PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Supplies Case

insanenewknitter
04-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Hello Ladies,

I'm looking for some suggestions. I am designing a case for knitting accessories, and was wondering what qualities you would look for in a case. Certain pockets for certain items, etc.
Any suggestions are most welcome!

knitcindy
04-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Well, I will tell you what I'd like to have:

1. Elastic band sewn in places to hold needles - and different sized 'holes' for scissors and other odd-shaped items
2. Open pockets
3. Pockets with a snap flap or velcro closure - to keep stray items from falling out
4. Make the pockets clear so we can see what's in them
5. Zipper pockets
6. Pockets of different sizes
7. Slit-type pocket to stick my current pattern in
8. Have a zipper around the outside edge. When it's unzipped, it would open in the center like a book
9. Make it in bright colors so it's easier to find when stuffed down in the bottom of my knitting bag

hope that helps!
knitcindy

insanenewknitter
04-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Sounds good.
When I finish, you get a free one! :)

knitcindy
04-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks "insane"!!! Let me tell you, it's extremely frustrating to look at all sorts of bags/carriers/holders and discover that they're almost perfect EXCEPT for just 1 or 2 things!!!

I have been searching for the "perfect knitting bag" for awhile now and still haven't found it! What I have found is a lot of "almost perfect" ones that I will use instead!!

Same thing with supplies pouches! I found a zipper one @ Office Max for less than $2.00 and it's currently working out well enough. It's roughly 8 1/2" by 11" and is supposed to fit into a 3 ring binder. It's ok for right now, but I anticipate the zipper breaking in the not-to-distant future.

Good luck with your designing!!!
knitcindy

bambi
04-27-2012, 06:27 PM
oh, perhaps snaps instead of velcro closures. Velcro snags yarn if the yarn gets caught.

Antares
04-30-2012, 10:01 AM
I would recommend putting in three ring binders or some other locking/unlocking mechanism to hold things such as pouches. That way you can take out the stuff that breaks (such as see-through plastic pouches).

I made a crochet case from a zip closed daytimer that I really love! Here's a link to a post about it: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102219&highlight=crochet+binder

It's not all that pretty as I'm not a very good seamstress, but it's small, holds everything, is well organized, and can be zipped closed so I don't lose stuff.

I've considered using a large daytimer to make something similar for my knitting stuff. I know you want to knit something, but perhaps this layout will give you some good ideas!

fatoldladyinpjs
05-01-2012, 06:42 AM
Something that's crushproof in case you accidentally sit on it. Ask me how I know.

Woodi
05-01-2012, 09:33 AM
I made an interesting one years ago, using a placemat and a lot of ziploc bags.

Let's see if I can remember (or find it!)

1. Sew a piece of grosgrain ribbon straight across the narrow middle of your placemat
2. Line up several ziploc see-through bags atop this ribbon, and machine-sew their ends along the ribbon. You can use both large and small ziplocs.
3. Maybe you do this step first....Sew a strong, 2-piece zipper across both narrow ends of the placemat - so when you zip it closed, it creates your needlebag, with ziploc bags inside.