PDA

View Full Version : Easy cap pattern....?

AmyNW
07-22-2012, 06:36 PM
I'm a fairly new knitter - I've only been knitting for a month or two. I would like to venture out and try to knit a baby cap. I found a pattern for a cap that you knit flat and then seam it up. I've also looked at some that you knit in the round, which really intimidates me since I've never tried that. Does anyone have a go-to pattern for someone wanting to knit their first cap? And do you recommend knitting flat and seaming or knitting in the round for a relatively new knitter?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Amy

suzeeq
07-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Knitting in the round isn't as hard as you think, but you might need to do it with dpns or a long circular to make a magic loop for a baby hat. That could be awkward when you're not used to it.

salmonmac
07-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Well you could try the pattern you have for the hat knit back and forth but knitting in the round isn't difficult and it's a very useful skill. There are several different ways to do it, double pointed needles, magic loop, 2 circular needles, for example. And when you finish, there's no seam to sew up. Here is one of the many patterns to look at:
http://knittygrittythoughts.typepad.com/knitty_gritty_thoughts/2010/05/free-easy-peasy-leftover-sock-newborn-hat.html
and there's a video (http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques) on circular knitting on the Free Videos tab

Welcome to KH and enjoy knitting!

Jan in CA
07-22-2012, 08:23 PM
It does seem scary, but it's one of those things that seem harder than the are. Same with cables.

bevq
07-23-2012, 08:52 AM
I like this one. Most of what I make is for hospitals these days and they LOVE this pattern because it fits so many sized baby heads--nice and stretchy.
Use the 2nd pattern on the page for knitting in the round:

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bevs-baby-ribs-hat.html

:muah:
Bev

Tntgin4118
07-23-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm a fairly new knitter - I've only been knitting for a month or two. I would like to venture out and try to knit a baby cap. I found a pattern for a cap that you knit flat and then seam it up. I've also looked at some that you knit in the round, which really intimidates me since I've never tried that. Does anyone have a go-to pattern for someone wanting to knit their first cap? And do you recommend knitting flat and seaming or knitting in the round for a relatively new knitter?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Amy

I'm also a fairly new knitter and had that same seam up pattern in mind for my first try. I opted to take on the challenge of DPNs instead. I'm very pleased with the results (and if I can do it, I'm sure you can too!). My next hat adventure is to give the Magic Loop a try. Don't let knitting in the round scare you. It's not all that difficult and opens the door to all kinds of neat patterns for the future. Here's a picture of my first try:

AmyNW
07-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks to everyone for your advice! I think I will give DPN's a try (Yikes!). And beautiful job, Tntgin4118!

KnitKath
07-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Thanks Bev
What a cute baby hat pattern. I was looking for just this type of hat to knit up quick!
Thanks again
K