PDA

View Full Version : Question about knitting on circular needles

deann
07-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Hello,

I am knitting a regular patter that does NOT call for knitting in the round. But am using circs, but one question: how do I determing wrong side and right side, like how do I know what is purled, etc.

Thank you.

suzeeq
07-12-2012, 10:22 PM
If you knit one row and purl a row, you can look at the sts on the needles when you start a new row. If they all have bumps those are purls and the wrong side, if they look like Vs around the needle, they're knits and it's the right side. Take a look at the videos and pictures in this thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94500)to help you identify the sts.

Jan in CA
07-13-2012, 12:19 AM
That is stockinette. One of the most important things you can learn is what the stitches look like. You'll use it all the time. :)

deann
07-13-2012, 12:45 AM
That is stockinette. One of the most important things you can learn is what the stitches look like. You'll use it all the time. :)

I know all about stockinette. So what is it called when you purl the knits and knit the purs??

Jan in CA
07-13-2012, 01:09 AM
I know all about stockinette. So what is it called when you purl the knits and knit the purs??

If you just do that occasionally in a pattern it might create a design or even seed or moss stitch depending on how you do it. Is that what you mean?

fatoldladyinpjs
07-13-2012, 07:45 AM
If you're using circular needles in the round with the ends joined into a circle, you'll just knit all around on every row. That automatically makes stockinette and you don't have to turn it or purl. It sounds like you're using a circular needle like you would regular ones and knitting back and forth. Then you'll knit the right side rows and purl the wrong side row. Your knit stitch will look like little V's. Your purl stitches will look like the neck on a turtle neck sweater. That's how you tell them apart. Knitting is generally done on the right side rows and purling on the wrong side rows. It's easy to figure out whether you're on a right or a wrong side row. If you're following a pattern, your odd numbered rows will be your right side rows and your even numbered rows will be your wrong side rows. Most of the time, unless you have a special cast on, your tail will be on the right when you're on a right side (knit) row and the tail will be on the left if you're on a wrong (or purl) side row. Hope this helps you.

suzeeq
07-13-2012, 09:40 AM
So what is it called when you purl the knits and knit the purs??

It depends on how many sts you do. If it's across a whole row it could be garter stitch, for individual sts on one row it'll be seed/moss stitch. The Tips page has videos on basic stitch patterns - stockinette, rib, seed and garter.

deann
07-14-2012, 01:59 AM
If you just do that occasionally in a pattern it might create a design or even seed or moss stitch depending on how you do it. Is that what you mean?

Yes thank you!!

deann
07-14-2012, 02:01 AM
If you're using circular needles in the round with the ends joined into a circle, you'll just knit all around on every row. That automatically makes stockinette and you don't have to turn it or purl. It sounds like you're using a circular needle like you would regular ones and knitting back and forth. Then you'll knit the right side rows and purl the wrong side row. Your knit stitch will look like little V's. Your purl stitches will look like the neck on a turtle neck sweater. That's how you tell them apart. Knitting is generally done on the right side rows and purling on the wrong side rows. It's easy to figure out whether you're on a right or a wrong side row. If you're following a pattern, your odd numbered rows will be your right side rows and your even numbered rows will be your wrong side rows. Most of the time, unless you have a special cast on, your tail will be on the right when you're on a right side (knit) row and the tail will be on the left if you're on a wrong (or purl) side row. Hope this helps you.

YES!!! That's exactly what I was asking. Thanks so much.

fatoldladyinpjs
07-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Many people, including myself, use circular needles for everything. I use them for knitting socks in the round and for knitting back and forth like making a blanket. I like them because they are lightweight and don't put a strain on my hands and arms. They are shorter so they won't poke people sitting next to you when you're knitting. They're also attached so you're not digging a needle out of the sofa cushions.

ChatyKathy
07-14-2012, 10:00 PM
I agree since I started using circular needles I dont lose as many or worry as much about losing them when I take my knitting with me anywhere. I use mine for everything...

deann
07-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Many people, including myself, use circular needles for everything. I use them for knitting socks in the round and for knitting back and forth like making a blanket. I like them because they are lightweight and don't put a strain on my hands and arms. They are shorter so they won't poke people sitting next to you when you're knitting. They're also attached so you're not digging a needle out of the sofa cushions.

Thats what I was wondering. So you use them for all projects, not only the ones knit in the round. It is less cumbersome, finding needles counting, etc. I will just have to get used to it. That and I bought a ton of straight needles. lol

Jan in CA
07-14-2012, 11:54 PM
I think the only straight needles I have anymore are DPN.