PDA

View Full Version : FO: Watermelon potholder

fatoldladyinpjs
05-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Here's a watermelon potholder I just finished. I'm learning how to crochet.

dturner
05-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Very cute! I've been trying to learn how to crochet, too, but you've made a lot more progress than I have!

justplaincharlotte
05-13-2012, 11:47 PM
That came out just marvelous! :yay:

I loved making those when I crocheted!

If you have yellows, greens, or orange yarns, you can make lemon, lime & orange slices with the same pattern too!

Jan in CA
05-13-2012, 11:56 PM
That is really cute!!

GrumpyGramma
05-14-2012, 02:25 AM
Wow! That's great. OK, you're sure you're just learning to crochet? Seriously, I know you've not been at it long but that looks like you have been. Well done!
:yay: :cheering:

salmonmac
05-14-2012, 06:00 AM
That's adorable and very professional. I love the picture too.

nonny2t
05-14-2012, 08:49 AM
How cute, cute, cute is that! I love it.

fatoldladyinpjs
05-14-2012, 09:29 AM
Very cute! I've been trying to learn how to crochet, too, but you've made a lot more progress than I have!

These are two video tutorials I've used that have been a great help. The one lady posted these Youtube tutorials for a friend she was teaching to crochet. The gal had a stroke and couldn't remember what she had taught so she gave her something to refer to. The other one is by Mikey. He's a great teacher. He did a series of tutorials for Curtzy Crochet Hooks. This is the first one and they autoplay in order. Ignore the part about signing up in your email. All the videos are complete right here. I knew how to crochet before. My mother taught me but I didn't do anything fancy and it had been a while before I picked up a hook. This was a good refresher and helped me iron out the details like which stitch do you crochet at the end of a row and how to crochet a circle.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC34718A4457A8AE4&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8bMcF26f_E&list=PL69F5A7FE3F95232F&index=1&feature=plpp_video

insanenewknitter
05-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Oh, I love it!!!! :inlove:
I never got the hang of crocheting. I need to though!!!!
You are very, very talented!!!!!

Antares
05-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Oh, how cute. And it brings back such good memories for me--not only of the watermelon potholders I saw as a kid, but also of watermelons--YUM!

You may be a "new again" crocheter, but you seem to be excelling at it!

fatoldladyinpjs
05-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Oh, how cute. And it brings back such good memories for me--not only of the watermelon potholders I saw as a kid, but also of watermelons--YUM!

You may be a "new again" crocheter, but you seem to be excelling at it!

I can't say enough for the crochet tutorials that are out there. I'm especially grateful to Mikey. He answers all the questions a beginning crocheter has and helps a great deal. I've been able to get better at it in a hurry by watching those Curtzy tutorials. You can stop the video and replay it as many times as you need to. If you miss a part, you can drag the ball on the bottom back to the left and redo that section. It's especially helpful if you're watching and one of the kids interupts or if you didn't hear it. I would suggest that these videos be watched in full screen mode. You can see what they're doing so much better. Mikey has his own Youtube account at Mikeysmail. He's part of The Crochet Crowd. You can google them and get fabulous patterns and KALs using all kinds of ordinary and exotic yarn. The ruffled scarf tutorials were fantastic.

Antares
05-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the links and the recommendations. I'm a long-time crocheter, so I probably won't watch them myself. However, I often try to teach people to crochet. If I can't get through to them, I now have a couple of good resources available that might help. :happydance:

ArtLady1981
05-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Oh it is so adorable! When I was young...me and my friends used to make a full set of fruity potholders. By changing the color of the center, you can make lemons, limes and oranges, too! I used to crochet 4-pc sets and sell them at the swapmeet in our town. They sold like crazy!

Thanks for posting your beautiful watermelon!

livn4them
05-16-2012, 06:20 AM
Great!!!!

Olha
05-19-2012, 05:28 PM
That's cute and appetizing for the kitchen :)

MerigoldinWA
05-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Good job, fatoldladyinpjs! It's a nice thing to know both knit and crochet, they work together in a quite a few patterns as well.

Tamar Dohel
05-27-2012, 04:51 AM
Lovely! Good work.

Thanks for sharing :muah:

dreamsherl
05-28-2012, 02:55 PM
So cute.

dturner
05-28-2012, 09:05 PM
These are two video tutorials I've used that have been a great help. The one lady posted these Youtube tutorials for a friend she was teaching to crochet. The gal had a stroke and couldn't remember what she had taught so she gave her something to refer to. The other one is by Mikey. He's a great teacher. He did a series of tutorials for Curtzy Crochet Hooks. This is the first one and they autoplay in order. Ignore the part about signing up in your email. All the videos are complete right here. I knew how to crochet before. My mother taught me but I didn't do anything fancy and it had been a while before I picked up a hook. This was a good refresher and helped me iron out the details like which stitch do you crochet at the end of a row and how to crochet a circle.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC34718A4457A8AE4&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8bMcF26f_E&list=PL69F5A7FE3F95232F&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Thank you for the links! I will definitely take a look at them. So many people have told me that crochet is easier to learn than knitting, but I just haven't really been able to get the hang of it. Your potholder looks great!

Puddinpop
05-30-2012, 10:01 AM
That is so cute. Very nicely done.

fatoldladyinpjs
05-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Here's another good one. I've added Emmy to my Youtube subscriptions.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL166DA68A2E700BDB&feature=plcp