PDA

View Full Version : need help with snuggly baby speckle dk from sirdir

ninz
08-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Hi everyone,

My name is Nina and I have recently entered the world of knitting and boy do I love it!!!

I had just finished a scarf and I now am on two projects, a sock with 4 needles and a baby tank top jumper from sirdir!

In regards to the tank top I have just finished the back of it as it tells me to cast off the remaining 17 sts. After that it says FRONT and says to cast on 58.

Now this might sound silly so forgive me but do I cut off the yarn after I have casted off the back or do I carry on and cast on the 58 for the front side?

Do most patterns tell you to do the parts separately and then have them join it altogether?

Any help would be so gravely appreciated!

Thank you in advance xXx

salmonmac
08-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Hi and welcome to knitting and to Knitting Help!
Yes, you should cut the yarn after you cast off for the back. Leave about a 6 inch tail so that you can weave it in later when the pieces are put together. It's very common for patterns to be written in several pieces. But because we like to knit and not so much to sew things together, there are also patterns that are knit in one piece or just a few pieces. Good luck with the sweater and come back if you have more questions.

Ingrid
08-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Welcome!

Yes, cut the yarn, the back is done. Leave a tail to weave in later so nothing unravels.

Most patterns have some amount of seaming involved, though there are many that are knit in one piece, and some can be adapted to leave fewer seams.

ninz
08-18-2012, 10:01 AM
:woot: THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I was expecting a reply in hours lol that was super fast!

Thank you so much Ingrid and Salmonmac!!!

Now I can get on to the front yeeey!

I don't know if anyone has this pattern???.... If so, I don't see where it says how to put it together or perhaps it does I have just probably missed it or misunderstood...?

salmonmac
08-18-2012, 10:07 AM
It may have a heading called "Finishing" that will tell you to do something like seam the shoulders together and seam the front and back at the sides. Maybe you'll pick up sts around the neck and armholes. Usually there are some directions for this at the end.

suzeeq
08-18-2012, 10:08 AM
The putting together instructions will be at or near the end, usually under Finishing, where it will say how to sew the pieces.

ninz
08-18-2012, 10:52 AM
There is something that says 'To make up'... I wonder if that is the finishing? It mentions joining and also covering with damp cloths, lol this will be interesting.

Ingrid
08-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Yes, that would be the finishing. The damp cloth thing is to flatten out the pieces. It may not be absolutely necessary, depending on the yarn you're using.

ninz
08-19-2012, 02:17 AM
I'm stuck again :(

The subtitle says 'Divide for neck' it then says for the next row:
K19, turn, leave rem 20 sts on a stitch holder.

What does turn mean?

Again any help or advice would be so appreciated! XXx

salmonmac
08-19-2012, 04:38 AM
Turn is just what you always do when you get to the end of a row. Take the needle with the stitches from your right hand to your left hand and knit or purl the sts. This time you're only working 19stitches and then turning to work back on those same 19sts. Don't worry about the other 20sts (putting them on a stitch holder or some scrap yarn will keep them out of your way). You'll get to them later. Right now you're working on one side of the shoulder and neck.
You really are making progress!

ninz
08-19-2012, 06:15 AM
Thank you so much, that has helped me a lot!

Lol I have been at this tank top day and some of the night! I'm very slow at knitting!

salmonmac
08-19-2012, 06:19 AM
As long as you're enjoying knitting, slow is just fine. I'm a slow knitter myself.

Jan in CA
08-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Speed comes with practice, but I'm often slower than some people or in some situations. It doesn't matter. It's not a race. If something has a time frame you just start earlier. :thumbsup:

ninz
08-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Thank you everyone! It is so encouraging to read those words. I am very slow and I hope I get faster, I looked online on youtube video but only ended up with the yarn twisted around my fingers :)

I am actually stuck on my pattern. If anyone could advise me as to what to do, it would be so brilliant!

I have on shaping the shoulder (only the right side) The other side has a stitch holder which I think I will be working on soon.

