PDA

View Full Version : Pattern explanation please

MrsGreyone
07-31-2012, 06:22 PM
Hi
Knitting expalnation needed please. a bit on the pattern for sleeves on a baby jumper i am doing says

'working in st st throughout inc 1 st at each end of 3rd and every foll alt 4th row....'

what does it mean by 'every foll alt 4th row' ? surely alternate 4th row is every 8th row..?? :??
i dont understand what it means me to do, can anyone translate please?
thanks

suzeeq
07-31-2012, 06:35 PM
Hmmm, yes that sounds right - every alternate 4th row would be every 8th row. It may be that other sizes have other increase rates that are different. Which pattern is it?

MrsGreyone
07-31-2012, 06:42 PM
ok, so long as it does mean every 8th row. Yes, the actuall pattern says ...every alt[alt4th, 4th, 6th] row, so as you say its for different sizes.
the pattern is BHKC 27. i'm using the pattern for a jumper but have actually not done thier pattern this time, but put a picture of a Panda on the front instead.

suzeeq
07-31-2012, 06:57 PM
Oh no, that's different - there may be commas which didn't come through so it should read "every alt [alt, 4th, 4th, 6th] row,". The first alt outside the brackets is for the smallest size and the one inside is for the next size - on those sizes the incs are every other row. For your size you do them every 4th row.

MrsGreyone
07-31-2012, 07:52 PM
ahhh!!! I get it, thank you very much. Yes it makes so much more sense now you put it like that. :) thank you very much lol

DavidSydney63
08-01-2012, 06:28 AM
I find knitting patterns terribly ambiguous, to be honest.

MrsGreyone
08-01-2012, 06:38 AM
I find knitting patterns terribly ambiguous, to be honest.

i agree, this one isnt too bad, but goes form detailed explanation as to what i means by 1 x 1 rib, to missing out commas and thus changeing the whole meaning.....