PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing with Kool Aid

amy
12-17-2004, 02:34 AM
I came across this great chart a while ago, and saved the image to my computer. Regrettably, I can no longer find the website it came from, or I'd link to it.

[later....I've realized I shouldn't have this image in this thread without permission. Now that we know the site's address, here's (http://web.archive.org/web/20030806075218/http://www.thepiper.com/fiberart/koolaid/images/colorchart-max.jpg) a link to this great color chart image!]

Description of chart: Samples were made by using Kool Aid and Flavor Aid (FA) to dye the yarn! The left column appears to be dyed on white wool, while the right column is the same color dyed on a natural grey wool.

PiousPoet
12-17-2004, 04:39 PM
Very cool.

JessicaSant
12-19-2004, 12:19 PM
Found it! Here's the original site:
http://www.thepiper.com/fiberart/koolaid/

Also, it has the recipes of how to actually dye the yarn with koolaid. Very cool stuff.

If anyone tries it, I'd be very interested in your results.

amy
12-19-2004, 12:29 PM
Great detective work, Jessica!!!

Yay! That site has great info!

Amy

roxyquiksilver34
01-01-2005, 03:54 PM
More info on dyeing with Kool-Aid

http://www.planetshoup.com/easy/tips/dyekool.shtml

PiousPoet
01-01-2005, 10:12 PM
It would be neat if you made a video possibly on this Amy. Just a thought.

roxyquiksilver34
12-13-2005, 11:34 PM
thepiper.com is offline as of 11/19/05 :(

Pity. I hope it comes back up soon - that was an awesome chart.

The current issue of Creative Knitting (Jan 05) magazine has a good article on koolaid/Rit dyeing if anyone is interested.

Vendie
12-14-2005, 07:38 AM
There's a feature in Knitty.com on using Kool Aid as well. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to have some yarn off my spinning wheel soon that I'm going to use Kool Aid on...Now to pick the colors...

purlgrrl
12-14-2005, 08:36 AM
Here's a great page on it too, talks about using tamarindo KA to tone down colors, and just great info overall:

http://lusciousgracious.com/koolaid.htm

I'm ordering some Bartlett Fisherman's natural or WOTA natural to try this with. :) As soon as I finish what's on my needles, I've promised myself. :)

dustinac
12-14-2005, 09:47 AM
We tried this when I went to visit mom lol we got beige yarn and then grape koolaid while it was dying we thought ohhh how gross that is going to be when we took it out and rinsed it we had peach yarn... :?? LOL It was alot of fun and hopefully after Christmas I can try it some more... knittygritty did a show on all types of dying you could do too...

amy
12-14-2005, 03:32 PM
I found the chart again! Archive.org had that page archived, so I've edited my original post, and the link works again. ;)

purlgrrl, that site is great! Love the patterned sock yarn she made!

Arugula
12-16-2005, 10:31 AM
was there color left in the water when you took out the yarn? The site talks about how yarn absorbs color at different rates so you need to wait for the water to be clear in order to be done. I have used food coloring (I would have had to buy koolaid but I already owned food coloring, lol) and when I made purple it absorbed all the red before it absorbed the blue so I just kept nuking it until the water at the bottom of the dish was clear. Let me go take some pics and I'll post how mine turned out...

Arugula
12-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Here are the yarns I dyed with food coloring. The gray balls are the original color.

mintdee
12-16-2005, 11:53 AM
:inlove: Thoes are soooo pretty!

I don't need another hobby I don't need another hobby I don't need another hobby...

Arugula
12-16-2005, 01:03 PM
For me it was learn to dye with food coloring or make everything gray. :rofling: It is really easy, I do it after the kids go to bed and hang them in the shower to dry. It is easy, fast and fairly mess free. Not a bad hobby to take up if you ask me. :D

mintdee
12-16-2005, 01:10 PM
You really are not helping me any here. :roflhard:

Arugula
12-16-2005, 02:59 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: That's because I'm not trying to! :roflhard: :roflhard:

ChroniclesofYarnia
12-16-2005, 03:41 PM
I just got my first dying yarn today, and am going to try it this Sunday (if I can get the time). Do you HAVE to have a microwave to do the kool-aid dying? I have a boatload of kool-aid, but no microwave.

Arugula
12-16-2005, 06:40 PM
um, the other options are putting it in your trunk on a hot day or putting it in the sun for a few hours. Both a problem in winter. You should check the site, maybe they have some more options I didn't bother to read:

kool-aid dyeing (http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/drinkmix.shtml)

duh, I just read it and it says you can steam it in a vegetable steamer for half an hour instead.

Angelia
12-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Julie, that dying is lovely!!!

Is all that yarn wool? Have you tried various yarn types?

dustinac
12-17-2005, 12:41 AM
We let it sit all night cause it was so ugly we just couldn't think that was it... LOL so it was in the koolaid for over 12hrs I'd say... still came out peach... those are really pretty I wanna try it again.. we didn't have vinegar so we didn't do that part :rofling:

Arugula
12-17-2005, 01:15 AM
ah, the vinegar really helps and it needs to have heat too.

Thanks for the compliments! It is all wool. Kool aid/food coloring only works on protein fibers such as silk, wool, alpaca, etc. It won't work on cotton or poly or acrylic. I tried it because I am so broke I can't buy yarn so I've been frogging sweaters from thrift stores and the dyeing makes it feel new to me, yk?

humblestumble
12-17-2005, 01:18 AM
Those are pretty! Wow, I wanna try it, but Im just so scared that I'll mix colors and they'll look yucky.

Arugula
12-18-2005, 02:31 AM
Just do it! (try it on a goodwill find if you are nervous). The one I like the least is the mustard one, when it was wet it was the most marvelous shade of brown and it dried, well, THAT. I mean, what am I going to use that for? An afghan for an old lady? I'm thinking of redyeing it more red or something. I thought I could also dye it blue over the top and it should end up green and purple but not so sure that would improve anything lol

mintdee
12-18-2005, 02:41 AM
Well there you go. I am safe until my DH get around to getting our microwave replaced! :roflhard:

Angelia
12-18-2005, 08:16 AM
Well there you go. I am safe until my DH get around to getting our microwave replaced! :roflhard:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I think I'd have to do it when the dh isn't home. I mean really, what kind of reaction will I get when he asks "what'cha cooking?" and I reply "yarn!" He already thinks I have a problem. He has no idea...

Jeremy
12-18-2005, 11:42 AM
Could we change the title of this thread? Every time I read it I think its a Jim Jones situation :shock: How about dyeing with Kool Aid? ;)

Angelia
12-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Could we change the title of this thread? Every time I read it I think its a Jim Jones situation :shock: How about dyeing with Kool Aid? ;)

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

This place is kind of cult like....

Arugula
12-18-2005, 06:14 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

aprildavis99
12-19-2005, 03:19 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

amy
12-19-2005, 11:31 AM
LOL!! :roflhard: I'm the worst speller ever. :blush: (There! I've fixed it!)

Hey y'all, a great way to "cook" the yarn and set the dye is to do it in a steamer, like Julie/Arugala mentioned. I great trick is to wrap the skein in saran wrap and steam it like that, in a coil in the steamer. The saran wrap keeps multi-colors from blending, and keeps the dye concentrated in the yarn.

Julie, I love your yarns!! The mustard one is my fav'!

mintdee
12-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Whew still safe. I do not own a steamer. I think that you people are trying to get me addicted to another craft! :roflhard: