PDA

View Full Version : Why am I not getting this?

scared2knit
11-12-2004, 01:20 AM
I am an avid crocheter, but want to learn to knit also. I've been working all day and I am still not getting what to do with what finger, how to get the work to move like in the videos, how do you work at the end of the hook like in the videos, and how the heck do you get the needle to go into the work so easily? Everytime I have to work it back and forth until I get it in (which I think may have something to do with not knowing how to move things).

Am I hopeless? :?:

amy
11-12-2004, 04:10 AM
Scared2knit, don't despair! It's always hard at first. I was reminded of this recently when I tried to learn a different kind of knitting. I was like, "My hands don't know how to do this! This is hard!" And even doing the stitches I know, and have been doing for years, it often takes me several takes to get it to look that good on video!! LOL

If it's hard to get the needle into the stitch, you are knitting too tight. Tension is probably the hardest part to get, and a tight stitch makes knitting ten times as hard as it really is (and that's not an exaggeration). There's a lot to learn at first, and as much talking as I did in the videos, I still managed to forget a couple of major tips....

...you've wrapped the yarn around your pinky, then over your index finger to control the tension. Now, when you have enough yarn to work with, close the pinky against the ring finger, to stop more yarn from coming in. If you need more yarn, open the finger to let it through. (I need to re-shoot the videos to add this!)

Also, when you've hooked the yarn with the right needle, and have pulled it through the stitch of the left needle, push the right needle into that new stitch you've made, as you're slipping the old stitch off the other needle. This action of pushing the right needle further in to the new stitch ensures that enough yarn gets pulled through to go around that right needle. If you don't do this, and the yarn is only looped around the tip of the right needle, that makes a smaller stitch, because the tip of the needle is smaller. Push the needle through to the point where it is its full diameter, and you will ensure you have enough yarn. And don't pull the yarn you're holding in your hand too tight. Give the new stitch a little room.

Just keep at it. Your hands have to learn the motions in their own time. Even when your brain gets it, your hands have their own understanding, and it takes time!

Please don't give up! We're rooting for you!!

~Amy

roxyquiksilver34
12-04-2004, 09:00 PM
I am an avid crocheter, but want to learn to knit also. I've been working all day and I am still not getting what to do with what finger, how to get the work to move like in the videos, how do you work at the end of the hook like in the videos, and how the heck do you get the needle to go into the work so easily? Everytime I have to work it back and forth until I get it in (which I think may have something to do with not knowing how to move things).

Am I hopeless? :?:

Hey Scared - don't worry, Amy's right... it just takes practice, and believe me---- I was all thumbs when I first learned (over 20 years ago --- haven't knitted again until about 6 months ago) and I have a double disadvantage over most other knitters : very small hands and several previously broken/fractured digits from high school and college, which means lots of hand pain and loss of dexterity - so if I can knit a successful piece, you absolutely can too! :D Stick with it and keep trying - you'll see how much fun it can be, maybe even more than crochet!

Try this:

http://klutz.com/catalog/product.php?itemNo=2420&cat=5

My husband bought me this set a few months ago and between the content in that book and Amy's fabulous instruction here on the website, you will learn to knit like a pro!

Good luck!

PiousPoet
12-04-2004, 10:56 PM
I too had issues with knitting to tightly when I started a few weeks ago. I think it helps to take a few second break every row or so and relax your shoulders and wrists until you can get your rhythm down.