the couch or wherever! :teehee:

Now to load my knitting apps on here! :yay:

livn4them
03-18-2012, 08:47 AM
It IS nice! I was playing with my BIL's Ipad yesterday :)

fatoldladyinpjs
03-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Congrats! I'm sure you're going to love it. I don't have one, just a small netbook. But it is nice to lounge in bed with them, especially if you're reading ebooks. I saw a protective case that's also an easel stand for Ipads at Big Lots.

Jan in CA
03-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Thanks! There are lots of covers like that now. They're pretty cool. I just got a screen protector and the front cover for now till I find what I want.

justplaincharlotte
03-19-2012, 11:21 PM
:yay:

Enjoy your great little gizmo - iPad's are dipped in awesomesauce! :inlove:

Jan in CA
03-20-2012, 12:45 AM

Enjoy your great little gizmo - iPad's are dipped in awesomesauce! :inlove:

:teehee: Awesomesauce! Love it!

fatoldladyinpjs
03-21-2012, 09:47 AM
The Ipads can save you money, too. One of the customers in our store showed me hers. She takes it along when she shops. Most businesses have WiFy now. She goes online as she finds items and compares prices to see if she's getting the best bargain.

Jan in CA
03-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Anyone with an iPad or iPhone should read this. There's some nifty new features with ios 5!!!

http://www.macstories.net/tutorials/ios-5-tips-tricks-hidden-features/

Lighting57
03-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Don't laugh at me, but if I buy an IPad can I use it with my home DSL signal or do I have to have a contract through one of the cell phone companies? I know what they are and how they are used, but that's the extent of it.

Jan in CA
03-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Don't laugh at me, but if I buy an IPad can I use it with my home DSL signal or do I have to have a contract through one of the cell phone companies? I know what they are and how they are used, but that's the extent of it.

I'd say probably, but you'd have to ask. I have cable and wifi so I've no experience there. You could ask your DSL provider. They'd probably know.

I also got the smallest cellular data contract with AT&T just to see how much I use it. I can't get wifi at the yarn store which is where I go to a social knitting group twice a week. And it'll be handy in the car for maps and such. This particular plan is 250mb for $15 a month.

However if I find I don't use it much then I'll turn it off and just turn it on when I need it like on vacation. It's easy to do through the app. It's on a 30 day plan for various amounts and it's billed to a credit card. You just turn it off before they charge your card again.

sakura-panda
03-22-2012, 09:59 AM

If your iPad has Wi-Fi, then you should be able to connect it with your home DSL if you have a wireless router.

My 1st Gen iPad is wi-fi only and I can not subscribe to a service with it since it does not have the necessary 3G hardware; it wasn't worth the extra expense for me since I would be using it mostly in places with wi-fi, like home and hotels. :)

Ronda
03-22-2012, 07:19 PM
I got one, too! It's so much fun. What knitting apps are you using? I was just searching for the Knitting Help app but I think that's just an iPhone app (I came here just now to look for it since I couldn't find it in the app store).

Ronda
03-22-2012, 07:34 PM
I found the iPad app. I was searching with a space instead of using knittinghelp - no space. Now I'm happy!

Jan in CA
03-22-2012, 08:00 PM
I think the Knitting Help app is for both iPhone and iPad.

Let's see, I have Knitting Help, knitCompanion, Raglanify, and iKnit Gauge. It's questionable whether the gauge is useful and I haven't used the other two yet. Someone else recommended them to me so I got them. knitCompanion is supposed to be awesome for charts.

I also use Good Reader (iPad) as my PDF reader. You can connect to your Ravelry library! I haven't completely explored it yet, but all my knitting friends use it as well.

Other than that I have a bunch of games and some other cool apps. What about you?

Ronda
03-22-2012, 08:28 PM
So many knitting apps! Thanks for the suggestions.

I like reading so I downloaded Nook and Kindle readers. I've downloaded a few games. I bought iPhoto but haven't used it yet. I'm not really familiar with all the apps available for iPad, so that's why I asked for suggestions. My smartphones have always been Android, so this is all new to me. I'm having so much fun. I'm a little in love with this thing.:-)

Jan in CA
03-22-2012, 10:03 PM
I have the Kindle book app, but I do have an actual Kindle so I'll probably do most of my reading on that. I get subscriptions to a few magazines and it turns out that National Geographic is free for the iPad with a paid subscription which is nice.

I'll bring mine in here later and tell you a few of the coolest apps I have. ;)

Ronda
03-23-2012, 09:05 AM
I keep looking for the "like" button, Jan! (Too much time on Facebook, I think!) I love hearing what other people use and like.

I had a link somewhere to "3 of the best cooking apps," but now I can't find it.

Ronda
03-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Oh, I forgot to reply to your comment about magazines. I subscribe to Self Magazine, and they give exclusive content to their subscribers, too. I was looking at my first online issue last night on my iPad. It was really neat. Makes the paper version rather boring!

I have a Nook Color and a Nook Tablet as well (I'm going to have to sell something!) Looking at a magazine on those is not as nice as looking at it on the iPad.

sakura-panda
03-26-2012, 12:41 PM
As far as I know, all iPhone apps work on the iPad -- they are just lower resolution. (That is part of the "charm" of the iOS ecosystem.) Unless there really is an iPad/HD version of the knittinghelp app, which I'd love to have!

I don't like using iPhone only apps because of they are so small on the screen or full of pixels when I make them 2x the size. I have an iPod touch and tend to use those apps on there. :blush: The knittinghelp app is an exception because it is easier to follow the videos on the larger screen, even at low resolution.

While I'm being honest, I use the iPhone Fisher-Price Big Foot Monster (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fisher-price-bigfoot-monster/id377041468?mt=8) app on the iPad too -- the kids prefer playing it there over the iPod even though I think it looks terrible. ;)

Going back on topic, I only have two knitting apps, neither of them are HD/iPad optimized: KnittingHelp Video Reference (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/knittinghelp-video-reference/id405889801?mt=8) and Knit Counter Lite (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/knit-counter-lite/id310821956?mt=8).

I also have Goodreader (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goodreader-for-ipad/id363448914?mt=8) for reading PDFs, but I don't save patterns to my iPad. I open patterns online as I need them and read them in Safari.

Flipboard (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flipboard/id358801284?mt=8) is awesome for social media and blogs -- it turns them into a magazine format and is my favorite way for keeping up with the blogs I follow!

Jan in CA
03-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Which iPad do you have, Katie? Even though they aren't HD I find on my iPad 3 that the text is sharp and the videos are pretty good even though they aren't HD.

I do use Good Reader because I'd rather not sit in my computer room chair at the computer. I used to print patterns all the time, but now I can see many (not all) of them right on my iPad. I'll probably be PDFing patterns now so I can use them on there! Can't wait to use the test the annotation since I always use a pencil and paper or write on my patterns.

sakura-panda
03-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Which iPad do you have, Katie? Even though they aren't HD I find on my iPad 3 that the text is sharp and the videos are pretty good even though they aren't HD.

I do use Good Reader because I'd rather not sit in my computer room chair at the computer. I used to print patterns all the time, but now I can see many (not all) of them right on my iPad. I'll probably be PDFing patterns now so I can use them on there! Can't wait to use the test the annotation since I always use a pencil and paper or write on my patterns.

I have a first generation iPad, Jan. :)

I'm tempted by the new one, but there isn't any new feature that I'm dying to get -- some that are nice to have, but none that I'm willing to upgrade for -- and I don't have any complaints about my iPad that a newer model can fix.

Except, apparently, screen resolution. :teehee:

That is one of the things that had me consider upgrading, but I really can't justify it right now. Nearly everything I currently run is already iPad optimized, so I wouldn't gain very much.

However, I may change my mind when newer apps pop up that won't work with my outdated hardware. :think:

LoveBugAngel
04-19-2012, 11:57 AM
I just switched from a blackberry to an Iphone and I loooooooooove it. I didnt think I would but now I can't ever imagine going back. Only problem I have is the battery doesn't last very long.

Jan in CA
04-19-2012, 01:05 PM
It depends on what you're doing with it. I find some games suck the life out of a battery, but others don't. Reading books on the Kindle app is easy on the battery.

Since I got an iPad I generally play games on it instead and my phone battery lasts much longer.

BTW...the link in your sig to your friends website is incorrect. I think it's .net not .com.

LoveBugAngel
04-20-2012, 09:45 AM
omg as if I put the URL incorrect! Thanks for the heads up! I've been doing the site for 10 years, you think I would know it by now haha

Jeremy
04-20-2012, 12:46 PM
We're a two IPad family and we don't really use the computer anymore at home. We read, do mail, play games, skype... you name it. Congratulations.

purple34
05-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Congrats on getting an ipad:cheering: :woohoo: :yay:

Christinechrstms1
05-09-2012, 12:48 AM
Hi, If you have a wireless router then you can just link in to your homes internet. You would only need a data plan if you want to surf the net, check email etc and are away from your home and are not in a WiFi friendly area. If you are with someone who has an Iphone they can become a "WiFi hotspot" so that you can use your IPad and access data by linking onto them. I am not sure if other smartphones have this wireless hotspot thing but it is great. I can use my laptop in the car just by enabling the hotspot app.

Jan in CA
05-09-2012, 02:16 AM
Hi, If you have a wireless router then you can just link in to your homes internet. You would only need a data plan if you want to surf the net, check email etc and are away from your home and are not in a WiFi friendly area. If you are with someone who has an Iphone they can become a "WiFi hotspot" so that you can use your IPad and access data by linking onto them. I am not sure if other smartphones have this wireless hotspot thing but it is great. I can use my laptop in the car just by enabling the hotspot app.

I know I can do that,but haven't learned how yet. There's an app for that? You need to use another device? I have an iPhone.

Right now I have a $15 a month data plan for my iPad. I turn off the data when I'm home or other wifi connection so it's been fine and that's not too much too spend for all the enjoyment I get out of it. I do want to learn about the hotspot though.

Christinechrstms1
06-02-2012, 06:31 PM
I am sorry I didn't see your reply. If you have an IPhone you shouldn't need a data plan with the Ipad as long as you have your iphone available. go to settings ( in Iphone) and click "Personal Hotspot" on. It will then show you what the password is. Then to connect your Ipad you just plug in the password when it asks if you want to connect to WiFi. I think you can have something like 10 devices hook in to your Hot Spot. I have used mine and others have as well. As long as you are within your allotted data plan eg 1 MG you should not incur further charges

Christinechrstms1
06-02-2012, 06:41 PM
I love my Iphone. It has a lot of the features that Ipad has. I really wanted an Ipad but found that it is almost as heavy as my MacBook. I read books, pay bills play scrabble Skype,and so much more with my iphone. I love it. I also have made short vacation videos with the IMovie app

margrue
07-21-2012, 05:25 PM
You need to buy a Wireless Router to use with your DSL at home. These come as cheap as $20. You can get free WiFi a lot of places now, but buying a limited monthly 3G or 4G plan ( about $15/month) will enable you to use your iPad when you are not in range of a Wi-Fii network.

Jan in CA
07-21-2012, 06:00 PM
You need to buy a Wireless Router to use with your DSL at home. These come as cheap as $20. You can get free WiFi a lot of places now, but buying a limited monthly 3G or 4G plan ( about $15/month) will enable you to use your iPad when you are not in range of a Wi-Fii network.

I do have a router and use wireless at home. I also have the $15 plan and only use it where I can't get wireless.

ArtLady1981
07-22-2012, 05:24 AM

Tntgin4118
07-23-2012, 07:53 AM

It will work with your home DSL if you have a wireless network set up. What you can't do is run a cable from your router and plug it into your iPad. Gotta have wireless.

It requires a subscription service to communicate via the cellular network (like your mobile phone uses). So if you intend to use it someplace wireless isn't available, that's sometimes handy.

I use mine most of the time on wireless. I've used it a few times on the cell network (for example, to pull up a map when we were traveling or post a picture to FB when we were vacationing).

Tntgin4118
07-23-2012, 07:58 AM
I'm so excited and having fun! It's so much easier to check the forum from my bed, the couch or wherever! :teehee:

Now to load my knitting apps on here! :yay:

LOVE my iPad! I bought the first version when it came out, then upgraded to the 2nd version (hubby is using the v1 hand-me-down). Not convinced yet to go to the v3 but watching to see what Apple comes up with for whatever is next.

I'm a gadget fan so I just love that stuff.

DavidSydney63
09-30-2012, 11:25 PM
I had a 2 (which I sold to a friend) and now have a 3. I love it, such a great screen.

Jan in CA
10-01-2012, 12:43 AM
I had a 2 (which I sold to a friend) and now have a 3. I love it, such a great screen.

It is! I love mine and am using right now. :lol: I may see about getting a keyboard eventually. This two finger typing is for the birds. :zombie:

Lighting57
10-02-2012, 12:14 PM
So, if I understand correctly, the iPad will receive a wireless signal anywhere there is free internet or my home DSL? I would not have to purchase a plan through my cellphone carrier?

How about, the Kindles or other (don't know what they are called) that you download books onto? I'm guessing they have a wifi receiver too.

Can you tell that I am far behind in keeping up with new technology?

Would it make better sense to buy an iPad that allows for downloading books onto? Is there such a device?

