PDA

View Full Version : ISO: "The Principles of Knitting" book

amy
12-04-2004, 02:50 AM
I know this is a long shot, but....

I've been using this book that I got from the library, called "The Principles of Knitting." It's 571 pages long, and has been an important reference for me for shooting the videos (with accurate information!) on this site! In short, I really need to keep this book! I'm no where near done using it for this site!

I have to return this book next week, and the book is no longer in print! And get this...the used ones on Amazon are currently selling for $250+! (!!!!)

It's hard to imagine that one of you out there may be willing to give or lend me a $250 book....but on the incredible chance that you might....I'm just putting this prayer out there!

(Oh Christmas Angels, are you listening?....Santa?....)

PiousPoet
12-04-2004, 11:36 AM
You might find this useful. Here's an auction for one on ebay for one that ends in 6 days. May be able to get it for a cheaper price, and the seller has a good rep. Hope it works out for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=378&item=4509737537&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

amy
12-04-2004, 06:53 PM
Wow, how'd you find that?! I just did an eBay search yesterday, and the only one that came up had a starting bid of $200!

This one is currently at only $20! Of course there's still 6 days left.... I'll definitely try bidding! Thanks!!!

Amy

craftyzoey
12-04-2004, 07:35 PM
Amy,
Girl, you need that book - if your website is any indication of the quality of that book - you should own one!! And I can't believe it's out of print!!

I'll check around where I live - at some used book stores and our public library booktique. I'll also ask my Aunt who lives at a retirement village if anyone there might have a copy. She knows a lot of very crafty people - one of her good friends was an Occupational Therapist - she might be a good resource.

I'll keep you posted -

~zoe

amy
12-04-2004, 07:42 PM
Thanks, CraftyZoey!

Yeah, this book is "the book." You know how everybody loves the Vogue Knitting book, because it's got "everything" in it...? Well this book is twice as thick!! (Not to put down Vogue Knitting, in any way. That is an awesome book, and more than sufficient for most knitter's needs. But for a researcher like me, the Priciples of Knitting has been indispensable!)

PiousPoet
12-04-2004, 07:54 PM
Hope the auction turns out well for you.

amy
12-05-2004, 12:55 AM
Thanks PiousPoet. BTW, welcome to the forum! I didn't realize you were new, because I recognize your name from another forum! (tkga?) LOL!

Nice to have you on board!

Amy

PiousPoet
12-05-2004, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I've been on TKGA for a while. :D

Chris
12-15-2004, 08:10 PM
hey there Amy...there is a book on ebay with buy it now, for 235 + 15 shipping....Seller is in NY, maybe I could pick up the book when I go to NY for Christmas.... and if not
I am good for the shipping.....
Anyone else for a contribution??
Chris

amy
12-15-2004, 10:20 PM
Chris, thanks for that offer!

I am very tempted to get that one.

I can't help but wonder, though, if the prices will go down after Christmas? Should we wait? Doesn't it seem like they would go down? They were much lower in October, like $150! (I thought it was a lot then! Now I'm kicking myself!) But with knitting gaining in popularity still, it's hard to tell how much of the price increase is seasonal, and how much is just plain demand!

Hubby thinks I should wait.... What d'yall think? What if it keeps going UP??!!

The good news is, the Christmas angels have been answering my prayers. I've had two other generous contributions towards the book, as well as a handful of "tip jar" contributions. It really helps, I appreciate it so much!

Amy

salsa
12-16-2004, 06:15 AM
I agree with your hubby - wait until after Christmas.

On the other hand, if in hindsight $150 in October was reasonable, why not snipe with a maximum of $150 on this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1362&item=8154920754&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

If you don't win, it's no earth-shattering loss because there are bound to be other books that come up for auction in the New Year when everyone else has spent all their money and you have saved yours... :D

amy
12-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Right on, Salsa. I've taken a crack at that auction. Thanks!

Amy

salsa
12-18-2004, 05:35 AM
Amy, I just checked on your auction. If that person nibbling up your bid beats your high proxy bid, let it go.

I get really spooked by newbie bid nibblers on ebay. That's why I suggested that you "snipe" the auction - ie bid your max at the last minute. It means that sellers - if they are dishonest - can't nibble up your proxy and milk your maximum bid with a secondary ID. And that way you can watch the auction day by day and see if you can see any suspicious bidders or bidding patterns. If you don't like the look of a bidder, you can simply not bid. If it looks OK, go ahead.

That bidder who is nibbling away at your proxy there could be a real genuine newbie ebayer, OR an alternate ID belonging to the seller. Either way, that kind of thing on ebay makes me highly suspicious.

Always snipe in ebay auctions, especially where expensive items are concerned, otherwise you leave yourself open to shill bidding.

amy
12-18-2004, 08:22 AM
Thanks, Salsa, good advice. I used to be in the habit of last-minute bidding, but now I'm lazy! LOL! Maybe I'll use some software my husband found that will do the last-minute bidding for me. I hate having to make an appointment out of it and be there at just the right second.

I'm currently the high bidder at $152.50, but the auction still has a couple of days. A twin auction is currently at $199, so I'd be surprised if mine stayed so low.

But here's hoping!
Amy

salsa
12-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Amy, phew - I'm glad you know about sniping!

I have my fingers crossed for you and hope the bidding stops now. :D

amy
12-20-2004, 10:54 PM
I WON THE BOOK!!!!! WOOHOOOO!!!!! YIPPEEEEEE!!!!

I can't believe it! I put in a max. bid of $175 and won it for $167.50!

It's a Christmas miracle!

Other auctions have been going for so much more! I feel so lucky! :) :) :)

Thanks, Salsa, for suggesting I bid on that one!
Thanks, Chris, for the post you just put up encouraging folks to chip in!! That was so great of you!!!!
Thanks PiousPoet and Crafty Zoey, for your encouragement!

Yay, I'm so happy! :) :) :)
Amy

salsa
12-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Amy, congratulations!!! :D :D :D

That book has found a new home with just the right person!

:D :D :D

PiousPoet
12-21-2004, 02:16 PM
Congrats. Glad o have been of some service.

amy
12-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Today I have the book in my hands. Bliss!

Did I mention that the book has been TOTALLY paid for through donations? You all are incredible! Thank you!!

Amy