PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything you'd like to see included on this site?

amy
11-05-2004, 03:30 AM
Suggestions are welcome!

humblestumble
11-06-2004, 05:02 PM
I would like to see a slightly pulled back video of how to hold the yarn in both hands becaus I don't know how. I've developed my own way and the way you do the continental method makes it look sooo much faster! :D

amy
11-06-2004, 06:07 PM
I've been thinking of redoing the basic knit and purl videos, slower, with audio instructions, and tips. I'll be sure to include a good distance shot!

It should be up, within a few days, if the weather cooperates. (I need a sunny day, for good lighting!)

humblestumble
11-07-2004, 11:31 PM
i think that"s a spendid thing to do :D

amy
11-08-2004, 02:26 AM
Ohhhh, today was such a perfect video-shooting type day. So warm and sunny! (It had to be close to 70 degrees. Here in New England! In November!).

Alas, I had to go out of town, and couldn't shoot videos today.

amy
11-08-2004, 11:39 PM
Angela,
I re-shot the basic knitting videos today, and they're up. I need to re-do them, because I didn't get that good a shot of the yarn holding in the English Knitting video; and while I was shooting the Continental Knitting video, a lawn mower started up!
I would have re-shot them today, but then the clouds rolled in. So I'll have to wait to re-do them, and also to re-do the Basic Purl videos as I've planned...

Marnie
11-09-2004, 12:18 PM
I think some videos on fixing mistakes would be great. Dropped stitches are always intimidating to new knitters and there are a couple easy ways to fix them.

It'd also be good to have illustrated the difference between the way stitches are situated when you knit flat or in the round and discuss knitting into the leading edge instead of focusing on trying to always knit into the front loop.

:D

amy
11-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Hi Marnie!

I've been thinking of creating a "misc." page in the Basic Techniques, and including exactly that: how to pick up stitches, how to put the needle back in the work if it comes out (very basic, but no doubt useful to the beginner), and how to run a row down, to fix an error.

Your other suggestions are also right on. I'll make a note of them!

Thanks!
Amy

PS
When you say there are a couple of ways to fix a dropped stitch, do you mean a) with a crochet hook, and b) with a needle? Or do you have another clever method I don't know about?...

Marnie
11-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Hey Amy,

Regarding picking up stitches, I use one of two methods, either the crochet hook method which I find easier to use on finished garments that sprint a leak, so to speak, and using your knitting needle to hold the bottom stitch, and the bar above it, then passing the stitch over the bar and on up the run. I think those are the methods you are referencing. This topic, of course can get pretty involved since picking up decreases/increases, YOs and the like can get pretty complicated, which makes me think that maybe a brief discussion of "life lines" might be in order.

:wink:

amy
11-10-2004, 12:53 AM
Marnie,

I didn't know about using "lifelines!" Thanks for bringing it up! (That's right everyone, I'm just your average knitter, not really a super-know-it-all!)

...So, the idea seems to be (from my brief search on the web): you thread a thin, slippery yarn through the stitches (along the lines of the needle), while leaving the needle on the work. Then you continue knitting, without knitting the lifeline yarn. You can pull the lifeline out easily at any time, but it is there if you need to frog the work, so you can easily put the stitches back on the needle. ...Do I have the right idea?

Are lifelines generally only used in lace work?

Marnie
11-10-2004, 11:41 AM
Amy,
You have it exactly. People who do complex lace will put a stitch marker between each repeat of the pattern horizontally and a lifeline between each repeat of the pattern vertically. If you have every dropped a stitch in lace knitting, you know that it can be nearly impossible to rework those stitches again. A life line every pattern repeat or every X number of rows insure you only have to tear back a few rows instead of having to start fresh. I generally used undyed crochet cotton thread. I have a monster spool of it that I use for any number of purposes. It's generally fine enough not to stretch out the stitches, it won't shed or discolor your knitting and it doesn't catch on yarns when you yank it out.

feministmama
11-15-2004, 01:44 PM
I would love to see adding in a new color, either for intarsia of Fair isle or whatever. I always get big holes even after wrapping the new color around the old. I'm jsut doing something wrong. hmmm.....

amy
11-16-2004, 06:53 PM
Sure, feministmama, I'll include a video using two colors, with both methods. To work intarsia, you put down the old yarn, pick up the new yarn (usually from underneath the old yarn, so they're overlapping), and give the new yarn a tug, to prevent the hole, and then knit or purl with it. ...I'll illustrate this on the video, (when I finally have a sunny day to shoot it).

amy
11-17-2004, 02:26 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone, keep 'em coming.

You all are my beta-testers. I'll be telling a lot more people about the site soon, but I'm waiting a bit until I've made some adjustments.

amigarabita
11-19-2004, 12:32 AM
well, i would love to see this picot binding i was trying to do the other day and then just ended up improvising instead. it is probably quite simple but i wasn't getting it:

BO 2

*CO 2, BO 4* repeat to end

Kiri
11-19-2004, 01:52 AM
Since I'm just about to start a Fair Isle project, and I've never worked with more than one colour before (horizontal stripes don't really count) I would love some basic instruction videos on fair isle techniques.

