PDA

View Full Version : FO: a DISHIE kitchen set

ArtLady1981
05-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Well, this isn't exactly an exciting FO to anyone but me...but thought I'd post it anyway! There are a lot of kitchen knitters out there, eh?

I knit up this DISHIE (http://www.knitpicks.com/cfyarns/yarn_display.cfm?ID=5420207) kitchen set while watching American Idol with my daughter last night.
Simple things like this kitchen set are very agreeable to TV-watching and chatting (more like hooping and hollering!) with my daughter about American Idol! :teehee:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8152/7223534120_48a38b6547.jpg

I really like KnitPicks cotton: DISHIE (http://www.knitpicks.com/cfyarns/yarn_display.cfm?ID=5420207). Good price for 190yd ball! Lots of colors, too!
Anyway, this color is TOMATO. DISHIE strands aren't as thick as Sugar-and-Cream cotton,
but IMHO, it's a nicer quality. I'm anxious to see how DISHIE washes-and-dries over
multiple times. Sugar-and-Cream fades terribly, and gets tired looking too fast for my liking.

Here's the lowdown:

For the 8.5" x 8.5" dishcloth: using one strand of Dishie cotton and US7, cast on 40st.
Garter stitch for 36 ridges. This made the dishcloth 'square' for me. Bind off loosely.

For the 4" x 3.5" scrubbie: using a US10.75/7.0mm> hold two strands of Dishie cotton and a 3” width of nylon netting, cast on 11st. Garter stitch for 10 ridges. Bind off loosely.
(BTW: a US11 needle would be just as good. But not smaller than 7.0mm)

This scrubbie pattern is a departure from my normal scrubbies which are 16st cast on and 11 garter ridges tall. This smaller size (red) scrubbie was an accident. I had the number 11 in my mind…and cast on that number (shoulda cast on 16). I got underway and realized that this scrubbie was too small. But in the end, I didn’t frog it. I like the smaller scrubbie. Lot less work, too. Knitting more than one scrubbie at a time is super hard on the hands.

This scrubbie is different in another way, too. I used the full 3” width nylon netting right off the spool (instead of cutting it into 1.5” strips) and held two strands of Dishie together with it (instead of one strand of Dishie).

The final outcome is a very tough little scrubbie, and I quite like it!
The dishcloth: first time knitting such a large dishcloth. I haven’t used it yet, but I do think I’ll like it, too.

Nylon Netting can be purchased by the 3" w x 40 yds roll here (http://www.knitsandbitsbylinda.com/nylon-netting.html)
I like the proprietor, and you can trust that she'll take care of you in a first class way!

salmonmac
05-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Love the dishy tomato scrubbie and cloth. just the thing to light up the kitchen.

Antares
05-18-2012, 10:26 PM
I love things that are both beautiful and useful--and these are both. Thanks for sharing these pictures and your notes.

Jan in CA
05-19-2012, 12:47 AM
Sugar-and-Cream fades terribly, and gets tired looking too fast for my liking.

[/quote]

I agree. I don't use it anymore at all. I make them from Tahki Cotton Classic. I'll be watching to see how the Dishie holds up. That red is really pretty!

ArtLady1981
05-19-2012, 02:02 AM
I agree. I don't use it anymore at all. I make them from Tahki Cotton Classic. I'll be watching to see how the Dishie holds up. That red is really pretty!I'll have to look into the Tahki Cotton Classic. How does it stack up pricewise?

DISHIE is $3.99 for 190yds. (dk weight)

Edited to add: WEBS pricing> Tahki Cotton Classic is $6.50 for 108yds (dk weight)

I'll definitely report back, and let you know how the vibrant TOMATO color holds up, and how the yarn looks, too. (if it gets old and saggy looking...or holds its shape)

Jan in CA
05-19-2012, 02:45 AM
Yes, the Tahki is expensive by comparison. However, the color stays pretty bright and the number of colors is amazing. I have about 7 or 8 dishcloths and change them every couple days so overall it seems worth it to me. It's much more fun to knit something that you know won't fade and stain horribly within a short time. I mix and match them with bright Target dishtowels. :thumbsup:

dturner
05-19-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm so glad that you posted these. I really like the tomato color! Yes, please let us know how well the colors hold up. I haven't ordered any Dishie yarn yet, but you are right, it's a great value!

lgoddard
05-19-2012, 12:43 PM
I would love to hear the feed back on whether this fades like the other cottons I have used. They look too worn out way too soon. The bright color of this one is great!