PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to use the same yarn as pattern?

ninz
08-30-2012, 10:05 AM
I have almost finished my baby tank top which I feel very proud of!! My first proper project!! :woot:

My grandmother as seen me working on it and was so pleased as she had never learnt to knit. She has asked me to make her a short sleeve cardigan but only if I have time... Why not?? lol

So I have chosen this pattern... http://www.deramores.com/panelled-cardigans-in-wendy-supreme-luxury-cotton-dk-5535

I have no idea how hard it is and I just realised it might have been better to ask on here but I have already purchased the pattern!

Problem is... I do not like the colour yarn that they suggest, the DK cotton sunflower... I looked at the other colours and I am not keen on those either.

My question is, can I choose a different yarn? Long as its cotton and DK? Does it have to be what the pattern suggests?

Thank you in advance!!!:heart:

suzeeq
08-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Absolutely you can use a different yarn and/or color. The important part is using a similar fiber and weight as you've figured out.

Arielluria
08-30-2012, 12:19 PM
I have almost NEVER used the same yarn. Have fun with it!

fatoldladyinpjs
08-30-2012, 10:10 PM
I rarely use the kind called for in the pattern, unless it's already in my stash. You can easily substitute. Does anybody know, is DK weight a British thing? Maybe we lead a sheltered life here or something. I've never seen DK weight yarn in any of the stores. What yarn number would this be? A #3 sport, #5 bulky? Is this in between the weights?

suzeeq
08-30-2012, 10:26 PM
DK is a light worsted, heavier than sport weight though they can be substituted. Go to a yarn store instead of Joanns (HL, Michaels, AC Moore, whatever) because the craft stores have very little dk. It's label gauge is knit on size 6s.