I'm sure this has been said a million times, but this site is great. Keep up the good work!

-Kiri.

amy
11-19-2004, 10:44 AM
Amigarabita-- did they say which kind of CO to use? Backward loop maybe? And, I assume, Basic Knit BO....
Is there a picture somewhere I can see the results?

Kiri--I'll definitely be adding the Fair Isle technique info soon. Well, as soon as the weather cooperates! (I only shoot in sunlight, because I don't have fancy studio lighting...and it's been cloudy for two weeks! )

If you're eager to get started: the basic principle of two-handed Fair Isle knitting is to use the Continental Knitting style (by holding one color yarn in the left hand), and also the English knitting style (to hold the other color yarn in the right hand). You knit with both yarns, exactly in the ways shown in the Continental and English knitting videos, just alternating the two methods. Hold the most-used color in the hand you're most comfortable knitting with.

~Amy

amigarabita
11-20-2004, 03:10 AM
yeah, here it is:

http://www.mlminspirations.com/patterns/NearlyGloves/Gloves.html

amy
11-21-2004, 01:41 PM
I emailed Marnie, and she says she used "Knitting On" (video in Basic Techniques) to cast on. And "Basic Knit Bind-Off" (video in Basic Techniques) to BO.

Hope that helps.

Amy

Marnie
11-21-2004, 03:12 PM
Amy, you are correct. A picot Bind off, written:
BO 2, CO 2, BO 4
Would be worked like this:

Bind off two stitches in the normal way.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/videos/bo-english.avi

Now add 2 stitches by working a Cast on for 2 additional stitches. To do this, you'll need to move the one stitch on your right hand needle, back over to your left hand needle

Now repeat the next two steps until all your stitches are gone:

1. Using Amy's basic "Knitting on" cast on video:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/videos/knitting-on-english.avi
Pretend the first loop in her video is the stitch you moved back to your left hand needle. You will need to make 2 additional stitches

Bind off 4 stitches
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/videos/bo-english.avi

It sounds weird, but if you do this a few times, you'll start to see how it works.

amy
11-22-2004, 11:59 AM
FeministMama and Kiri,

I just finished a video on Fair Isle knitting. Click here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/videos/fair-isle.avi) to watch it. A couple notes about it: It shows knitting both in Continental style and English style. If you've never knit in one of these ways, it's probably best to learn it from the basic Knitting videos in the "Basic Techniques / Knit" section. That is, learn that method first, on it's own, before you attempt to knit Fair Isle.

Also, I mispoke in the video. I said "Let me show you what it looks like when you're doing a few colors at a time," when I meant to say "Let me show you what it looks like when you're doing a few stitches at a time, of one color." (I'll re-shoot it eventually, but I put it up for you two. I think I'll also go slower, and demonstrate the two knitting methods more clearly, when I re-shoot it.)

~Amy

Kiri
11-22-2004, 02:02 PM
Thank you Amy!

grannymary
11-24-2004, 04:13 AM
I would love to see videos of the Magic Loop and Two circular techniques. I've found directions with pictures but still don't get it.

grannymary

Mara
11-26-2004, 04:08 PM
Oh woe is the girl who wishes to learn how to knit but is only left handed. Is there any way you can show some tips for lefties?

I honestly thought I couldn't knit until I found this site and watched the videos. You make it SO much simpler! I just have to think backwards of what you do but it's so wonderful that I found this place. If you have any tips for lefties (other than the usual "Learn to knit right handed....you're using both hands anyway!" comments I get from every knitter I ask), I would be ever so greatful. :) I want to make my grandmother a scarf for when I go home this christmas. I remember when I was young and she tried to teach me to knit and I just couldn't get it. Bringing home something I made (even something as simple as a scarf) would thrill her to death and it tickles me pink to think of being able to do that for her. :)

So, am I doomed? Must I learn the right handed way? Could you possibly show some tips for a backwards gal like me? :)

amy
11-26-2004, 09:38 PM
GrannyMary. Sure, I'll put the Magic Loop techniques up. It might be a little while, though, because I have to find someone to borrow circular needles from! (I have a set of interchangeable circular needles, but their cables are too thick to demonstrate ML1).

If anyone has a spare pair of circular needles of the same size, and wants to send them to me, I'll send them right back! I'd be grateful not to have to buy a set just for the demo!...

---------------

Mara, there actually is a demo of left handed knitting on this site! It's hiding on the purl page, of all places. I'm not sure if it's the true left handed knitting, because I think that true left handed knitting may wrap the yarn the other way, and end up with the stitches oriented on the needle in the reverse way. If you want to really knit left handed, I would recommend taking a mirror, and holding it up to all of the videos on this site! Look in the mirror, and it will show you exactly what to do! Even on the decrease and increase stitches! (Just remember that your "left slanted" increases and decreases will slant to the right, and vice versa.)