Jan in CA
10-02-2012, 02:35 PM
So, if I understand correctly, the iPad will receive a wireless signal anywhere there is free internet or my home DSL? I would not have to purchase a plan through my cellphone carrier?

How about, the Kindles or other (don't know what they are called) that you download books onto? I'm guessing they have a wifi receiver too.

Would it make better sense to buy an iPad that allows for downloading books onto? Is there such a device?

Yes, they all have wifi so you can use it at home, Barnes and Noble, Starbucks, or wherever there is free wifi. No need to purchase a separate plan unless you want to use it someplace that doesn't have wifi and you can also get short term plans for traveling directly from your iPad.. It's cheaper to buy the iPad w/o 4G, but if you ever want the option you need to get the one with 4G.

Some Kindles have 3G, some are only wifi. Mine has both and when I get a new one I won't bother with it. The device holds so many books that you can get them before you go somewhere. I've always got a bunch in queue. Lol I prefer reading on my Kindle to the iPad. iPads are fairly heavy to hold up for any length of time as you would for a book. Also the ipad reflects so its not good outside whereas the kindle is awesome. I do have a Kindle app if I want to though. There are other book readers. The main two are Kindle and Nook (Barnes and Noble). I don't know much about Nook, but they are basically the same thing.

When I get a new Kindle I'm getting the Kindle Paperwhite! Hope to order it soon.

sakura-panda
10-03-2012, 03:11 PM

Jan answered most of your questions, I think.

If a device has wi-fi or is wi-fi enabled, that means that you can use it anywhere that there is wi-fi available, such as your home, if you have a wireless router, or a restaurant, hotel room, bookstore, that offer it. You are limited to places that allow you to connect your device to their network.

It is not the same as the 3G/4G/LTE services that are provided by cellphone carriers and have to be paid for. If you do not want to depend on wi-fi availability, then you want the device with the 3G/4G/LTE hardware and a service plan to go with it.

(I prefer wi-fi only; for me the extra hardware is an unnecessary expense.)

Some wi-fi networks are restricted or secure and you need a password to get onto them. Most of the time, "free wi-fi" is unsecure and you should be careful what kind of data you send and receive. It may be fine, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious.

I'm confused about this part of your post:

The way an iPad works is that you purchase (mostly for free) applications ("apps") to run on them. These apps can be managed by directly plugging your iPad into your computer and using iTunes. You can also use iTunes to download books, movies, music and whatever other content you want onto your iPad.

I have not figured out if you can download this type of content using iCloud; I always just manage my iPad when it is plugged in and don't send anything to it when it is not.

If you have an app like Dropbox, you can download files to your iPad wirelessly and then open them with a reader app, such as BlueFire Reader (epub & PDF), GoodReader (PDF), or iBooks (epub). You can also import books directly onto your device using book reading apps that are tied to online stores such Amazon (Kindle), Barnes & Noble (Nook), Apple (iBooks) or Kobo (Kobo).

I hope that helps. I don't do much reading on my iPad, because I find it too heavy to hold for more than a few minutes at a time and I have a dedicated ebook reader that I prefer to use. (Sony T1. I have a Kindle Keyboard too, but prefer the Sony. Both are wi-fi only, although I'm pretty sure the Sony does not have a cellular option.)

Lighting57
10-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Thank you for replying. You and Jan have answered my questions well. I think I would prefer a Kindle or Nook if downloading books. I was confusing a tablet with the iPad. I am not up to date on all of this new stuff.

Jan in CA
10-03-2012, 03:58 PM
An iPad IS a tablet. I do almost everything on it... I read news, FB, forums, play games like Words with Friends, keep my ongoing shopping list, read email, etc. My shopping list syncs with my phone so I always have it when I'm shopping.

About the only thing I don't do at all is read books. If I have to type a long email or post then then I will go to the computer otherwise I'm on it like some people use a laptop.

Lighting57
10-03-2012, 09:59 PM
I did admit that I was not savvy about this stuff. Thanks.

Jan in CA
10-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Trying again.... Okay, I'm an old geek, but we all had to learn sometime! :hug:

Lighting57
10-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Another question please. I would want to use the tablet just as I do my laptop when on line. Are a lot of the things that you download free or do most of them charge a fee? How do you keep an ongoing shopping list? I would be using free wi-fi and not buying a cell service.

Jan in CA
10-05-2012, 03:35 PM
There are thousands of apps and many, but not all are free. The KH one for instance is $10, but it's worth it. All the videos here are also on the app, plus lots of info. That being said most apps that you have to pay for are in the 99 cents to $5 range. I have many paid apps because it was worth it to me to get rid of the ads. Many apps often have two versions, one free and one paid.

Shopping... I use an app called Grocery IQ because i can add something on the list on my iPad and it syncs with my iPhone so my list is always with me. If you don't have an iPhone I'm not sure if using the app would be beneficial for you. I'll have to look later. The notepad would also work well for lists. You can send your list to your printer. I have a wireless printer so I'm not sure if they all work.

I think there are free versions of the games I play. I have paid ones (most were 99 cents) because I didn't want ads.

It works pretty well for surfing the web, etc. Typing is a pain, but just searching and reading is no big deal. When I get a chance in a few min I'll list my most used apps.

Jan in CA
10-05-2012, 06:30 PM
You can look all these up on iTunes w/o buying, but you can see what they are. These are the ones I use regularly or use when I need them.

What's On? - TV show schedule
Social apps - Pinterest and Facebook
Kayak - travel like fare checking, flight tracker
Fandango - movies, see what's on in my local theater
IMDb - Internet Movie Database to check actors info, etc.
News/weather - Weather Channel, ABC News, Time
Gas Buddy - find lowest price for gas
Grocery IQ - my Target, grocery list
Games- Angry Birds, Words with Friends, Hanging with Friends, Solitaire, Bejeweled and others, but these are used the most
Knitting apps- Knitting Help, Raglanify (make your own pattern), Yarn Genie
Good Reader - Read PDFs..I most use for patterns
Dropbox - Read PDFs, etc... look this one up online it does too much
San Diego Zoo - Seriously...I watch the new baby panda!

Okay there are a bunch more, but I guess I check these most... I think besides my mail and Safari. iPad isn't for everyone and you have to take the good with the bad like the typing issue. It's not heavy, but heavy enough it can be hard to hold. I tend to put it in my lap or against my bent knees. It's easier on a laptop, but I love my apps that make it easy to do the things I love. You can check them out at Best Buy and other electronic stores which is the best thing to do before you buy one. I got mine at Best Buy actually.

Ask if you have more questions.

Lighting57
10-06-2012, 01:36 PM
I see people using these in the grocery stores. Would they need service through a cell plan in order to use them there or do most grocery stores now have wi-fi that the public can access?

I want to buy a tablet and we have DSL in the house, but I won't be able to pay for a monthly fee as well just to use it in places that don't have the free wi-fi. It would be great to find out that most grocery stores have free access, because I'm sure I would use one when shopping.

Jan in CA
10-06-2012, 01:55 PM
IMO it's a little heavy for grocery shopping, but I guess it could sit in the carts seat!

You know, I have no idea if grocery stores have free wifi, but I kinda don't think most would. You can call and ask them. More places are getting it, but a big store would require a lot of bandwidth which is a lot of money.

Type in "free wifi" with the name of your city and while that probably isn't a complete list it's a start. Looks like mostly coffee shops, hotels, a few fast food, Barnes and Noble...

I just tried for mine and came up with a list, but there were no grocery stores on it. I might try different cities nearby, too.
http://www.openwifispots.com/

Lighting57
10-08-2012, 09:03 AM
How long does the battery last, on average, before it has to be replaced?

sakura-panda
10-08-2012, 11:12 AM
I see people using these in the grocery stores. Would they need service through a cell plan in order to use them there or do most grocery stores now have wi-fi that the public can access?

It depends on the app -- some apps you use right on the tablet, without accessing anything online, in which case you don't need to worry about wifi or cellular service.

Like Jan, I'm surprised that people would tote around iPads while grocery shopping, but obviously they are doing something that works for them.

This site: http://appshopper.com/ can help you see what apps are available and how much they cost. There is a search box on the right side. It gives you cost, descriptions, and screenshots of what the apps look like. It may be a bit overwhelming, but it would give you an idea what is out there.

How long does the battery last, on average, before it has to be replaced?

I have the original iPad and I'm still using the original battery. The only iDevice that I've had to replace a battery on what my original iPod Nano; however, that ended up getting recalled (and replaced) due to a battery issue. Batteries in Apple devices seem to last a very long time. Sorry I can't help much with that.

Jan in CA
10-08-2012, 12:54 PM
That's true about some apps. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Most of the ones you'd use in a grocery store don't require service at all. Some of the apps say you don't need to be connected, but some don't.

As for a battery.. mine is new obviously and my iPhone is 1.5 yrs. My daughter has had apple products for quite a while and she's never mentioned replacing batteries. I think that most batteries last a long time and if they do need replacing some of them are not replaceable in apple products. Never been an issue with anyone I know. :shrug: