PDA

View Full Version : Tips on designing crocheted blanket squares?

Mokume
04-21-2012, 10:18 PM
Hello, I'm trying to design squares for a large crocheted bed covering, and as my brief web searches didn't find any advice specific to designing squares, I'm asking if the friendly knit-wits here had any general advice. :)

I've looked at a number of patterns for squares and borders, tried some out, and am making practice squares to test colors, patterns, and yarns (I've attached a couple 'sketches', but I'm still experimenting with the details). I'm thinking of having four squares that are crocheted into a larger square, and these large squares are joined with a simple border into the finished blanket.

My basic concern is am I making or likely to make some fundamental mistake in my approach? If I make a practice four-square, and it still looks fine after being washed, should I consider myself good to go?

salmonmac
04-22-2012, 05:59 AM
Your plan sounds reasonable. Will the size of the finished cover made from the squates be the correct dimensions for the bed?
More squares lengthwise than across the width? I like the idea of joining into larger squares which are then seamed.
Your crocheted squares are lovely and will make a beautiful finished cover.

Mokume
04-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Since I'm still experimenting with the squares, I don't know the finished size yet, but I can always add extra border rows if I need them to be larger.
I may have the flower-patterned squares only on the top of the bed, and do a simple granny square or something similar for the sides, for better draping.

Antares
04-24-2012, 12:31 PM
I would recommend measuring your squares (the small ones that will be combined to make a larger square) periodically to make sure you're still at the proper gauge. It's much easier to fix a small square that's not to gauge than one that has four parts!

There are lots of granny square motifs out there (including triangles and rectangles and a myriad of flowers), so if you think you'll want other types of motifs, you can do a search for "granny square motifs" to see what comes up.

Lovely swatches so far. I hope you'll get to use them in the finished project!

Mokume
05-08-2012, 08:15 PM
In case anyone's curious, I've settled on a design, and started making squares.
Here's hoping I don't get hit with designer's remorse along the way:

Antares
05-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Love your design and colors! :thumbsup:

salmonmac
05-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Those are lovely squares with a wonderfull, spring-like feel to the design. It'll be fun to see the whole cover.