I know I've got you all excited about using the mirror, but I'll mention this anyway. You may want to consider Continental Knitting, where you hold the yarn in your left hand. Yes, you will be putting the right needle into the left needle's loop. If you want, you can always put the left needle's loop "onto" the right needle. It seems to me that this could be done. I've heard that lefties often knit continentally, so it must work out somehow! Anyway, I'd recommend trying it, since with this method you would be able to follow all knitting directions easily, without having to reverse them. Most knitting instructions are given on paper, without a handy video, and reversing paper instructions would be a bit of a drag!

....But of course, you should do whatever is exciting and feels right to you!! :wink: Let me know what you end up doing! I'm curious to hear what works for you!

Happy knitting!
Amy

humblestumble
11-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Angela,
I re-shot the basic knitting videos today, and they're up. I need to re-do them, because I didn't get that good a shot of the yarn holding in the English Knitting video; and while I was shooting the Continental Knitting video, a lawn mower started up!
I would have re-shot them today, but then the clouds rolled in. So I'll have to wait to re-do them, and also to re-do the Basic Purl videos as I've planned...

Sorry I didnt visit sooner, my internet crashed, but I'm back in business! Thanks for those vids!!!

darkavatar
11-29-2004, 03:35 AM
I was wondering if it would be possible for you to show a finished picture of the stitches you have videos for? I'm a newbie, just started knitting a few days ago and I watched both the knit and the purl videos, but I didn't know what the end result was suppose to look like. I showed my friend a sample f what I had been working on and she said that my purl was looking pretty good. I was rather confused cause I thought I had been working on the knit stitch! Yea, so pics would help for people who are easily confused (me)

And if you could possibly include how one would go about using a circular marker, I'd be much obliged. Thanks

Cheers
Amy

amy
11-29-2004, 05:49 PM
Darkavatar,

Check out the new "Ribbing" videos on the Basic Techniques /More page. I show what the knit and purl stitches are supposed to look like. Maybe that will help.

Amy

Ang_3_72
11-30-2004, 01:10 AM
I just started knitting, but my 14 year old son wants me to make him a hacky sack. Can that be done with knitting? If so, any suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks.

amy
11-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Hacky Sacks are usually crocheted. A knit one may not be as durable, but it is certainly possible.

Crocheted pattern:
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/hacky-sack.html

If I were doing it, I'd do it on double pointed needles, starting with a small number of stitches at the bottom, and increasing until I got half way up the ball, then decreasing my way to the top. I don't know off hand what rate of increase and decrease you'd want to do.

It's possible also to do the pattern on straight needles, and work back and forth, basically up and down from top to bottom, all the way around, with fewer rows worked on the ends, and more in the middle. This would be harder to calculate a pattern for. In the end you'd sew a seam from top to bottom (cast-on edge to bind-off edge).

In any case you'll want to work in needles a size or two smaller than recommended gauge, for a tighter gauge that won't leak out any of the filling pellets.

You could try posting your request on it's own thread, and see if any of the experienced knitters can figure out a good pattern for you. If I have time this week, I might take a crack at it myself!

Do you think your skills are up for trying double pointed needles?

Amy

Ang_3_72
12-13-2004, 11:54 AM
Thank you, Amy for the suggestions.
I don't even know what a double needle is for, so my answer would be no. :? I think I will finish my straight lined scarf before trying anything fancy.

Ang

JessicaSant
12-20-2004, 06:19 PM
I think a "Book Reviews" forum would be great. There's SO many knitting books out there -- it'd be great to have a place where I could see what books other people are reading or using and what they thought of them. Amazon is good -- but its always nice to hear a review from people you "know".

(and hey -- the more book links you have to Amazon, Amy -- the better chance you'll have at getting a kick back, right?)

Nuno930
12-20-2004, 06:53 PM
one thing that would be the coolest is taking a pattern and "decoding" it row by row... linking videos where needed.

amy
12-20-2004, 11:03 PM
Jessica, I've sort of attempted a mini-review of several popular books. I just put these book links/reviews up on the free patterns page. Since most of the books are pattern books, I figured I'd stick them there for now. Maybe one day I'll give them their own page!

Nuno, I have actually done that with three patterns. They make for huge videos, unfortunately, which are too big to put on this site! I have included them, however, in a "Bonus CD" that I include with the site CD.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Amy

Nuno930
12-23-2004, 04:15 PM
Nuno, I have actually done that with three patterns. They make for huge videos, unfortunately, which are too big to put on this site! I have included them, however, in a "Bonus CD" that I include with the site CD.

that is awesome Amy! The CD was on my list to buy after the holidays anyway! Any idea how muc you will be charging for it after the holidays?

amy
12-23-2004, 04:35 PM
Nuno,

I just re-read your earlier post, and I'll just clarify this so I'm not misleading you....

The videos on the Bonus CD are "start to finish" project videos. They show three projects from cast-on to bind-off. They are not in written format, so I don't show the pattern "line by line." But the instructions are clear, and a link to the patterns is provided for the two projects that need a written pattern.

The CD prices will go up sometime after Dec. 31st. Probably to $25. Or I may sell the CD for $20, and the Bonus projects seperately. Still working it out....

Amy