It says:

Cast of rem 6 sts in patt. (this is what I am currently working on)
With rs facing, working on rem 20 sts, slip 1 st onto a safety pin, rejoin yarn to rem 19 sts and knit to end.

What is right-side and how do I know this? When I slip 1 onto a safety pin, is this the first one next to the neck or the one nearest to the shoulders?

Thank you in advance :)

Ingrid
08-21-2012, 09:58 PM
The right side is the outside of the sweater, the side that everyone sees.

The stitch you put on the needle is the center stitch, so near the neck.

ninz
08-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Thank you very much!!! X

ninz
08-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Can I please have some more help?

I feel very guilty as all I am ever doing is asking about such and such...

I am stuck on the neckband.

It says:

Join right shoulder seam. With rs facing, using 3 1/4mm needles pick up and knit 32 sts evenly along left side of neck, knit st left on a safety pin at centre of V, pick up and knit 32 sts evenly along right side of neck and 20 sts from 17 cast off sts at back of neck. 85 sts.

So I understand the rs facing but what do they mean by pick up and then to knit 32 sts? Do I pick up the last stitch on the seam? Also it says left side of the neck... does this mean that when I pick up the stitch I have to turn it around which then means I am knitting on the left of the neck.

So sorry about this, it just all seems so confusing to me. Perhaps I have picked something too tricky? It did say easy knit on the paper though lol

Ingrid
08-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Don't feel guilty. The site is called Knitting Help!

http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/pick-up-and-knit-stitches

Here is a video of picking up stitches.

The left side of the neck is the left side as you would wear it. Just have the rs facing you and start picking up stitches at the right-hand edge.

suzeeq
08-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Yes, we're here to help people and if you don't understand something, you need it explained.

To pick up and knit sounds like it should be 2 steps and at one time it was done that way. But it's much easier and faster if you do it in one step. The left neck is as you wear the sweater, not as you look at it. Hold the edge and pretend it's your left needle. Insert the right needle into a stitch on the edge (pick up) then wrap the yarn around it and draw through (knit). Continue around the neckline then turn and do the next row.

ninz
08-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Don't feel guilty. The site is called Knitting Help!

http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/pick-up-and-knit-stitches

Here is a video of picking up stitches.

The left side of the neck is the left side as you would wear it. Just have the rs facing you and start picking up stitches at the right-hand edge.

That video is so helpful! Thank you very much! The good thing about this is that if I make a mistake... I won't have to start again lol :-P

Thank you very much! Picking up stitches is not as hard as I thought!

ninz
08-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Yes, we're here to help people and if you don't understand something, you need it explained.

To pick up and knit sounds like it should be 2 steps and at one time it was done that way. But it's much easier and faster if you do it in one step. The left neck is as you wear the sweater, not as you look at it. Hold the edge and pretend it's your left needle. Insert the right needle into a stitch on the edge (pick up) then wrap the yarn around it and draw through (knit). Continue around the neckline then turn and do the next row.

This forum has the best members!!! It probably gets annoying after repeating the same old beginner problems but I am glad I can get help :)

Thank you so much for your help!! I am going to get started now :P

suzeeq
08-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Picking up stitches is not as hard as I thought!

Good! There's a lot in knitting that isn't as hard as you think until you try it. When it's unfamiliar, it's hard to visualize in your head, you need the stitches on the needles to figure it out sometimes.

salmonmac
08-23-2012, 07:20 PM
This forum has the best members!!! It probably gets annoying after repeating the same old beginner problems but I am glad I can get help :)

Thank you so much for your help!! I am going to get started now :P
You know we all have questions about something knitting. Answering your questions is not annoying in the least.

ninz
08-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Ok so I started buuut I am wondering if im doing it wrong. When picking up the stitches will it be from the middle of the neck and upwards? Also do i pick up the stitch that was left on a safety pin? Thank you for any help

suzeeq
08-24-2012, 09:16 AM
You start picking up at the left shoulder seam, so kind of the side back, and when you get to the stitch on the safety pin, knit it.

salmonmac
08-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Ok so I started buuut I am wondering if im doing it wrong. When picking up the stitches will it be from the middle of the neck and upwards? Also do i pick up the stitch that was left on a safety pin? Thank you for any help

The directions in your earlier post are actually quite good.
"Join right shoulder seam. With rs facing, using 3 1/4mm needles pick up and knit 32 sts evenly along left side of neck, knit st left on a safety pin at centre of V, pick up and knit 32 sts evenly along right side of neck and 20 sts from 17 cast off sts at back of neck. 85 sts. "
Just follow step by step and remember that the left side of the neck is the left side when you wear the sweater. You're almost there!

ninz
08-24-2012, 11:56 AM
I wouldn't be this far without you guys so thank you very much!

Im going to have a go and show you what I've done and perhaps someone could tell me if its right lol

ninz
08-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Feel like giving up!! I cannot do this! I need to go find someone who can actually show me what to do. I picked up 32 knits and then knitted the one of the safety pin... then it tells me to pick up 32 knits sts and then it becomes very confusing... 20 sts from 17 sts to cast off... and in total there should be 85. It obviously doesn't add up to me because I am not understanding.

So I picked and knitted 32 stitches... knitted the safety pin one... then I carried on and picked up 32... however, is this all on the same needle?

Spokaloo
08-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Don't give up! :knitting:

I've been following this thread and you're doing great! Especially for it only being ...what... you're second project?

You do need to switch to double pointed or circular needles to do the neckline. These may seem a little daunting at first, but once you figure out how to use them, I'm sure you'll be a pro! And there are videos here on KnittingHelp.com to help you. (Double pointed and circular needles allow you to knit "in the round" instead of "flat" -- i.e., back and forth).

Once you have the double pointed or circular needles, the rest should make more sense. You'll just pick up 32 sts along the left neck, knit the center stitch (on the safety pin), pick up 32 sts along the right neck and 20 sts along the back neck. If you're confused by the reference to "the 17 sts cast off", don't be. Just pick up those 17 sts and squeeze in 3 more somewhere and you'll have it!

From there, you should be in good shape! :thumbsup: But if you still have questions -- and who doesn't! -- you know where we are! :happydance:

ninz
08-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Thank you!

I knitted and purled a scarf which was great as it helped me to understand the basics of knitting. This is my second project and I have learnt so much from this. I always thought knitting was too hard for me but now that I have made the front and back, I feel quite proud of myself :)

My pattern doesn't mention circular needles in the section where they tell you all the things you need. I have never used these before and you are probably right about using them. I will have a look at my craft store tomorrow!

I unfortunately have a question lol...

So I understand that you pick up 32 sts then knit the middle...then pck up another 32, that is is all fine.

Its the 20 and 17 that I do not uunderstand...

In total I would have 64 stitches... How do I get the 20 sts? And when it's casting off 17 sts, it mentions the back of the neck. I am pretty confused as to where it is (silly I know!)

One thing though... I have a friend who is doing the same pattern and has only started, least I can help when the time arises lol:mrgreen:

Antares
08-24-2012, 04:22 PM
You need to pick up 20 stitches total across the 17--so you add in 3 extra stitches. Usually you space these out evenly across the total length (in your case over the 17 stitches).

Here's a video about picking up stitches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmy0vZkiqQU&feature=related

At about the 2:16 mark, the man talks about picking up two stitches per "row" (sic)--actually it's not per row it's more like per "column."

See if this helps answer your question.

suzeeq
08-24-2012, 04:41 PM
It's going to be fine. Pick up 32 on the Left side of the neck, knit the center one, then pick up 32 on the right side of the neck. That's 65 and with the 20 along the back neck that makes 85 total. There's only 17 sts on the back neck but you need 20, so you'll have to add 3 more as you pick up along it. On the first st of the neck, pick up one in each 'leg' of the top chain where you bound off, instead of through both of them, pick up in 8 stitches, then do a double pickup in the next one, pick up in the next 8 stitches and do another double pick in the last stitch.

You will knit all these stitches 'flat', back and forth in rows, but because of the curve of the neck it'll be a lot easier to do it on a circular needle.